Small road bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Offroad, granted, it could be very difficult!

On good flat tarmac on a still day and riding in a fairly comfortable position with hands on the hoods, you'd only need to sustain just over 100 W to do 25 kph which should be okay for anybody who doesn't have health problems and who cycles regularly?
I don't ride off road as in mtb, just not on roads. And even if I did, where's this 'good, flat tarmac'? Not even the best of west country roads have much of this. And, flat bars. Only. Check the Burrator ride I posted last, here. Easily the smoothest ride I ever undertake, and even that was a hard average to achieve,. I was far from the slowest doing the circuits...I will certainly say I don't do enough miles, but I do what I can.
So, to bring this thread detour to an end, I can perfectly see why e-bikes work for so many, because a sustained 15.5mph would seem like flying to a lot of cyclists.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru

Alex321

Veteran
I’m 5’7” so need 50 in kinesis 51 in cannondale & 52 in most other stuff.

It isn't just about your height. Inside leg and arm length also matter when deciding a bike size.

Though you probably have a pretty good idea of that, given you have looked at a variety.

I'm 5'9" but with an inside leg of 29" definitely want the smaller option if 5'9" is covered by more than one. I think the 53cm Cube I just bought is pretty well spot on for me (according to their charts, either 53 or 56 is OK for 5'9").

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
I didn’t sell my Wiggins Rouen and I am hankering after going back to discs because I want to ride outside this winter instead of when it is just dry.

The spec is updated slightly from the initial advert with 38cm end to end or 36cm C2C bars, white Fizik bar tape, fulcrum racing 5 wheels and a Ritchey 100mm 6 degree stem.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/wiggins-rouen-48cm-seat-tube-and-52cm-tt.274406/

Let me know if it is of any interest?

Cheers Chris
I’d get my self dropped on that I’m afraid. Great for a beginner or commuter or trainer bike.

I’d get my self dropped on that I’m afraid. Great for a beginner or commuter or trainer bike.
:blush::blush::becool: No probs, I can smash out a good 16-17mph on it as I spend most of my time in the bottom 3/4 cogs anyway which wouldn’t be much different to a 10/11 speed. Only really struggle with the uphill as the jumps are larger up to the 30 but to be honest I spend most climbs in the 26 or 28 and rarely use the 30t.

With lights, computer and saddle bag it nudges just over 11kg which is fairly light.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
:blush::blush::becool: No probs, I can smash out a good 16-17mph on it as I spend most of my time in the bottom 3/4 cogs anyway which wouldn’t be much different to a 10/11 speed. Only really struggle with the uphill as the jumps are larger up to the 30 but to be honest I spend most climbs in the 26 or 28 and rarely use the 30t.

With lights, computer and saddle bag it nudges just over 11kg which is fairly light.
We are 22-23 mph on weds nights & average bike weight is 8 kg. I bet Bradley Wiggins would struggle a lot too.

Top Bottom