Slugs and Snails

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Is it true that snails can choose what sex they are when it comes to mating?

Amanda P

Legendary Member
It's even better than that. They can be both sexes at once.

I think the thinking is that, being slow-moving sort of animals, and only able to emerge into the open and be active when conditions are just right (ie warm, wet nights), they have to make the most of their limited opportunities for mating.

So each snail is both male and female at the same time. Two snails will get together, attach themselves to each other foot to foot, and then one or both will stab the other with a little horny harpoon carrying a packet of sperm.

Both snails can get their male ends away, while both can also become pregnant and go on to lay eggs. Two sets of genes exchanged, and two sets of eggs laid as a result of just one encounter.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
... and here's an interesting nugget from Wikipedia on slugs:

Slugs are hermaphrodites, having both female and male reproductive organs.

Once a slug has located a mate, they encircle each other and sperm is exchanged through their protruded genitalia. A few days later around 30 eggs are laid into a hole in the ground, or beneath the cover of objects such as fallen log.

A commonly seen practice among many slugs is apophallation. The penis of these species is curled like a cork-screw and often becomes entangled in their mate's genitalia in the process of exchanging sperm. When all else fails, apophallation allows the slugs to separate themselves by one or both of the slugs chewing off the other's penis. Once its penis has been removed, a slug is still able to mate subsequently, but using only the female parts of its reproductive system.

OP
OP
threebikesmcginty

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Uncle Phil;697010A said:
commonly seen practice among many slugs is apophallation. The penis of these species is curled like a cork-screw and often becomes entangled in their mate's genitalia in the process of exchanging sperm. When all else fails, apophallation allows the slugs to separate themselves by one or both of the slugs chewing off the other's penis. Once its penis has been removed, a slug is still able to mate subsequently, but using only the female parts of its reproductive system.

...and people eat them :smile: - oh vomit!

Do people eat slugs?????? Snails yes (though why I don't know) but slugs??????? xx(xx(:smile: They're so gross!!

That Attenborough series about creepy crawlies had the unforgettable sight of two slugs going at it hanging in mid-air from a rope of their own slime. Those corkscrew dangly bits referred to above come inside from the slug's head if I recall correctly.

Enjoy your slug l'orange!!!

OP
OP
threebikesmcginty

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Morrisette said:
Do people eat slugs?????? Snails yes (though why I don't know) but slugs??????? xx(xx(:smile: They're so gross!!

FYI - buckets at the ready!!!

I came across this recipe for slug fritters which someone might be brave enough to try...maybe we could host the "International Slug Pudding Festival" as part of the Arts Festival. If any of you out there have strong stomachs, the website to look at is http://bertc.com/recipes.htm
Anyway, here it is:

Ingredients
  • 10 freshly slaughtered slugs cleaned of all outer mucous
  • 1/2 cup of cornmeal
  • 1/2 cup of high protein flour
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1/4 cup of heavy cream
  • 4 tbs. of butter
  • 4tsp. of sour cream
Instructions
First chop the slugs into fine mince, then beat the eggs and egg yolks with the heavy cream together. Sift the dry ingredients and then cut 2 tbs of butter into that mixture. Add the egg and cream mixture to the dry ingredients and whip with a whisk vigorously for one to two minutes. Melt one tbs of butter in a sauté pan and pure the batter into 2 1/2 inch cakes in two batches. Serve warm with a dollop of sour cream.

Edit: If you click the link there's some other 'interesting' recipes

Amanda P

Legendary Member
tyred said:
I'm sure the much hated slug must serve some purpose in life?

Grazing the algae off conservatory roofs. Those pale, thin tree slugs are quite good at that.

Can't think of anything else, though, apart, possibly from providing food for thrushes, blackbirds and amphibians.

tyred

Legendary Member
Hover Fly said:
They also eat any spare dog turds that are lying around.

There you go. We need to protect these wonderful creatures.

Now who would want to eat slugs after they have been munching through dog turdsxx(

Top Bottom