Slugs!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ASC1951

Guru
I can't use slug killer: it's poisonous to cats :cry:
So I gather, but I don't have a cat, nor do my neighbours. I deploy The Blue Pellets of Death in very small numbers - just round the base of a few vulnerable seedlings - and they are there for weeks and weeks, so I'm fairly sure nothing takes them except the slugs.

Nihal

Veteran
Every evening I go out with a tub of salt: kill them all!!!!!!!! :hyper::crazy: :gun:
Slimy devours of my tender lettuce leaves :cursing:

Look,you must stop weeing on them:laugh:

Need to get myself a family of hedgehogs!
Tried the beer, not all of them fell for it, lots left alive to chomp on my veg.
The wee birdies do not frequent my garden, because BigCat looms :eek:
:stop:
On the other hand,you shoul try the Archie_tect's method:smile: or there is

danger_11000_volts-100x33.jpg
Not for you,i believe;)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I saw two on one of my lilies from my kitchen window - went out to remove them only to discover they have chomped through the top just below the flower buds.

Even my well developed broad beans are suddenly loosing all their leaves.

Death to all slugs and snails!

Crankarm

Guru
The fecking slugs have had most of my strawberry patch this year. Death to them all. The slimy feckers! Some are the size of huge cigars. I hate slugs. Last year I put down tonnes of slug pellets which cost a small fortune. This year I forgot and haven't been in the garden so much due to scum bag housing association neighbours.

Anway I went out tuesday morning armed with a huge pair of scissors. I must have cut about 100 slugs in half. Some of them hugemongous. The next day there were just as many again some obese ones feeding on my strawberries so I got a half brick and crushed the feckers. Serves you right! Lots of woodlice and snails as well although didn't crush these but threw down the bottom of the garden. I had one giant strawberry the size of a lemon totally hollowed out by the feckers. I was livid. Anway I managed to salvage some strawberries but a lot had to be discarded due to slug/snail/woodlice attack. It is war.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I must admit to not being bothered by them and they are natures composters which sadly do not look so nice ! Have a close up look at one,they are quite amazing.......or is that just me ????

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I must admit to not being bothered by them and they are natures composters which sadly do not look so nice ! Have a close up look at one,they are quite amazing.......or is that just me ????

They only "compost" young, tender leaves. You don't see them chomping on weeds or in the compost heap :cursing:

They're great, I catch them - pretty easy that bit - and I have a special place I keep them and replace it every couple of days....saves me a fortune in Assos Cream!

al78

Guru
Two other options if you don't like killing things:

1. Grow some sacrificial plants that slugs love (Hostas are good) well away from the plants you want to protect.

2. Put a pile of young, wilting, dying foliage/leaves away from your plants and in a damp, sheltered area, the slugs will tend to go for that instead.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
[quote="al78, post: 1923269, member: 6644
2. Put a pile of young, wilting, dying foliage/leaves away from your plants and in a damp, sheltered area, the slugs will tend to go for that instead.[/quote]

Tried that: they went for the spinach instead :cry:
Anyway, it's raining buckets again, the whole garden is damp and a swamp, arghhhhhhhh!!!!! (AND I'm off for a week)
Moan over :rolleyes:

Nihal

Veteran
Hmm....a lot of swearing and "i am the devil and i'll kill you" going on in this thread.............tell that to the slugs

And Pat,you seeming have clever adversaries who are outwitting you

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Not so amazing when you get up for a drink in the night,and tread on one
on the kitchen floor and it squidges between your toesxx(
I can better that ! We lived in a row of terraced houses,one year the empty house at the end of the row became infested with cockroaches which in turn headed down the row.....morning roach roulette in your shoes was the order of the day until the council cleared the mess up !

Top Bottom