Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
This morning was the Roses to Wrags 212km audax: https://audax.uk/event-details?eventId=9084

It was my first 200km of the year, having had an earlier event cancelled, together with being the longest ride in over 2 years. The weather forecast wasn't great but when I checked this morning I reckoned if I went fast and light I'd make it at least most of the way without getting wet: cue dumping most stuff at 6am before I left, grabbing a lightweight gilet just in case.

The organiser had everything set up in the car park, with riders being OK'd to leave when they wanted with new Covid-style regulations. I stayed until the 8am official start because I'm pedantic like that :whistle: . Also @LeetleGreyCells was riding so I thought I'd say "hello". But I didn't see them there :rolleyes:

Set off with the last few stragglers and did my usual too-fast start, covering the first 80km in under 3 hours. I'd bumped into LeetleGreyCells after 45 minutes at the 24km point who'd had a mechanical: hope you got back OK.

Rosie's cafe at 62km as the first control was basic at best, but decent value at £2.20. I use a "less faff, more pedal" mantra where I can so stopped for 4 minutes to get coffee/cake only. All fine until shortly after 90km my left hamstring began hurting, along with a saddle that I knew probably wasn't the best fit for me beyond about 80km but wanted to confirm this. Cue on/off riding out-of-the-saddle most of the way to get round from there into sometimes strong headwinds and crosswinds. And I've got a sore behind to confirm that it doesn't fit :whistle: .

Taking a slight detour towards Gainsborough to avoid the mad A631 I made the next control shortly beyond 4 hours, at 109km. A quick lunch (£4 spent) plus strong ibruprofen dessert and I'm good to go - 10 minutes stopped.

Info control at 140km and then into Newark for the final control at 162km after 7 hours: struggling now. Morrissons Cafe wasn't being helpful so I used Gannet's Cafe in Newark: always excellent service if pricey at £4.95 for nice coffee/cake. But they offered to fill my bottle. 8 minutes stopped there.

The return leg was basically the outbound Alfreton-Newark leg of the 300km Everybody Rides to Skeggy event. This time the quiet-at-8am A617 wasn't: cue taking your life in your hands :eek: as there's no other route back. It was lumpy from there back to Alfreton and I needed a stop in Southwell at 180km to stretch. Ran out of water so grabbed orange juice at Ravenshead at 200km. After that I rode, or was rather towed, by the only rider I'd ridden with for about 10km (very grateful me).

Now normally I'd hit the afterburners in the last 10km of an event and go flat out to the finish. Today? Not a chance: the afterburners just laughed at me :blush: leaving me going slow in the final few km's to the finish in 9 hours 40 mins. 214km in total for my longest ride in a long time: https://www.strava.com/activities/5754856300

No photos, as I was avoiding getting wet - missed all the showers, but was too warm in the sun and wind as a result. Slower riders got more than a bit soggy. En route I'd passed about 34 of the approximately 40 starters, with only 3 finishing ahead - so there were probably quite a few wet cyclists.

Last edited:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
This morning was the Roses to Wrags 212km audax: https://audax.uk/event-details?eventId=9084

It was my first 200km of the year, having had an earlier event cancelled, together with being the longest ride in over 2 years. The weather forecast wasn't great but when I checked this morning I reckoned if I went fast and light I'd make it at least most of the way without getting wet: cue dumping most stuff at 6am before I left, grabbing a lightweight gilet just in case.

The organiser had everything set up in the car park, with riders being OK'd to leave when they wanted with new Covid-style regulations. I stayed until the 8am official start because I'm pedantic like that :whistle: . Also @LeetleGreyCells was riding so I thought I'd say "hello". But I didn't see them there :rolleyes:

Set off with the last few stragglers and did my usual too-fast start, covering the first 80km in under 3 hours. I'd bumped into LeetleGreyCells after 45 minutes at the 24km point who'd had a mechanical: hope you got back OK.

Rosie's cafe at 62km as the first control was basic at best, but decent value at £2.20. I use a "less faff, more pedal" mantra where I can so stopped for 4 minutes to get coffee/cake only. All fine until shortly after 90km my left hamstring began hurting, along with a saddle that I knew probably wasn't the best fit for me beyond about 80km but wanted to confirm this. Cue on/off riding out-of-the-saddle most of the way to get round from there into sometimes strong headwinds and crosswinds. And I've got a sore behind to confirm that it doesn't fit :whistle: .

Taking a slight detour towards Gainsborough to avoid the mad A631 I made the next control shortly beyond 4 hours, at 109km. A quick lunch (£4 spent) plus strong ibruprofen dessert and I'm good to go - 10 minutes stopped.

Info control at 140km and then into Newark for the final control at 162km after 7 hours: struggling now. Morrissons Cafe wasn't being helpful so I used Gannet's Cafe in Newark: always excellent service if pricey at £4.95 for nice coffee/cake. But they offered to fill my bottle. 8 minutes stopped there.

The return leg was basically the outbound Alfreton-Newark leg of the 300km Everybody Rides to Skeggy event. This time the quiet-at-8am A617 wasn't: cue taking your life in your hands :eek: as there's no other route back. It was lumpy from there back to Alfreton and I needed a stop in Southwell at 180km to stretch. Ran out of water so grabbed orange juice at Ravenshead at 200km. After that I rode, or was rather towed, by the only rider I'd ridden with for about 10km (very grateful me).

Now normally I'd hit the afterburners in the last 10km of an event and go flat out to the finish. Today? Not a chance: the afterburners just laughed at me :blush: leaving me going slow in the final few km's to the finish in 9 hours 40 mins. 214km in total for my longest ride in a long time: https://www.strava.com/activities/5754856300

No photos, as I was avoiding getting wet - missed all the showers, but was too warm in the sun and wind as a result. Slower riders got more than a bit soggy. En route I'd passed about 34 of the approximately 40 starters, with only 3 finishing ahead - so there were probably quite a few wet cyclists.
I asked the organiser when I arrived at the start if you’d already left (as people were starting from 7:30AM onwards) and was told you had. It was great to meet you if only for a couple of minutes and I’m glad you completed and in such good time too. It sounds like your approach to controls is the same as mine, get through as quickly as possible. Hopefully, I’ll see you at the next one, once I’ve fixed the bike…

cwskas

Über Member

It was my first 200km of the year . . .

Now normally I'd hit the afterburners in the last 10km of an event and go flat out to the finish. Today? Not a chance: the afterburners just laughed at me :blush: leaving me going slow in the final few km's to the finish in 9 hours 40 mins. 214km in total for my longest ride in a long time:
I am impressed, well done DCLane & LeetleGreyCells!

footloose crow

Über Member
Lost in France

"Je suis perdu aussi", which I hope means 'I am also lost'. The guy isn't having it. He is in his 70s and speaking to me in rapid fire French. He gets louder when I can't understand. He has seen me standing by the side of the road with a map and is asking me where the motorway is. I have no idea. He points out I have a map in my hand. It isn't helping either of us. The scale is pretty small and the network of minor lanes here on the Causse, a high limestone plateau between the valleys of the Dordogne and the Lot, is not marked on the map. There is just a lot of white space.

Screenshot 2021-08-08 at 12.52.13.png

The same white space appears on the Wahoo. I just have a blank screen and a winking cursor. Even when I zoom out all I get is a few faint lines that do not correspond to anything I can see on the map.

The French guy gives up with me. Wishes me luck with my 'grand voyage' and heads off to find someone more helpful. This is the area where the French resistance operated in WW2 and I can see why the Germans struggled to find them. The view is of a rolling plateau, long abandoned fields now being reclaimed by oak and box woodland with small limestone crags and deep dry gorges. There are no signposts on the roads, just wooden signs pointing to isolated limestone farmhouses. The farms are not being worked. No crops, no animals. Just a retreat from agriculture and the comeback of nature. This is what the Cotswolds would look like after a 100% pandemic - empty, reclaimed by plants and wildlife, dead quiet. Once the car has gone it is completely silent. No wind, no sounds of birds, no sign of human life.

I decide to just take any lane that heads north west and see what turns up. There are thunderheads all around me and the road is wet, steaming as it dries. It has rained most days for the last fortnight but the limestone soaks it up pretty quickly. I have had some brief showers today but so far avoided the cloudbursts.

I left our static caravan an hour ago. It sits on top of a 300m high ridge which means a fast downhill to begin with and then a long uphill to the village of Payrac, a cluster of mellow limestone houses and some shops along the main road. The village is empty and I cross the main road without seeing a single car or resident. This is such an empty country.

Downhill again and then another 6-7% switchback road up onto the Causse. All the roads seem to be 6-7%. It is a good gradient for me and I can spin, if not happily at least competently up them, with just mild breathlessness and calf ache.

Half the roads here are in a terrible state; I ponder whether to describe them as a gravel road with some tarmac or a tarmac road with some gravel. The winters here are quite harsh and destroy the roads with frost and heavy rain. It certainly isn't traffic wearing them out. I have seen one car so far today.

The other half of the roads are freshly laid with chippings, 'gravillons' in French. If laying chipping was an Olympic sport, the French would win gold medals at every event. The speed with which they do it over miles of empty lanes that see virtually no traffic is astonishing, especially or perhaps because, in five winters time all that will be left is a patchwork of tarmac and potholed gravel. The loose chippings make for cautious descending as I leave the Causse behind and head north into the Dordogne valley, meeting both the river and vehicle traffic and more importantly, signposts. The Wahoo is showing roads again. I am no longer 'perdu'.

Along a French version of Cheddar Gorge now. If Cheddar Gorge was level rather than uphill. And one half of the gorge was taken away and a very wide river replaced it. So not like Cheddar at all really. Just a road sandwiched between vertical limestone on one hand and the wide, silent flow of the mighty Dordogne on the other. Out of the gorge and into Souillac, a major town and busy with weekend traffic. The Wahoo guides me competently through the town along back roads and alleys, sections of cycle path, a campsite and then out onto the Dordogne valley cycle path, an old railway line now largely tarmac and pretty flat. I can see from the huge puddles and dull glint of water across the fields that I have dodged a major rainstorm. I saw it coming across when I was high on the Causse, a solid line of water between cloud and sky, inky black and cold. The sun has returned now for a while.

The next kilometres pass quickly. Through walnut plantations, past tall crops of corn and maize, apple orchards, anything that can survive the winter floods that fill this valley floor for up to three kilometres width. Finally arriving at Grolejac, crossing the Dordogne onto 'my side' via the cycle path bridge and then the final hill back to the caravan. It starts to rain now, big drops but spaced out. I can see the cloud to my right and hope it will miss me. It is too warm and the hill too relentless to think about a waterproof jacket. I have 250m of uphill over the next six kilometres, steady but definitely relentless.

The rain largely holds off and it is sweat as much as the rain that has left me dripping on the deck outside the caravan. The bike is coated in mud from the cycle path along the Dordogne and the frequent puddles on the roads and I have a dirty line on my back. I didn't think I would need mudguards in southern France in August. The forecast is more rain tomorrow and then it will get very hot. Probably too hot to ride. I walk into the caravan wondering how I will persuade my wife that we need another long ride tomorrow before it gets too warm.....

Screenshot 2021-08-08 at 12.52.44.png

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Got up this morning to heavy rain, around mid day it stopped then as I eat my lunch the sun came out. decided to go for a ride, upstairs got changed, got the bike opened the door to this.
View attachment 603224

Perfect riding weather that :whistle:

At least you'd be riding in it. Me? I was standing in that watching son no. 2 whilst he raced :laugh: . Or at least I was, that was until he punctured - £70 on a new tub required :ohmy:

Last edited:

C R

Guru
Got up this morning to heavy rain, around mid day it stopped then as I eat my lunch the sun came out. decided to go for a ride, upstairs got changed, got the bike opened the door to this.
View attachment 603223
View attachment 603224
That was the weather on my last two weekends riding, with me not being dressed for it. Today dressed for a wet ride, and not a drop of rain.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Only two of us braved the windy conditions this morning, so Paul and I made a spur of the moment decision to save the club ride to the Forest of Dean for another week and ride down to Sharpness instead. Out via Frampton, the Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust at Slimbridge and Berkeley, then back via Purton, Cambridge (no, not that Cambridge) and Saul. A nice steady 49 miler with only the gentlest of hills. I had misjudged the weather/believed the BBC forecast of a "48% chance of rain", so I was wearing my uncomfortable waterproof overshoes. So it didn't rain at all. Not a drop. Nice to get out again after a week of decorating and heavy rain. The curiosity on this ride was the site of a millionaire's superyacht, complete with mini helicopter on board, parked up in the ships' graveyard in Sharpness docks alongside a rusting old passenger ferry and a redundant lightship.

Old jon

Guru
A bright morning, some breeze and the roads looked dry. Not that I really looked at roads, more the back garden path. So me and the Spa went out to play.

Across the Aire at Crown Point, there are only three ways I leave Leeds, mostly dependent on where I am intending to ride. Today going north or thereabouts, a bit of thought of how to reach Slaid Hill and decided to ride through Chapeltown, Chapel Allerton and Moortown. Then the good bits begin. Wike Ridge Lane to East Keswick is easy to enjoy. Some of the A659, going east, to Collingham and turn left for Linton. Another left, in the village, onto Northgate Lane. At the end of that, yet another left to head to Sicklinghall. Stop for a snack at the top of the village, it is then mostly downhill to Netherby.

That end of the Wharfe valley was looking good this morning. Gaps in the hedges and the occasional gateway provided some peaceful views, and the almost total lack of motor traffic made it easy to enjoy them. Another village on a hill, Kirkby Overblow, downhill in this direction almost all the way to the Harrogate road. Left again to go back across the Wharfe at Harewood. Had to cross that river earlier to reach Linton. And next, a right turn. Onto the A659 again but travelling west this time, just as far as the back gate into the deer park at Harewood House.

Stay on the surfaced bridleway, a bit steep here and there on the way to the Muddy Boots cafe and Church Lane to return to the A61 and a right turn. A mile and a bit on this road until Forge Lane is reached and I ride back to Wike. And Slaid Hill. Rather than repeat my outward journey I rode straight down Roundhay Park Lane, which is a bit of a ‘Wheeeeee!!’ as far as the Ring Road. The big park gates then, on the way to the clock at Oakwood. Wetherby Road is still closed by there, but no matter, I am going the other way.

Into Leeds’ almost centre, back to Crown Point and a wiggle through Hunslet to reach home rather sooner than I had expected. Smiling anyway, thirty five miles helps that along. Not quite twenty three hundred feet of climbing, gorgeous weather and some very nice roads made the smile wider.

Might have to learn how to plait a route . . .

09082021.jpg

0908elev.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Been offline for a bit so this one is from last Tuesday:
I didn't have a long window of opportunity so it was a variation of a regular route and I used the knockabout bike for convenience.

I headed out to Condover as usual, finding the A49 very busy but quieter once I'd turned off it heading for Ryton and Longnor. The works that had caused me to change route on monday appeared to have gone (or at least the signs all had) but I was turning away from it so couldn't investigate what had been done.

I headed along the Roman road and this time carried on further to Hollyhurst and a second crossing of the A49 for Dudgeley. The main road was even busier here and I had a bit of a wait for a gap to cross. From Dudgeley the undulating part of the ride starts along quiet lanes and past some nice properties. Climbing up to Smethcott a tractor towing another tractor on a trailer came down the hill, fortunately I was just opposite a gateway and could nip across the road to make room. Just after Wilderley I had a similar issue with a tractor and large trailer and once again we were fortunate to meet just beside a field entrance.

Reaching Pulverbatch I decided to stick to the main road and head through Longden Common then Longden. This stretch of road is mostly downhill and the wind was helping so some good speeds were attained on the way. Turning right before Annscroft to head through Exford's Green the south-westerly wind was still in my favour. Shortly after a Range Rover had overtaken me, another tractor and trailer were encountered just where the road narrows again. No luck with gates this time so the Rover had to back up. The tractor has stopped so suddenly that the load in the trailer sloshed and left a muddy mess right across the road making me glad I run 'guards year round.:okay:

There was an unusual amount of traffic on this lane and I convinced myself that something must have happened on the A49, but there was no sign of any problem when I got there. As the traffic here seemed to have quietened down I thought I'd go through Condover a second time and head the flatter way home.

27 miles for this one at 13.3 mph average which on this route, using this bike, is surprisingly quick.

Usual view view to the hills from Ryton. The maize is coming along well.

Caer Caradoc from a gateway shortly after Hollyhurst.

Looking down the Picklescott road in the direction of Dorrington. I've climbed up a reasonable height during the trip.

Yes, another view of the Stretton hills from Hunger Hill this time.

Brandane

Legendary Member
First cycle round Arran for 2 years.

Caught the 0945 ferry from Ardrossan to Brodick, and was on the road for 11.00.
The first of many climbs starts as soon as you leave the ferry terminal and turn left.

Good cycling weather, about 15C, a light westerly breeze, and forecast to be an odd light shower or two but only if you're unlucky.... Well my "luck" with weather and outdoor activities is legendary! About 4 miles in, at Lamlash, I got caught in a torrential shower that lasted about half an hour. I found a shelter, but by then the damage was done. However, that apart, I managed to dodge the showers for the rest of the ride and dried out.

Some pics of the ride:

Arran, like everywhere else, is very busy this summer. Traffic levels around the island are way higher than I remember on any previous visits. My usual lunch stop, at the golf club in Blackwaterfoot, had a queue waiting for tables, so I went to the only "carry out" to find an even longer queue. So another 4 miles to the Machrie tearoom, which is open but only for take away. Fortunately the sun was out at that point, so it was a take away soup and toasted sandwich (£10.20 :ohmy:) and back to the ride.

At Lochranza it was decision time, to crack on and try to catch the 4.40 ferry, or take it easy and get the 6.00. Obvious choice there, so rolled into Brodick after 5.00. Turns out the 6pm ferry was the last of the day, as the later run was cancelled due to the main ferry having problems with crew testing positive for covid!

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Did my first 100 miler of the year today. Nice easy route to Skegness, taking advantage of the wind and the flat terrain.

set off at 06:30ish, with the plan to get to Corby Glen for the first cafe stop at 38 miles.
Got there before the cafe was open so rather than wait I carried on.

second planned stop was a McDonalds in Boston, at 68 miles. Stopped there for a coffee and a breakfast thingy. After 68 miles it was beautiful.

Get to around 75 miles and it started to rain, couple of miles later it is proper rain. Five minutes of that and it stops and I quickly dry out.

Get on the outskirts if Skegness and the traffic is gridlocked. Filter by it all and get to the train station and I’m on 99.8 miles.Spin round go to the clock tower and back. Nip into Iceland for a drink. Only cold drinks they have is milk. Grab a pint and some warm Lucozade and get to the station on 100.8 miles, job done.

took me just over 5 1/2 hours, will be one of my quickest 100 mile rides, if not the quickest, not bad for a fatty.:becool:

now on the train for a three hour journey back to Leicester

Top Bottom