Slugs!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
we leave a pot of salted water near the veg they eat and most mornings we have at least 2 or 3 that have drowned

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Cup half buried with a cheapo bitter in it - you'll get loads.

We've had years of tonnes of snails - not too many at present, but we have trimmed down the bushes on the field behind us this year - less 'climbing' opportunity.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
My wife finds it absolutely disgusting that I am able to pick up slugs to get rid of them. They are a bit sticky though. Their goo is tough to wash off your hands.

Shaun

Founder
We occasionally get them inside - in the kitchen - they manage to slither through the air vent for the drier. I usually very quietly grab a sheet of kitchen roll, grab the gooey little tinkers and wrap them in it, and then throw them out of the kitchen window (without alerting Mrs. Admin who would be mortified if she saw them!).

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Our runner beans have been beaten by the slugs/snails ... never managed to make it much above the ground. And this year they are even clambering over the broad beans.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Every evening I go out with a tub of salt: kill them all!!!!!!!! :hyper::crazy: :gun:
Slimy devours of my tender lettuce leaves :cursing:

Shaun

Founder
Do they actually have any positive effect on the environment? Do they eat other bugs or keep other diseases at bay on your flora and fauna?

Or are they just slimey little tykes that leave a silver trail in their wake of garden destruction?!!! :scratch:

Night Train

Maker of Things
Do they actually have any positive effect on the environment? Do they eat other bugs or keep other diseases at bay on your flora and fauna?

Or are they just slimey little tykes that leave a silver trail in their wake of garden destruction?!!! :scratch:
I found this.
They convert leaf litter into compost but also...
They were part of the diet of Indians and of early German immigrants, who batter-fried them.
xx(

Strick

There was something on Radio 2 about slugs a week or so back.
Pat, yes hedgehogs do eat them apparently. This woman that runs one of those hedgehog hospitals (must have small ambulances.....) said she never gets slugs in her garden.
Apparently its not such a good idea to kill them with salt, as the birds then eat them and the salt harms or kills (dont remember which) our little feathered friends.
Lad here swears by the cheap ale in a plastic cup method. :thumbsup:

PaulB

Legendary Member
A suicide-squad phalanx of slugs gave their all on the very steep hill that I am about to go cycling on. They do this repeatedly and there are times my wheels skid on their carcasses and approx one in six pedal turns give me no forward traction. Do you think they have a gripe against cyclists? They are all but impossible to avoid and you have to go through this apocalyptic carnage of slug-meat and slippery innards every time you ascend that hill*.

* At this time of year in wet/damp conditions.

Top Bottom