Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old jon

Guru
A bright clear morning out there, which pleased me a lot. Travelling north on a train yesterday I had a sight of Almscliff Crag, which reminded me that I have not ridden around that way for a while. This lack was rectified today.

Take the Spa out today ‘cos there would be uphill stuff to do and it has the lowest gears by a long way. Shows how slow my thinking is in a morning, the lower gears on the Spa have not yet been used. Their time may come, though. For now, pedal off through a bit of Holbeck and then to Crown Point Bridge. Up to Oakwood, turn left to head for the big park gates. Shortly after that turn right. Across the Ring Road and up the hill to Slaid Hill. Might even be up Slaid Hill, dunno.

Go to Wike from there, Forge Lane takes me to the Harrogate Road and I head north to Harewood. Turn left to ride through the park and down to the A659. Its a lot quieter than the road. Back to the A61 Harrogate Road for a while, I want to cross the Wharfe and the nearest bridge is on that road. There is a left turn a bit further on, to Dunkeswick and then the road meanders to Weeton, and Huby. Weeton railway station is in Huby, if that matters.

More to the point, at the bottom of Strait Lane, in Huby, is a road closed sign. Vague memory says there is pavement all the way to Crag Lane, so I ignored the sign and went that way. Pavement not needed, stamina an essential. Seems to be a lot of up, and more to come before reaching Almscliff Crag. Stopped for a munch by there, just after my restart I was passed by another rider. Not a problem at all, he did all the work on the way down to Stainburn, no worries about anything coming up the hill . . .

Through the southern corner of Leathley, for a while ride at the side of the River Washburn then turn right onto the A658 ( Bradford / Harrogate road) to cross the Wharfe again at Pool. Riding up Pool Bank did not feel like a good option, so a left turn points me at Arthington. Just after riding under the viaduct turn right. Creskeld Lane is almost always quieter than Pool Bank, apart from the noise I make cramming air into my lungs. There are some steep bits. And Bramhope at the top.

For a bit more up stuff, I turned left at the roundabout to ride up Kings Road. Down past Golden Acre Park and ride across Adel dam. The A660 is next, Headingley, Kirkstall and down the towpath again to Leeds centre, more or less. The sight of home was good, thirty six miles after leaving it. A bit of a puzzled smile today, the ride felt a lot more than 2100 feet. There may have been barometric shenanigans going on, not that I saw anything like that. Good day for a good ride.

More scribblings . . .

04082021.jpg

0408elev.jpg

geocycle

Legendary Member
A perfect weather forecast required a day off and a bike ride, especially as the weekend sounds wet. Headed up toward Windermere but decided that I didn’t want to deal with the crowds. Instead, did a tour of the Lythe valley, or specifically a loop around the limestone ridge that is Witbarrow. On route I stopped at Levens hall which boasts a new cafe since last time I was there. I got a slice of courgette and lime cake with a coffee which is two of my five a day. Then late lunch at Sizergh castle. 63 miles and 1200 m of climbing.

As indicated, some time out at Burrator Resevoir today. Not huge mileage, ws going for a bit more speed as it's a pure road route. Narrow in places, and busy with tourists and Dartmoor ponies, particularly around the two Willy's. Really, the ice-cream vans are Willy's...
Weather warm and nearly windless until the beginning of the last lap, where the breeze picked up enough to lop a gear off the fastest section.
Riding the Revell mixte today. Noticed a bit of wobble, so tried to provoke it. Definitely there. On the next drink stop, guess what? Headset loose. Did it up as best I could with my hands and ploughed on. Must address this, although don't really know how much tighter I can realistically get it.
Stats:

Not many miles, but considerably better average speed due to lack of lumps! Most miles in a week for, lo, these many moons!

Only did a seven miler today but mostly along the canal towpath. So five miles along the towpath which is non-stop hard, stony, teeth-rattly bumpy!

Once you get off the officially-cyclable/promoted for cycling bit it improves greatly for both walking and cycling (in good weather) but it was too humid to enjoy going much further so I turned back with a diversion to the park, where three blokes were trying to retrieve a very expensive radio controlled boat in the pond. It had been dive-bombed and sunk by a marauding seagull! I asked them how deep the water was - about 2ft 6 - 3ft where the boat had gone down - so I suggested the tallest bloke get himself kitted out with a good set of waders ... Oh! A lightbulb went on over their heads! I wonder if they did manage to (a) borrow some waders and/or (b)retrieve the boat?

Rain is forecast now for the next few days but I'll try to get out tomorrow morning before it arrives - I want to try an experimental route to Lidl which will have to involve some walking/pavement pushing, but which, if it works out, will save me a significant sum in taxi fares every ten days or so, once I've set up some carrying capacity on the bike.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Had some stuff to do in Welwyn, so I took the opportunity to do the Alban Way from Hatfield to St Albans and back. Parked at the old station in Smallford, and rode towards Hatfield to the old station at Nast Hyde Halt.
Ghost Station.jpg

There's an old platform there too, but my phone was getting low on charge. I then turned round and went to St Albans for lunch at GR Eggs, purveyors of fine sausage rolls and adequate coffee. Did a quick detour on the way back to find the Plough, which I've seen signs to for about a gazillion years, or at least three decades. It was shut. One for next time. A fairly short ride at about 14 miles, but I do like an old railway line. And an excuse to take the Brommie out after getting new rim tape and inner tubes on :okay:

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Yesterday, after a day of rest following my Talla Wall ride, I headed South from Moffat on the East bank of the Annan, hoping for a flat ride. Compared to Talla and the upper Megget on Monday's ride the scenery was a little drab with coos eating grass and occasional glimpes of the motorway and extensive wind farms. The road was very quiet though and I saw only two cars in the first ten miles.

The minor road joined a B road running alongside the motorway for a couple of miles before crossing over to Millhousebridge where I also crossed the Annan to the West bank. Time to swing back North towards Moffat on more very quiet and flattish roads with improving scenery as I was now heading towards the hills around Hart Fell.

There was a bit of a drag along here; not steep but it didn't seem to have a summit. My back was becoming increasingly painful from the hard pedalling so I was looking for a place to stop and have a stretch but with neck high vegetation in the verges I just had to stop in the road when it became too painful to continue. Even though I hadn't seen a car for miles almost immediately a Good Samaritan stopped to see that I was OK. 'Just a touch of sciatica.' I reassured them and waved them off.

After stretching for a while I was able to continue back to Moffat to enjoy the anesthetic effects of a couple of pints of Lowland Brewery Twa Dugs IPA.

No pics as there wasn't much to see but here's the route.

1628170331416.png

ianbarton

Veteran
Yesterday looked as though it would be the last day of sunshine for a while. I set off on my Wem circuit. There was a gentle breeze that was enough to cool me, but not strong enough to slow me down. There was a lot of traffic on the A41 so I had a nice rest waiting for a gap. I cycled up into Prees and turned left by the Church cycled down a long incline losing all the height I had just gained until I turned right onto an unnamed lane that lead to Prees lower Heath. The road past the school is a good example of smooth unpotholed tarmac. Soon I was back on the B road that leads into Wem. Passing Soulton Hall and Wem industrial estate I was soon at the level crossing by the station.

Cycling through the High Street I was pleased to see the library cafe open and went inside to order a toasted sandwich and an Americano. There was a film showing, which judging at the assembled crowd was for children. After finishing lunch I continued along the high street and turned right up the hill to Poolhead. The breeze was behind me now so I made good progress to Whixall. I was soon at Prees station where I had a nice rest while waiting for a train to pass. There was the usual slog up the hill from the centre of Prees to the Church. I was rewarded by a long downhill descent to cross the A41 and back through Ightfield to home.

57 km and 560 metres of climbing.

vlcsnap-2021-08-05-15h16m35s426.png

Wem high street. Yes the cafe is open today!

vlcsnap-2021-08-05-15h17m48s351.png

Whixall village hall.

vlcsnap-2021-08-05-15h19m23s587.png

Nice rest at Prees station waiting for a train.

vlcsnap-2021-08-05-15h23m56s240.png

Patching some potholes.

04_08_21 - A bik.png

Did the Lidl run today before the rain started - it's not far really but there's one mile which is horrible - what should be a nice cycle route now runs through loads of ongoing new-build construction with barriers - often makeshift, some of them hard to see from a distance - scattered liberally along the non-trafficed section, and the trafficed section - which used to be a mildly-residential, mainly rural, lane - now has big lorries bouncing along it with some MASSIVE potholes and gouges. I talked with a resident working on his hedge as I waited for a big construction lorry to pass, and he said it is a constant nightmare.

So - I don't know whether it will be a viable proposition, all those narrow, angled, barriers with a fully-loaded bike - panniers or trailer - and the muck from construction traffic and building. It's all very well in high summer but all that getting off to manoeuvre the bike around the barriers, get on again, off again 50 yards further on ad infinitum, would be a nightmare in the rain and with the detritus from construction under foot and under wheel. I'm still planning on getting some luggage/shopping capacity, though. It seems silly not to.

Did the Lidl run today before the rain started - it's not far really but there's one mile which is horrible - what should be a nice cycle route now runs through loads of ongoing new-build construction with barriers - often makeshift, some of them hard to see from a distance - scattered liberally along the non-trafficed section, and the trafficed section - which used to be a mildly-residential, mainly rural, lane - now has big lorries bouncing along it with some MASSIVE potholes and gouges. I talked with a resident working on his hedge as I waited for a big construction lorry to pass, and he said it is a constant nightmare.

So - I don't know whether it will be a viable proposition, all those narrow, angled, barriers with a fully-loaded bike - panniers or trailer - and the muck from construction traffic and building. It's all very well in high summer but all that getting off to manoeuvre the bike around the barriers, get on again, off again 50 yards further on ad infinitum, would be a nightmare in the rain and with the detritus from construction under foot and under wheel. I'm still planning on getting some luggage/shopping capacity, though. It seems silly not to.

Ah yes, the usual "well it's not a road so it isn't important" attitude of roadworks planners.

Old jon

Guru
A bit grey this morning, and a promise of showers too. Might wash some of the dust off the Bob Jackson, thought I. Lets go!

Thinking of travelling east today, so cross the river at Crown Point and head up to Oakwood, only to remember that Wetherby Road is closed just beyond the clock. OK, turn right there, to Easterly Road. Apt. Turn left there and I am soon back on track. Up the hill, stay on the A58 all the way to Carr Lane, ride down that to Thorner. And climb Milner Lane to leave. One of my favourite bits of road, but today turn right onto Holme Farm Lane and head to Bramham.

Paradise Way really is a silly name for a road, but I do not use much of it this morning. There is that really steep left turn onto the road that passes the allotments, a bit further on and it is Toulston Lane. Open country again, some long views and some views obscured by woodland and at least one mirage. I had turned right, to go to Stutton, there is a crossroads a couple of hundred yards away. The cars crossing from the left looked to be coming out of a white wall. I blame my new glasses. And the wall vanished when I was closer . . .

Which I suppose is a good thing. Straight over the crossroads and ride past Red Brick Farm, turn right after a left hand bend and pass Jackdaw Crag Quarry. There are quite a few Jackdaw Crags hereabouts. A long gentle descent now, all the way to Stutton. Actually saw someone in the village today, walking a dog. And on the way out to the A162 were the joggers. A really busy morning for Stutton.

Down the A162, south that is, to Towton, where I turned right onto the B1217, a much quieter road. This rises for a distance, I stopped at the top to eat. Long views here too, Hook Moor wind farm sort of looks OK, more or less due south is Ferrybridge power station. Fugly, but I don’t have to look at it, do I?

Moving again, the gates at Lotherton Hall are soon passed, but going towards Garforth today. Around the north of the town and cross the A63 at the erstwhile George roundabout, take the second exit for the hill leading to Swillington. That is the last of the gasping for breath today, Swillington is downhill in this direction, and after crossing the river and the canal, I turned right.

To ride upstream, but on dry land, back to Leeds. The Armouries, on the south side of Crown Point Bridge, to be accurate. A short pedal home from here, the grin is already in place, it has been such a good ride out. A few showers in the thirty eight miles and 1700 feet of upward stuff. Some really wonderful roads to ride on too, cannot be bad!

Clockwise riding, up and down too,

06082021.jpg

0608elev.jpg

AndreaJ

Veteran
First ride was actually on Wednesday when it was still like summer. Started out towards Nonely, Myddle and Burlton before turning back towards Loppington to get to English Frankton, Colemere, Lyneal then through to Welshampton. Turned off by the school to Breadon Heath, across the road to Bettisfield and into Northwood. Headed into Whixall making enough random turns to make it a 50km ride before heading home via Creamore and Highfields. 32.3 miles.
3B189FC4-0B05-4E21-B49A-87B34C0DAA99.jpeg

477517AC-20AC-4E12-935D-C59259EE7744.jpeg

FE41F733-0FB2-44B6-AC98-04DCEEE20648.jpeg

Today’s ride was a shorter one due to a lack of motivation especially as it wasn’t very warm and was very windy! Set off past The Moatshed to Horton and onto the Wem road before turning to Loppington. Took the longer way round to the crossroads which was a mistake, I wasn’t paying enough attention to the rubbish road surface, hit a pothole and got a puncture. Unfortunately we have had a lot of rain this morning and this was a wet and muddy lane. Sorted the puncture and carried on to Brown Heath, Pikes End, Lyneal, past the sailing club and around Colemere, Welshampton and Hampton Bank. Turned up to the caravan park and back to Loppington, Wolverley and home.
20 miles which was what I was aiming for. I was glad I went in the end despite the puncture and the wind but I really should clean my bike more often because I was much muddier than you should be in August.
C49E34BA-958A-4420-9E23-83ADECC25212.jpeg

The view from my unscheduled stop.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Feeling a little bit rough after drinking too much beer last night at the start of my birthday weekend 🎂
Out on my Tricross at 9.30am, met with David from our village for a ride out to Drax. This is a really flat ride but can be pretty brutal in parts when it is so windy as it was this morning.
Had to stop in Carlton to buy extra fluid and take a gel, felt a bit better after that.
46.86 miles with an average of 16.8 mph, despite the hangover it was a lovely spin out.

Top Bottom