Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Took advantage of cooler but dry weather for a ride up to Dent head. Road to Ingleton then took the steep Oddies Lane on to the Chapel le dale road. Had the Goodies theme tune all the time. Out onto the Hawes road and past the Hill Inn. Disappointed to see it closed, hopefully not permanently. Down to Ribbleshead where a huge number of people had gathered. I can’t quite work out why it is such a honey pot, yes the viaduct is magnificent but it’s not an obvious walking area. I continued upward to Dent Head then the long descent under the Dent viaduct and along the Dee through Dentdale. I love the rock bed stream. Had lunch in Dent before the Gawthrop climb up the valley side to Barbondale. Probably my favourite descent in the area, not too steep with great visibility. 61 miles just missing a metric century with 1200 m of climbing.

Pictures are of Ingleborough looking moody, some ragwort providing a scale for the view to Dentdale, knapweed adding colour, meadow sweet framing Ribblehead viaduct and wonderful Barbondale.

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Sorry, no photos again. Although only three of us ventured out today, (given the weather forecast), this was still a club ride, and as usual I spent the whole ride making sure I kept in touch with the others. I did download this one picture though, as it was the first time we'd been through Owlpen, and it was a stunning little hidden gem of a village that I had to share:

The ride started with us heading out to Stroud, and then doing a long, steady , 2 mile climb up through Nailsworth on the A46 before turning for Chavenage house (for coffees) and Tetbury. We did about 4 miles of roads that were new to me, including the ride through Owlpen on the way back. This involved a ridiculously steep descent down a narrow lane that was hemmed in by high hedges. Two of us got off and walked, as I'm not sure our brakes would have been up to it if we'd needed to stop suddenly. Owlpen itself is a stunning little hamlet, tucked away in the bottom of a steep little dell. While we were passing through, we had to be careful not to hurt a swarm of tiny froglets hopping across the road. On the way back up the other side of the valley towards Uley, we heard the distinct sound of an owl hunting in the field to our left.... at 12.30pm in bright sunshine .... in the village of Owlpen. Just under 48 miles done in all. Another great ride in great company.
Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:

AndreaJ

Veteran
Better weather to be out today. Set off to Loppington, across to Myddle and down Lower Road to Merrington passing warnings of road closures in the next few weeks. Carried on through Old Woods and turned towards Eyton which did have a road closed sign in the road, decided to keep going and see if I could get past, got as far as the railway crossing before I saw any signs of roadworks which were easily negotiated. As I got nearer to Baschurch by the schools there were lots of roadworks which were passable today as there was no work going on but I wouldn’t like to try it on a weekday- there are a lot of holes in the road! I turned off to Stanwardine, Bagley , Tetchill, into Ellesmere , up Swan Hill to Coptiviney then Breadon Heath. Over the road to Hampton Bank, Northwood and home. 33.5 miles.
582DF6AB-B2CF-4834-8F58-213CD79D9EAE.jpeg

Mike_P

Guru
Midday Sunday and the sun was out contrary to the overcast weather forecast which quickly became true as clouds built. Another climb of Humps and a Hill before joining the route of NCN67 through the showground; beyond a PR up the climb of Rudding Lane. Away from the NCN down Haggs Road, through Spofforth and onto Wetherby on the A661. Thence to Wighill where I took a break by the church before heading through Tadcaster, onto the A162 and then east on the B1223 to the 6th letter ABC of Ulleskelf.

Across Cawood swing bridge and through Kelfield to reach Riccall, passed by a Morris Minor. A bench on the village green commemorates the 100th anniversary of the end of WW1. The sun briefly put another appearance.

Followed NCN65 northwards; the initial off road section was a path just wide enough to cycle along between the metal railings dividing it from the A19 and encroaching shrubbery, away from the A19 it was wider and then became almost overgrown – I opted to walk that bit.

Picking up speed on the NCN I decided that the short sleeve jersey needed the arm warmers putting on – they were not a success and I puzzled whether they were actually calf warmers for use with bib knickers. The NCN itself had its tarmac surface adversely affected by tree roots acting like speed bumps which did diminish in frequency the further north I got. Featuring the Solar Way to scale Earth to Mars is just 0.08 mile. NCN65 turned right to York, I carried straight on, apparently this was NCN665 – an uphill three quarters circle brought it to road level. I turned left onto a shared pavement without any obvious cycle provision beyond Slow markings either side of a blind bend and paused to let two pedestrians pass. There was a cycle lane marked on the vehicular carriageway and at the first opportunity I used that instead. At a roundabout, not entirely understanding the Wahoos map display, I concluded Local Traffic was the exit I wanted and so indeed it was, joining onto last Sundays route from Woodthorpe, which this time had the purpose of leading me to Askham Bryan.

Paused by the duck pond at Askham Richard, the sun was now breaking through, and turned west at Long Marston onto the B1224 to reach Bilton In Ainsty. The Church of St Helen is a Grade I Listed Building dating, with changes, from the 12th century.

Thereafter north to rejoin last Sundays route via Cowthorpe.

Beyond the A1(M) and old A1 (now A168) overbridges I came across a cyclist wheeling his bike; on enquiring the issue it transpired both tyres had punctured twice in quick succession and his wife was on the way to rescue him. Followed the Nidd Gorge through Knaresborough, with the time now after 5pm I judged that it should not be too crowded and achieved a PR, a train on the viaduct at busy times would have caused too much distraction amongst pedestrians

Stayed on the vehicular carriageway of the A59s climb away and then the Starbeck branch of NCN67.
65.58 miles/105.7km, 2067ft climbed, 14.6mph avg

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
A grey morning again, but a morning free to ride a bike. It has been a long time since the last ride or maybe it just feels that way. Wheel the fixed to the road and pedal off, after removing a pebble that had somehow fixed itself in the gap between cleat and sole of my left shoe.

A solo ride today, no targets, just a gentle ride around a well used set of roads. And towpaths too. Only one towpath, but in both directions. Should that count as two? No odds, ride through Holbeck to Water Lane and take the left turn to the Leeds and Liverpool Canal and the rather busy towpath. Must have been going to work time. Return to the road at Viaduct Road, down the dip and then climb to Headingley. This is when I start calling myself names, riding the fixed takes more ooomphhh. Which is part of the reason I bought it. Maybe.

The road still rises, cross the Ring Road and another couple of hundred yards to the top. And at the next set of lights turn right onto Church Lane. All the way to Adel Dam, some downhill along here. Not much though, the eastern side of Golden Acre Park is uphill in this direction. The reward is a rather pretty descent of Kings Road, on the way to Bramhope.

Through the rest of the village and carry on to the Dyneley Arms, still shut, and turn right to go down Pool Bank. Before reaching the bottom, yes I did check the chain tension before leaving home. And wrongly thought that one more ride was needed before adjusting it. Put chain back on sprocket and chainwheel and cautiously ride to a better, and less steep, spot to adjust the chain properly.

And on to Otley, the A659 is such a useful road and almost impossible to avoid when riding north of Leeds. And today it had its very own raincloud too, or maybe the cloud was mine. Between the maypole and the top of Leeds Road I pedalled under three showers of rain, cunningly timed so that once dry the next shower arrived and I was wet again. Weather is wonderful!

Heading for home now, straight to Headingley and the right turn down to Kirkstall. Back on the towpath, the bridge that was closed a while ago is closed again, this time with folk working on it, and some support structure underneath which allowed the towpath to be used. Good stuff. A lot of boats were moving today, most travelling west.

So, back to Office Lock, and Water Lane. The short cut through a corner of Hunslet has been made longer by some recent road improvements, some of which do not seem to be improvements, what do I know? Soon home anyway, wearing that grin given by a good ride. A mere thirty miles and 1476 feet of elevation gain, it was fun!

Imagery, credit to garthing.

02082021.jpg

0208elev.jpg

jongooligan

Legendary Member
It's been a while.

Barely touched a bike during the pandemic but this morning found me in Moffat with the sun shining, dew on the grass and not a breath of wind. If I couldn't find the motivation to get out in those conditions then when would I get out?

First up was the climb to Devil's Beef Tub, a very gentle but sustained five miler with incredible views of Hart Fell and the upper Annan Glen. It took a while, what with my lack of riding and the cushion of fat that's appeared around my middle in the past 18 months. But there was no rush and at 6.30 in the morning I saw only 8 cars in the first hour of riding. It was so quiet I could hear the Armco barriers creaking as they warmed up in the early morning sun.

In the second hour of the ride it became even quieter - no cars at all after the turn off at Tweedsmuir for the road to the Talla Dam.
20210802_082015[1].jpg

Talla Reservoir

Met up with a couple of lads at the end of the reservoir who had been wild camping. They'd just packed all their gear onto MTBs and twiddled up the very steep climb with me. I had to stop on the double chevron ascent to take off my arm and leg warmers and not because my lungs were bursting out of my ears. The MTB lads were riding from Glasgow to Manchester and this was their third day so taking it very easy if you don't take into account 20kg of gear on each bike. I wished 'em luck at the top and bombed off down the descent.

It's a belter. Not very wide but with good sight lines and given how little traffic there had been I just let the bike go, only braking at the cattle grids. The scenery is spectacular too but I wasn't going to stop to take pics.

At Cappercleugh I turned for Moffat. Past St. Mary's Loch where tents were guyed to the 'No Camping' signs, past the Tibbie Shiels Inn which looks like it's closed for good now and up the drag to the county boundary. Another fab descent down into Dumfries and Galloway and I started to think about breakfast. Not long now before I'd be back into Moffat. It wasn't like that though. A rising headwind, tired legs unaccustomed to cycling and some unexpected climbs had me grovelling into the town half an hour later than I'd expected.

I really enjoyed it. Wouldn't say I've got my mojo back but thinking about going out again in a couple of days when the pain has subsided a bit.

1627912885529.png

First of this month's outings, on the Revell to lay the ghost of The Big Wobble. Nothing wobbled.
Managed Leg O'Mutton ramp in a planned two stages, stopping in the middle for refreshments. Progress!
Otherwise uneventful, although ridiculously busy with walkers and cyclists. Much leaving open of gates that should be closed, grrr...
Bike just worked. There is still somewhat of a problem with the rear braking, which the dual-pivot upgrade has improved, but not eliminated. I'm wondering if lubricant is somehow getting on the rim during a ride, as I fully cleaned the rim and blocks with isopropanol before setting out. Hmmm...
Stats:

Added the loop around Clearbrook again. The excessively steep lane before rejoining the trail needs really good brakes!
A nice ride all told, and beginning to see my target get a little closer.

Few spots of rain but pretty nice 18 miler around Llangollen area. Quick stop off at Horseshoe Falls which seemed lively.

Did the aqueduct 12+ months ago, and it was much cooler today, view from an odd angle

Bridge over the Dee, ooh, 500yds from aqueduct?

Love the view from that bridge, looking west towards the hills around Llangollen, just to remind you why the old legs ache a bit ^_^

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
The plan for today was to head out for a ride with my brother. Unfortunately he developed a migraine an hour or so beforehand and wasn't in a fit state for a ride.:sad:

I decided to get out anyway and picked the Galaxy for this one. The weather started to look a little iffy so the revised plan was to head around my Longnor - Acton Burnell - Cound route which would allow options to shorten or extend the ride as wanted.

Heading out I got a gap in the traffic and with the wind being light this bike scooted along very nicely to Condover. This was the first chance to see the repaired road to Ryton and while the patching is good, they haven't done anything about the very worn out surface near to Gonsal Quarry.

I'd seen some diversion signs at Ryton and there were a few more cars than I'd usually see on the way to Longnor so I knew there was a closure somewhere and hoped it wasn't on the road I wanted. Unfortunately it turned out that it was at the crossroads just after Longnor. Drat! I thought about trying to ride it and see if I'd be allowed through but if they are working on the bridge that has been temporarily repaired it might be properly blocked so I decided on a change of scene and headed along the lane that goes round the edge of The Lawley.

I haven't been this way for quite a while and I can't recall having ridden it on the Galaxy so it would be a nice change. There is a reasonable climb with a couple of hairpin bends at the start then you drop into a nice little valley. There are another couple of climbs which both get gradient arrows on the map; the first is a proper low range job but the Galaxy plodded up it with less of an effort than I'd have to put in with the other bikes. The second of these climbs isn't as bad as the map might lead you to believe.

At Chatwall the climb has peaked and there is a longish descent on a narrow lane. At the next junction I decided to climb again and headed for Broome then Church Preen. To start with there are high hedges but further up they are less dominating and you get some nice views. Descending into Church Preen I met another rider who, when I greeted him, looked at me as though he couldn't believe his eyes :scratch:Shortly after there was a spaniel wandering about in the lane who ran ahead of me for a bit as it headed for home.

Next I took the lane to Kenley where I came up behind a tractor & trailer - I didn't realise that the driver had seen me and when it came to a stop was expecting that it was for a vehicle coming the other way rather than being for me to overtake. I carried on past Broomcroft and worked my way down the hill and round to Harnage Grange (met a couple of horses & riders), Harnage and Cound. After a brief moment of indecision I thought I'd head to the A458 and seeing it was a bit busy got off as soon as possible onto the lane for Berrington.

I was really getting on well with the bike towards the end of the ride. Having let another tractor and a couple of cars past on Lyons Lane I found myself catching up with them again into the dip before Allfield. In Condover a meeting of two tractors and a lorry on the double bends caused a bit of a hold up. It looked like it may take a while to sort out so I hopped off the bike and walked past on the pavement.

The run up to the A49 went really well this time with the speed up around 20 most of the way to the junction and a steady 17 up the climb on the main road.^_^ I haven't done that for a while. I assumed I must have had a tailwind for that bit but the Met Office says it should have been a light headwind.

28.5 miles for this one at an average of 13.5 mph, which doesn't really give a true impression of how good the bike felt today.

I didn't like the look of the clouds over the Long Mynd at the start. As it turned out there were rain showers about but they missed me.^_^

Drat. Time for a change of plan. I took the lane on the right.

Blackhurst Farm nestled on the slopes of The Lawley.

Views on the road to Church Preen.

A little further along towards Church Preen - High Fields Farm with the Brown Clee hill as the backdrop.

In Cound.

The white rose of Yorkshire is flag of the day at Cound.

Did almost 8 miles today - with an hour-long break in the middle watching a heron fishing. S/he came so close to me for about half an hour, that I was even breathing shallowly to minimise my movement and didn't dare get out my camera! S/he didn't catch anything and eventually flew off to try his/her luck elsewhere. Looked like how I imagine a pterodactyl would look, taking off.
Depending on how I feel tomorrow, I might do a spin in the park for 2 - 3 miles, no more, instead of alternating my riding days.
I'm getting to like this bike more and more - although I still find it a bit twitchy at times, and haven't quite worked out the best fold; I think I need to make some marks with masking tape for the best fold and then instant correct unfold/set-up.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Tolgus Mount - Illogan - Hells Mouth - Portreath - Mineral trail - Sparnon Gate - Tolgus ... and back for brekkie ... 06.26hrs start ..

This is Marys Well in Illogan, great spring water ,but i suspect the hand of South West Water judging by the access hatch in the concrete.

Hells Mouth Cafe .... the infamous suicide spot does more business in cream teas these days than jumpers I’m happy to say ....
While i stopped there a small black car turned up. A gentleman in his 80’s (?) got out and walked to the rear of the building where 3 lads where sleeping, their van full of surfboards in the carpark .... He gave them hell for sleeping rough on his property without asking and for leaving litter on his property ... As he walked back to the car he was laughing and giggling ... "Gave them a right wake up call there my lad” he called to me on the way out. Proper Cornish he was, riddled with Cornish.

I rode part of the way to Portreath along the coast path which at parts is less than a metre from the 300ft + cliff ... soon got tired of that and retreated to the tarmac.

Portreath .. approached down a very, very steep hill with the brakes clasped on for dear life ... Mineral Trail starts in Portreath so followed it for a few miles before the climb to Sparnon Gate and back to the campsite ... arrived hot and sweaty ( had been all trip ) with my heart rate pounding ... grabbed the remote for my heart recorder buried in my chest and got a good recording for the Cardiac mob at my local hospital ....

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
Headed out after managing to log off from working, at my earlier Tuesday finish time. It had been a warm day, but clouded over during the afternoon and there was the odd mention of showers about on the weather apps…..but it stayed dry and actually cleared up to leave nice sunshine for the second half of the ride, with hardly any wind as well, which was lovely. Took the Carbon, as the roads were better than those lanes I used on Saturday.

I took the cycle paths up to Heathgates, crossing the resurfaced bridge, the roadworks of which have been causing gridlock for the last couple of weeks, then through Sundorne and out onto the old canal path to Uffington. The nettles and weeds by the path are even more overgrown than a few weeks ago, when I last rode it and reported the issue to Shropshire County Council. Will chase it up again!

The roads to Upton Magna were quiet, but the section up East Haughmond was very busy, for some reason, before I enjoyed the long descent down to Somerwood and Rodington Heath. I then bumped my way along the rutted and sandy lane, that leads back towards Upton Magna, before taking the Pelham Road, which had a horrid stench hovering around Berwick Wharf.

The rat run to Atcham was busy and traffic going too fast and close, before I crossed the old A5 and paused on the old bridge, watching quite a few enjoying themselves on the small river bank beach, plus some fishermen waiting for a catch.

Next was the climb up to Cross Houses, Berrington and King St, before the final section through Betton Abbots and home.

22.08 miles at 13.3mph avg.

Two rides in two days! And planning some loops of Burrator tomorrow. Certainly getting the miles in, for me that is.
Today's was an extension of yesterday's, but on the Scott instead. Oh dear. While it is certainly swifter-feeling, etc, etc, it still doesn't want to play as far as the front mech goes. So, after a braze-on triple, Sora or Tiagra or what-have-you...
Extremely busy. Got stuck behind a very deaf old boy who had no idea I was there, so just had to wait until there was room to pass. Not helped by the undergrowth being exceedingly lush at the moment.
Managing the Leg O'Mutton ramp by doing it in two stages, as yesterday. This was slightly easier on the Scott with its 30t inner ring, but as mentioned, the shifting was awful. The rear, just to be clear, was as sweet and clean-shifting as anyone could wish for, which made it all the more frustrating...
Very busy on the trails, so what promised to be a good average faded away quickly, and I gained a whole 0.1mph on yesterday. Yay.
Down that same steep bit before rejoining NCN27 to return, much less scary with good brakes. Must get Salmons for the Revell.
Back up past Clearbrook Leat Car Park, and stop for a rest. Fifty yards off that, chain off, over-pushed the lever and shed it onto the crank. Back on and away. All good until flying down toward Gem Bridge, then chain unships again, this time unprovoked as I was already on the big ring. Grrr. Freewheeled it all the way down and across the bridge and stopped at the seats there to refit. Fiddled with limit screws and tension. All worked okay-ish, but much chain rub. Spoilt the ride a bit, to be honest. But still better to be out than not!
Stats:

Weather much cooler, a few spits of rain on the return leg.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Another of my regular cross border rides in Norfolk, starting out from Diss as normal. This time it was aiming at a specific target destination rather than a general meander around the countryside.

Having headed north through Burston & Gissing, taking in the ruins of St. Mary's in Tivetshall
St. Mary's - Tivetshall (1).JPG

I crossed over the A140 for the main run to the eastern side, taking a seemingly endless seies of lanes & back roads through Pulham Market, Hardwick, Fritton and Hempnall to Saxlingham Nethergate - I don't think there was more than a mile at a time without being warned of a change of direction on the Garmin. I would blame the route planner, but I do like to pick non-direct routes where possible.

Ignoring the "Road closed ahead" signs leaving Saxlingham (it turned out to be a bit of roadside maintenance that I could walk past) and the longest stretch on a single road of around five or six miles to the outskirts of Norwich at Trowse and then my targetted destination for a couple of laps of the outside before heading back.
Carrow Road (2).JPG

Heading out of Norwich, I ignored yet more road closure notices along Hall Road (pavement maintenance this time) and crossed over the A140 at the river Yare crossing for the run back to Diss on the west side of the main road. This was through Swardeston, turning off the 'B' road at Mulbarton and onto the lanes around Flordon, Hapton, Foncett, Aslacton & Tibenham, along The Heywood and back to the car. Plenty of this sort of view for the whole ride
Norfolk Countryside - Pottergate Street.JPG

A little bit cooler than expected with a few wet bits in Saxlingham & Norwich thanks to unexpected showers, but a much needed few hours out with nine straight days of work to come. https://www.strava.com/activities/5731901908
Screenshot 2021-08-03 at 18-54-48 Budgie smuggling Ride Strava.png
Screenshot 2021-08-03 at 18-55-03 Budgie smuggling Ride Strava.png

Attachments

• St. Mary's - Tivetshall (3).JPG
    St. Mary's - Tivetshall (3).JPG
    301.4 KB · Views: 7

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Early morning ride to Calne to get my hair done! Mixture of lanes and bridleways. Fields of golden wheat. Three goldfinches, a yellow hammer, some pied wagtails and a squillion little rabbits! Bliss! Got hair done and then crammed it under a helmet and cycled the same route back!
In Avebury, it’s peak hollyhock season!

Attachments

• 352A9BF8-FDFB-48D1-8351-87BE92DBC97F.jpeg
    352A9BF8-FDFB-48D1-8351-87BE92DBC97F.jpeg
    231.5 KB · Views: 7
Top Bottom