Slugs!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General

tyred

Legendary Member
Strange but true, I once found a snail stuck the mudguard reflector on my Raleigh. Exactly how it got there or what attracted it there, I have no idea.

pict0032

ohnovino

Large Member
They've destoyed anything I've planted in the ground this year :angry:

Top tip for protecting potted plants: slugs and snails won't crawl over bare metal. I took the insulation off some electrical cable and wrapped the bare wire around my pots, and so far they've escaped the massacre.

ASC1951

Guru
Strange but true, I once found a snail stuck the mudguard reflector on my Raleigh. Exactly how it got there or what attracted it there, I have no idea.
Maybe Sir needs to pedal faster? ;)

My veg plot may be an organic oasis, but not for slugs and snail - they get the blue pellets of death. It's either that or give up growing beans, salads, parsley ... This year the sods are even eating my rhubarb leaves. Having a pond full of frogs helps keep them down, but even the frogs must be overfaced by the numbers at the moment.

Ditto woodlice. usually it's too dry for them by now, but when I pick up a strawberry to stuff in my mouth I find it's 50% woodlouse.

Night Train

Maker of Things
A few years ago a friend had slugs crawling under her front door, doing a circuit of her living room and back out again.
I built an electric fence.

Using fine copper wire tacked flat on the door step and a foot up each side of the door frame I made a 'fence' of +ve and -ve strands about 6 strands wide, and attached a 9V battery.
No more slug trespass though the slug trails outside showed that there was a lot of exploring the extents of the fence before they gave up.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Maybe Sir needs to pedal faster? ;)

My veg plot may be an organic oasis, but not for slugs and snail - they get the blue pellets of death.

Ditto woodlice. usually it's too dry for them by now, but when I pick up a strawberry to stuff in my mouth I find it's 50% woodlouse.

I can't use slug killer: it's poisonous to cats :cry:
Yes, woodlice are at my strawberries too :cry:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
There was something on Radio 2 about slugs a week or so back.
Pat, yes hedgehogs do eat them apparently. This woman that runs one of those hedgehog hospitals (must have small ambulances.....) said she never gets slugs in her garden.
Apparently its not such a good idea to kill them with salt, as the birds then eat them and the salt harms or kills (dont remember which) our little feathered friends.
Lad here swears by the cheap ale in a plastic cup method. :thumbsup:

Need to get myself a family of hedgehogs!
Tried the beer, not all of them fell for it, lots left alive to chomp on my veg.
The wee birdies do not frequent my garden, because BigCat looms :eek:

OP
OP
craigwend

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
http://www.slugoff.co.uk/killing-slugs/beer-trap

beer-trap.jpg

and to think when i was a student on my dodgy summer job, they sold these for silly money...

al78

Guru
Whenever I had vulnerable plants outside I used to go out at night with a torch and a pair of scissors, ideally when it was damp, and go round slicing any in half that I found in the garden. Provided I went out every (or nearly every) night this did help a lot in reducing slug damage. I often caught them in the act eating young plants. Once the plants get above a certain size you don't need to go out so much as well established plants can withstand a certain amount of damage.

asterix

Comrade Member
They've destoyed anything I've planted in the ground this year :angry:

Top tip for protecting potted plants: slugs and snails won't crawl over bare metal. I took the insulation off some electrical cable and wrapped the bare wire around my pots, and so far they've escaped the massacre.

danger_11000_volts-100x33.jpg

Top Bottom