slug control

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
We're recreating the garden from chicken swamp.

Overnight many of our new planting have been got at by slugs.

Has anyone got any good solutions to protect my poor plants from the slimy hoardes: I'm aware of Pellets, beer traps, rough terrain for them to cross & copper (tho keen to know if just copper will do it or is it best electrified).

I have looked in the gardening board (hence picking up on Night Train's electric fence) but thought a more diverse and busy one might yield some good ideas too.

Ta.

Badgers

Lullabelle

Banana
We're recreating the garden from chicken swamp.

Overnight many of our new planting have been got at by slugs.

Has anyone got any good solutions to protect my poor plants from the slimy hoardes: I'm aware of Pellets, beer traps, rough terrain for them to cross & copper (tho keen to know if just copper will do it or is it best electrified).

I have looked in the gardening board (hence picking up on Night Train's electric fence) but thought a more diverse and busy one might yield some good ideas too.

Ta.

No matter what you try the little bu**ers still work their evil :sad:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Ta.

The copper doesn't need to be electrified.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Hunting by torchlight and killing by immersing in salted water. Keep at it though! It can also get you a reputation with your neighbours as being an eccentric. I quite like being outside in the dark listening to all the other noises going on.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Moderate your consumption. :okay:

Beer - honestly!

Beer
Slugs are attracted to beer. Set a small amount of beer in a shallow wide jar buried in the soil up to its neck. Slugs will crawl in and drown. Take the jar lid and prop it up with a small stick so rain won't dilute the beer. Leave space for slugs to enter the trap.

http://eartheasy.com/grow_nat_slug_cntrl.htm

Save your beer!! It's the smell of fermentation that the slugs are attracted to. Put a bit of yeast, flour and sugar out and you'll have the same effect.

Top Bottom