Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Day two of the Dales! We try again! Started and ended at the wonderful Dales Bike Centre!

There used to be a nice bridleway/track route along the river from Grinton (or Reeth) to Gunnerside, about 7 miles (with a short tarmac interlude!) then back via a couple of different ways, partially or entirely tarmac - including the beautifully-named Crackpot. It's also an easy ride to shorten as there are a couple of points you can 'loop' back from. Of course I don't know what it's like now.

gavgav

Guru
I’d arranged to meet @Rickshaw Phil and Doug, for a ride after finishing working from home. About 4pm it started to rain outside, but a check of the radar 3/4 of an hour later and it suggested only a possible light shower, so we went for it……..

We set off through the nearby estate, then via roads very busy with rush hour traffic, on through Betton Abbots, to King St, encountering the 1 pillock of the ride. Chap storms past me, as I was slightly ahead of Doug and Phil, then turns immediately left across my path and down a lane. After catching me up, Phil informed me that the driver was swigging from a bottle of cider whilst he was driving!! Utter moron.

Thankfully after that, the driving was much better, but the wind was anything but, as we battled it along Lyons Lane, to Condover, where it must have been gusting over 30 mph. From there we climbed up towards Ryton, overtaking a couple on Mountain bikes as we did. We paused in a lay-by for a photo (below) and the chap caught us up, pausing for a chat. Very friendly guy, who was talking Brooks saddles and his battle to get used to one. As we chatted, his wife caught us up and cycled on past, so he decided he’d better go and catch her up!

We looped through Ryton village, then through Gonsal, where it started to spit with rain. By the time we’d passed through Stapleton, the rain became heavier and necessitated a pause to don waterproof jackets. Was a bit too warm for them really, but we were getting drenched. At Annscroft, we were delighted to see the Union Jack flag blowing in the direction we were heading, which meant a super tailwind to Hook a Gate and Meole Village, which even made the rain not feel too bad, despite it now properly pouring down.

We parted ways in Meole and I arrived home with 15.28 miles on the clock, at 12.2mph avg. That headwind really did drag the speed down for the first half of the ride.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
There used to be a nice bridleway/track route along the river from Grinton (or Reeth) to Gunnerside, about 7 miles (with a short tarmac interlude!) then back via a couple of different ways, partially or entirely tarmac - including the beautifully-named Crackpot. It's also an easy ride to shorten as there are a couple of points you can 'loop' back from. Of course I don't know what it's like now.
I think they call it the Swale Trail now! We discussed it but decided to try something gnarlier so we could eat more cake afterwards! It looks perfect for younger children though!

AndreaJ

Veteran
It was a bit grey and breezy this morning and I have actually cleaned my bike, a ride in the rain on Sunday meant it was really muddy. I also wanted to call in at the LBS in Ellesmere as it has developed an annoying clicking noise when you pedal, the nice man in the bike shop prefers clean bikes.
Took the longer route to Ellesmere forgetting that the road was closed at the end of our lane, decided to see if I could get through, I did find a couple of workmen fixing potholes but managed to get past and carry on to Northwood, Bettisfield, Breadon Heath, Welshampton and down to Ellesmere. There was a queue at the bike shop and the 2 people in front of me both bought bikes. He looked at mine and sorted what parts it needs but isn’t very optimistic about getting them anytime soon ☹️. Set back off after checking nothing was going to fall to prices leaving me to walk home, took the bumpy road through Tetchill to Hordley, Bagley and Weston Lullingfields then turned to Marton. Caught up with a teenage boy riding one bike while wheeling another one next to him which almost got a bit messy when he got to the junction. Turned off to Burlton, English Frankton, Pikes End into Lyneal then back to Loppington, Wolverley and home. 32.5 miles. No pictures today because I was running out of time.

I think they call it the Swale Trail now!

Oh dear, it probably has picnic tables along it now and a compacted gravel surface with information boards and signposts telling you how far you are from the nearest cafe and toilets. It used to have quite a few bits that you had to splosh through except in the height of a dry summer, and walkers would complain about them - but it was fine for horses and great fun for mountain bikes, and as walkers have exclusive use of almost 80% of the PROW network in England and Wales, I could never see what the problem was, except that (some) walkers seem to want exclusive access to every PROW ...

oh man, had an epic ride in epic heat, on the mountain bike yesterday. I think I need to sleep for 2 days to recover. glad Wifey is driving today, for our overnight getaway. it was fun trying to get lost while simultaneously keeping track of where I was. eventually got under water in a swimming hole. that really brought me back to life

be careful out there people

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
So having done my first 100 miler of the year on Tuesday, I did my second one today.

The BB has been making a right ducking noise on the Roubaix and I had some awkward veloviewer squares marked for bagging, so decided not to risk it today and went out on the Allez instead.

Left the house around 06:10 and repeated the first 11 miles or so of Tuesdays ride to Rearsby, from there it was familiar roads to Saxelbye and a slow slog up the hill and onto the top of the ridge and onto Eastwell. I don't know what the drivers had for their breakfast but the amount of close passes I had on the six miles from Wartnaby to Eastwell was bloody ridiculous.

Heading towards Belvoir Castle, I'm mentally preparing myself for the horrendous climb just after it. Thankfully my route didn't take me that way (I'm known for not really looking at routes when I plan them ^_^) and I had the fantastic descent into Knipton quickly followed by a nasty little climb into Harston. Sods law as I'm dragging my lardy rear up it a car comes up behind me. He had to wait, if I'd stopped I wouldn't have got going again.

Eventually come out onto the A607 and a very fast few miles into Grantham and onto the last climb of the day into Londonthorpe.

Into Welby for the first square grab of the day, up one of the nicest field bridleways I've ever ridden on. The grass between the tractor tracks must have been a good three foot wide and smooths as a bowling green, which was a good job as I did just over a mile on it. Into Sleaford for a few more squares, riding down dead end roads on the housing estate and into Holdingham for the cafe stop - well i say cafe stop, it was McDonalds again :laugh:

Then onto a fantastic little cycle path that cut out the A15 and A17 roundabout at Holdingham to get me back onto country lanes again. Into Ruskington for another awkward square - only awkward as it was easier to bag from the North and I was approaching from the South so had to ride along its boundary on two sides before getting into it on the third.

Then I had to go on the A153 for 5 miles so I could jump onto a farm track for another square :wacko: It was horrid, the drivers were just imbeciles, numerous close passes again and one only just missed a head on crash, why can't they just wait a few seconds, it isn't like I was dawdling along?

Then I had a few miles of go east to grab a square (nice, wind behind me) go west to grab a square (not nice, horrible headwind) until I got onto the Water Rail Way route, pretty much in the middle of the Tattershall Bridge and Kirkshead Bridge section.

Stopped at the garage at Kirkshead Bridge for more water, coke and chocolate, back onto the Water Rail Way and stopped at the first free bench for the can.

Last 15 miles were then into the wind, but apart from the couple of miles between Southrey and Bardney, it is traffic free so wasn't too bad, though as usual the last 6 miles were right into the wind.

The bridge over the river which I think is for the new Lincoln bypass has finally opened (might have been open a while to be fair as this is my first ride to Lincoln this year) and all the building works have gone, so the cycle path is once again builder free.

Pulled into Lincoln station on just over 101 miles, did it in just under 6 hours, which considering the square grabbing I was more than happy with.

Grabbed my ticket and went onto the platform to find Costa was shut :cry:so had to wait until I got home for a brew.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5780230461

theloafer

Legendary Member
Wednesday`s ride... first ride in 2 weeks ... @bikingdad90 was in need of a Garmin mount i had a spare rather than post seemed easier to drop it of as he was just 18 miles away (as you do).... from his i headed over to the rusty bike café at Swainby were i had a slight problem ,it was closed. so up the hill to Cod beck and dropped into Osmotherly .out on the A684 for about 4 miles then a right on to traffic free lanes to Deighton- Appleton Wiske-Hornby ,over the B1264 and headed to Neasham then on to Darlington via the football stadium up neasham road picked up cycle paths all the way back home . 63 miles.... not a pics type of day lol
Morning Ride | Ride | Strava

today ... had the urge for a bacon sarnie this morning so off to barny we go ^_^.. my usual route out cycle path to Shildon then the track under the A6072 to brusselton lane up the bank to royal oak then drop down to Bolam then lovely almost traffic free lanes -Hilton-Langton-Little Newsham to pick up the A67 into Barnard castle .
the Teesdale cafe was packed :ohmy: so change of plan and headed out past the Bowes museum on Westwick road then a left down to Abbey bridge where i spotted a mobile tea stall, slammed on brakes :laugh::laugh: ordered a sausage sarnie + coffee. and it gets a 10/10 from me for taste and value ... then it was of to Eppleby via a short section of the A66 :ohmy::ohmy:
on reaching the A66 the inside lane was closed off with cones all the way down to the turn off point , great i thought will have it all to myself ^_^ but it was not to be.. two guys in a van were adamant :stop: i had to cross over :cursing: it was not a hardship but crossing over i knew i had to drag a big heavy bike up 23 steps . just pleased i am a fit oldstick :whistle:... once up the steps it was down up over the bridge and at the next junction re-crossed the A66 into the coned off section for 400yds quick dash :laugh: and on to Thorpe-Cadwell- Eppleby .were a coffee+scone was needed ,then home bound via Piercebridge-Walworth -Heighington-aycliffe . a nice steady 44 miles after yesterdays 63 ..
sausage sarnie run | Ride | Strava

and the bloody steps

Glow worm

Legendary Member
17 sunny miles here today in north Norfolk.

Approaching the Holkham Estate, through the Tuimphal Arch.

Holkham Hall from the south.The area around the hall was busy, but ride a few hundred yards and it feels like you have the place to yourself.

Stopped to say hello to an old pal on his Bench overlooking the hall. Lovely sculpture of Edward Coke, previous Lord of the estate.

This is his view - normally without the bike I guess. Though much better with bike of course.

Great to be able to escape the drivers for a bit.

calm before the storm. The entrance to Wells. The place was heaving. Soon escaped and headed back along deserted farm tracks.

Riding home to the Newmarket area (Swaffhams) tomorrow, with the help of the train between Kings Lynn and Ely to give the old legs a bit of a rest ^_^.

Landsurfer

Veteran
0700hrs kick off, Braithwaite, Sykehouses, Pollington, Snaith ... the WEST BANK ...!
31 miles of fun riding, lots of wildlife about early doors ... Herons, squirrels, rabbits, deer .....
Stopped at Snaith Co-Op on the return ride for a £3.50 meal deal for brekkie, to add to the 3 bananas already digested.
Had my breakfast in a bus shelter west of Snaith .... joy !

Started at Braithwaite car park by the canal, theres a canal path, rough tarmac, not my favourite surface so off onto the road asap.

In Sykhouses someone has a gun, big gun, very big gun ... in the front garden .... well why not ....

My bike in front of a church ...

Snaith Bridge with Drax in the background.

One minute your riding about in North Yorkshire ... the next your in Palestine ... well on the West Bank.

Old jon

Guru
Bright again this morning, a few clouds bouncing around and a bit of breeze. A club ride was planned, and I was intending to join this, so lets ride the Bob Jackson up to Slaid Hill to meet most of the rest.

And off we all (nearly all) went. Wike Ridge Lane to Tarn Lane to the A58 and turn left, to ride all the way to Wetherby on this road, picking up another rider on the way. Ride around the eastern side of the town, on the A168 and at the Sandbeck Lane roundabout take the half overgrown bike path that parallels the A 168 almost all the way to Walsford. It wiggles about a bit, but stay on this road until the right turn onto Whixley Lane, oddly enough, ride along this to Whixley, crossing a railway line along the way.

Cannot ride near here without visiting the Tancred Farm shop, the cafe is pretty good too. It must be, two other riders arrived to join us. On we went, after refuelling. Thorpe Underwood, Little and Great Ouseburn and Upper and Lower Dunsforth were passed on the way to Aldborough. Sounds like we rode a long way, but there are lots little places close to each other. Boroughbridge is a bit bigger, and on the road out from there to Roecliffe we stopped to have a look at the ‘Devil’s Arrows’, three tall stone monoliths.

On we went, through Roecliffe, then out on a road I knew went to Bishop Monkton. But we turned off, onto a lane I do not think I have ever ridden before. Which goes to Copgrove, known territory again for me. Along Copgrove Lane, across Farnham Lane onto Sandy Bank, a bit more Farnham Lane to reach the Boroughbridge Road. Travel along that to Knaresborough and a second refreshment stop. We needed it, the sun had come out!

A different return route from Knaresborough, through Calcutt and Rudding Park to the A658, where our three late joiners turned off to make their way. We rode along to Follifoot Lane, this took us to Kirkby Overblow. It must be difficult, naming roads, do you think? A few easy miles now, to the A61 and south along that to Harewood. After crossing the Wharfe, ah, I forgot to include them earlier. The rivers today.

The Aire, Crown Point. The Wharfe, Wetherby. The Nidd, at Walsford. Close to the Ure at Lower Dunsforth, closer still at Boroughbridge, but not across it. Back over the Nidd in Knaresborough, and I have caught up. Next time, I will cross the Ure, to make it a four river ride.

Up through Harewood deer park and back to the A61 for a bit. Turn left to go to Wike and turn right there to return to Slaid Hill. We went our several ways, I chose to pass the big park gates on the way to Oakwood and it’s Clock. Back through rush hour town and home with a big grin, almost enormous. Sixty six miles. Three thousand three hundred feet. Black lacquered, I am, but happy with that!

And garthing, it drew these

13082021.jpg

1308elev.jpg

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
50 miler this morning, headed south into the wind to Ashby Magna before going westerly towards Sapcote.

Skirted around Hinckley and into Market Bosworth territory, going over the canal at Sutton Wharf where the cafe which is normally rammed was very quite, mind you I did go by 30 minutes before it opens.

EFA059DF-9161-4143-BDBF-9ABA7D50628C.jpeg

Hit temporary traffic lights at Newbold Verdon and Desford and rather than turn east and head home I carried on through Ratby and Anstey. (Strange village with strange residents, never stop here :whistle:)

Up to Thurcaston and then turn south to head home. Skipped the McDonalds stop and headed into and through Abbey Park. Stopped at Rally park to take a photo of the rocket. Loros have put I think 40 of them up around the city and I go by this one on the days I'm in the office for work. I've "found" 11 or 12 so far just on my rides.

F980509C-8F98-4BC1-8016-4A91332F52A4.jpeg

Not many people out on bikes today, weather was cloudy and windy, but when you got out of the wind it was pleasantly warm.

A couple of other random photos, which are rubbish:

779EC742-4C36-4E36-B4CA-BF8D30F1702B.jpeg

A201F010-5095-4A70-876F-450F9B51A649.jpeg

https://www.strava.com/activities/5789922876

Last edited:
Top Bottom