Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Heavy cloud, breezy and not really a great cycling day. Nevertheless decided on a shortish ride to Beacon Fell near Garstang. Encountered lots of cyclists coming toward me heading to watch a national Grand Prix event at Lancaster. Managed to get to the edge of heather moorland, motivated by @Cathryn pictures showing it in flower. Was going to stop for lunch at the Barn in Scorton, unfortunately they have changed the hut to an ice cream parlour and the queue for the main restaurant was intimidating. 41 miles with 850m of climbing.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Th
A fabulous area for cycling, some bits are quite challenging so well done!
I’ve been to the Dales bike centre lots of times, their homemade cakes are lovely.
Where abouts did you stay?
the YHA at hawes! It was excellent

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Another great club ride today. Instead of a coffee stop, we arranged to call in on Jim and Lisa, a couple of former clubmates, in Frocester on the way home for a garden party. Out to Berkeley like last week, then up onto the Cotswold Edge near North Nibley, down and then back up again at Stinchcombe, then finally down again through Cam to Frocester. A massive selection of savouries and cakes, with tea and beers probably left me putting on weight on this ride. A great social ride, though. 45.1 miles, bringing up my 2,000 for the year. Still on target for yet another 3,000 mile year.

Gunk

Guru
We haven’t been out on the mountain bikes for probably 6 months, so my 16 year son and I ventured out and did the Phoenix trail which runs between Thame and Princes Risborough. It’s about a 13 mile round trip and a mixture of tarmac and gravel, so a nice, easy and relaxed ride.

Put the old 26ers on the roof of Mrs Gunks Mini (they just fit)

FF50B2BC-5033-4FC9-96C4-187F51BA2184.jpeg

It was a nice afternoon, My son has just finished his GCSE’s so a chance to spend some time together, sit and chat. You also forget what fun these bikes are to ride. Mine usually goes wrong but today it was perfect!

E3B4D84E-A2FC-4E93-AE50-905A82B38A62.jpeg

2DC1DB81-A0BF-4B69-97ED-AB07895CE385.jpeg

5D5590B4-F8D2-4A03-813F-B2A549816090.jpeg

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Having had four days off work, I'm back tomorrow so decided I had to go out for another decent ride today.

Decide to do a loop as opposed to riding in one direction and getting the train back. Up at 05:30, cup of tea and a couple of slices of toast and I'm on my way not long after six.

Out through Braunstone and to Market Bosworth via Peckleton and Kirby Mallory, just coming out of Market Bosworth to head along the road towards Carlton and there are the road closed signs up. Decide to risk it, being a Sunday there won't be anyone working and I'm bound to get my bike through, down the fast descent and the road closure is at the bottom before you start to climb. More than enough room to get through, but there was a great big hole in the road, and the road that remained was very muddy, so had to lose all the speed I'd got on the downhill.

Then it is very much either up hill or down hill all the way to Measham, stop at Botany Bay for a quick picture, not sure what all the excitement is about, apart from a bit of grass and the odd tree, there wasn't much else to see. That Captain Cook fella must have been a right exaggerator.

1629055989603.png

I hit Barton Under Needwood and came across some fresh tarmac, four miles of brilliant surface, shame it was into the wind and mainly uphill.

Went through Yoxall and onto the proper back roads, came across a woman stood in the middle of the road doing stretches. I called out to let her know I was there and she went "Ooh, this is embarrassing", if she'd have taken a second to look at me, she wouldn't have been, I ain't the best advert for lycra. Anyway, I told her not worry about it :laugh:

Into Burton for my McDonalds breakfast. Took it outside and the clouds are getting really dark, Not a lot I can do, I'm miles away from home, so if it rains, I'll be getting wet.

Finish my food and back on the bike and now I should have a couple of hours of tailwind and flatness. A couple of miles later it brightened up, no rain today ^_^ Go through Willington and I'm going at a good pace, when three other rides come by me so fast I might as well have not been moving. Look at how fast I'm going, nah I'm not going to try and chase them.

Follow the Trent up to near the M1 A50 junction, jump onto Warren Lane to avoid it and take the back roads into Kegworth. I think they've put a new shooting ground on Warren Lane, you rarely see cars on it and today there were loads.

Ride through Kingston on Soar and Gotham (yes, there is a Batman connection) and into East Leake. Stop at the co-op for a coffee and then onto the home leg. I'm expecting this to be into the wind. Last climb of the day sees me crawl out of East Leake and down to Stanford on Soar and the wind is straight at me, so even the descent wasn't fast, the terrible road surface didn't help.

Go through Cossington, and onto Fosse Way, which turns into Melton Road and eventually ends up in Leicester city centre, 5 miles straight into the wind, I ended up going on the cycle path for a bit of it as I was that slow.

Through town and I think I'm going to be a couple of tenths short of my target distance, so a couple of wrong turns later I've done enough and arrive home on 100.36 miles.

I think I rode through Leicestershire, Staffordshire, Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire today.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5796412785

13 rider

Guru
So my big sister had arranged a family picnic at Rutland water today and thanks to my nephew volunteering to drive I was free to ride there . It's 32 miles from home but I plotted a route of 42 miles to allow me to grab a stray velo viewer tile I also plotted an extension for the route if I was early . Up earlier than planned and out the door at 8.30 . Leaving the wonderful village of Anstey into Cropston ,Cossington ,Gaddesby and Twyford and onto the biggest climb of the day Burrough hill a long steady climb cruised up it thinking I'm going great today or it could be a massive tailwind :okay:. Anyway recorded my 2nd best time up it . Through Somerby and into Rutland and the terrain from here is rolling to say the least .Through the lovely villages of Knossington and Braunston . Just dropping down before the steep climb into Riddlington and I see a couple just hitting the climb and me being me thinks I'll catch them . The lady seem to drop off the man but just as I was closing in she accelerated caught the man and proceed to drop us both . I caught the gent and made him jump when I spoke to him ( couldn't believe he had not heard my heavy breathing as I chased him). The lady was waiting patiently at the top on her E bike no wonder she dropped us . A quick chat while me and the gent got our breath back . Then the madness of velo viewer kicked in as I rode down a deadend road onto a gravel bridle path ,got some strange looks from some mountain bikers, don't think they expected anyone on a road bike to be there . Rode just enough into the tile to then retrace my route back out of the village :wacko: . Got to the village of Edith Weston and I'm early so took my extended route and grabbed some bonus veloviewer tiles by riding to the A47 then retraced my route back told you it's madness . Through Ketton and Empingham and rolled in to picnic area at Whitwell to find the gazebo up and kettle on excellent timing .After 3 hour of catching up with my relatives from Peterborough who I hadn't seen for 3 years it time to head home direct this time so only 32 miles . My legs felt terrible from the off playing football for an hour and do that . Took the quiet route to Exton where I got flagged down by an elderly couple ( older than me ) who were lost . They looked surprised when they asked are you local and I replied no I live 30 miles away .Thankfully I did know where they wanted to get to and pointed it out on their paper map and they were soon on there way . My suspicions of a tailwind this morning was confirmed by the headwind which I would have all the way home making it a steady/slow ride mainly climbing up to Somerby which is normally rewarded by a super fast descent of Burrough hill ,today I had to pedal down to reach 25 mph . Felt every slight uphill from here but ground my way home . The sight of the wonderful village of Anstey was a welcome relief . Total for the day 83 miles (51 there 32 back ) with nearly 4000ft of climbing with only 1 big climb I did say it's rolling terrain . Lovely day out just caught 3 minutes of rain 4 miles from home when I thought I might get soaked but thankfully it blew over

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Sunday and, with the below top bar bag refixed with an additional strap around it and the rain jacket in back pocket, another half past midday departure. Up Humps and a Hill in a new PR and east to Knaresborough encountering unexpected TTLs in Bilton and on my northerly route around Knaresborough. Thence to Wetherby on the B6164 and towards Walton to pick up the NCN over the Wharf; a sign advised of the first section being closed later in the month hopefully for the surface to be fixed of tree roots. A brief pause, there was some moisture in the air but it quickly stopped, then the staggered crossing of the A659 followed onto the Roman Road of Rudgate which contrary to popular belief is definitely not straight. A further brief encounter with another road numbered A659 and then over a very busy A64 to pass through Stutton to reach the A162 and another set of TTLs at the entrance to the 6th letter ABC of Sherburn in Elmet, no signboard existed so the Co-Op substituted.

More TTLs at the junction with B1222 where I turned west and then north west to Lotherton. South east on the B1217 followed pausing by the entrance to Hook Moor wind farm although only one of the five wind turbines was visible. Under the M1 A1(M) intersection to reach a junction with the M1 – I followed the cycle path around the roundabout and then on the A642 to Garforth. The first wrong turning of the day took place as I missed the turning for the westbound NCN66; initially a road then a twisty compressed gravel track, steep sections having wire mesh reinforcement, to a bridge over the M1. Beyond it was straighter albeit with a couple of right angle turns and emerged at junction 46 of the M1 crossing the access road to a retail park. The NCN continued on the paved footways alongside a road leading into a business park. The next wrong turning followed as the way out was not clear but I deuced where it was; another compressed gravel track leading onto residential streets and then a TL crossing of the A63 to use a shared footway on the far side. Left the NCN at a roundabout and headed west on the B6159 initially missing my right turn off it. A zig zag route to a blocked by bollards road on a local cycle route lead me to Primrose Valley – part of a group of open spaces running northwards through east Leeds and soon joined by NCN677. Back on residential streets to a TL controlled crossing of the A64 and beyond the access to another retail park. Another wrong turn and once corrected through Killingbeck Fields, the route then split two ways – I went right, the Wahoo squealed, I went left and a shared footway alongside a road brought me to Fearnville Fields.

Thereafter the route crossed a stream and passed along a back street. Back in open space it was diverted around some earthworks. I mistakenly left the route thereafter, the sign said it was Arthurs Rein and rejoined it almost immediately on a section that has the name of Byebye Bad Lands on Strava. This ended with a TL crossing of the A58 and then along the footway on the opposite side of that road to join a track through a wood, then along more footways swopping sides of a road to turn into Roundhay Park.

This is far as NCN677 extends. A TL crossing of Leeds Ring Road was followed by the straight line climb thereafter of Roundhay Park Lane. Followed the West Yorkshire Cycle Route leading onto Manor House Lane across a golf course, a sign warned of golfers hitting from the right. The road is blocked eventually to road traffic and turns into narrow track that decends to a junction with the A61 with not that brilliant visibility. Crossed over and down the access to Eccup Reservoir.

A climb away followed and then the decent to the A659 again. Over Harewood Bridge on the A61 and up to Kirkby Overblow for a welcome pause on a bench. Then to the A658, across the A61 and through Pannal for the final climbs, decent and climb again back home. 60.93 miles, 3474ft climbed, 12.4mph avg

Last edited:

Peugeotrider

Today ,4 of us set off through the sperrin mountains in northern ireland on a round trip of 25 mile.
All of us are about 50 and the bikes on the road b twin,raleigh,cube and a cf look.
First ten miles hilly but then it levels on the last section.
3 of us would be maybe average,we managed a 15mph avs today but one of the party just is not up to speed so we had to stop and wait a few times today.
We all returned to cycling a few months back after a 30 year gap and taking part in our first sportive next weekend through the sperrins so today was a reconisance mission before next weekend.
Good rideout and all home safe

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Once again I've got some catching up to do.

Wednesday morning: The hills were calling to me so I took the Raleigh and headed off to the Stiperstones and the Long Mynd. I started by climbing over Lyth Hill then dropping down to Hunger Hill where the A49 had to be braved for a short stretch but fortunately I got a gap just at the right time for my turning to Exford's Green on my way to Plealey, Pontesbury and Minsterley. The wind was against me on the way out but of course did mean I should have it helping later on. There are temporary lights on the approach to Pontesbury which changed to green as I approached then annoyingly changed straight back again just before I reached the "wait here" board. Pah!
A ting of my bell on the cycle path on the way to Minsterley caused a walker to nearly jump out of her skin but she laughed about it after.

Having negotiated another set of temporary lights I headed up the road to Plox Green. I thought I'd take a right at the crossroads (Drury Lane), instead of heading through Snailbeach as I usually do, and this turned out to be a good move as the Hope Valley road had closure signs meaning that any traffic would be going via Snailbeach to avoid the closure. The gradient soon ramps up and I wound my way up through Ladyoak, Hopesgate and Bentlawnt before dropping down a bit to Gravels and starting the next bit of climbing to Shelve then The Bog. The scenery changes quite a bit as this climb goes on, going from rolling farmland to quite open and wild-feeling moor.

Reaching The Bog there were quite a few cars parked up as people come up here to walk and a handful of cars came past where the driver was clearly unsure of where they were going as they went round the closure mentioned earlier. At the summit of this climb and about as far from anywhere as it is possible to be in Shropshire I found a flash Mercedes with a flat tyre and the driver having to call for help - I'd have offered assistance but I doubt my repair kit is up to the task.:whistle:

Having had a pause for a snack, the descent to Bridges was entertaining, especially as the wind was stronger and blowing across the road. No hedges to hide behind for a while. The Horseshoe wasn't open yet so I didn't have to try and resist temptation but did stop for a photo, then it was on to the next climb up to Ratlinghope. This lane has recently been resurfaced which made it really nice to ride.^_^ I'd been in two minds whether to go right up to the summit of the Long Mynd since I haven't done this much climbing in one go for a while and I'd have to ride into the wind on exposed roads at the top. Reaching the junction I decided to go for it anyway, dropped into low range and began the plod up onto the top. A pause to allow traffic past then a photo stop near the snow gate gave a couple of breaks on the steepest bit then after that the climb becomes gentler as the terrain becomes more rugged.

At Shooting Box I took to the bridleway as usual to reach Pole Bank. The fact that the summit can't be reached by car keeps the numbers of visitors down but today it wasn't as busy as I'd have expected to see during the summer holidays and the crowd around the toposcope this time were definitely all locals.;)

Having seen the views I moved on again, dropping down to the road on the Pole Cottage side then doubling back to Boiling Well and my descent of the Burway. There were more cars parked in various places over this side but still not in large numbers. Further down I did find more people walking and I expect that they had come up from Cardingmill Valley, which was fairly packed.

Back down into the valley I turned for home. The legs were pretty fatigued by now but I had the hoped for tailwind which helped get some speed up to All Stretton, across the valley (and the A49) to Hollyhurst then on to Longnor. I thought I'd go the longer way back so carried straight on at the crossroads for Frodesley and Acton Burnell. On the way out of Acton Burnell I heard a car come up behind me and expected them to overtake..... which they didn't until after Pitchford (missing probably six places they could have easily come past). I needed to haul on the anchors a bit sharpish due to a lorry taking up the road and found the brakes on this bike have a very pleasing bite when needed.^_^

By Cantlop the legs had had enough really so no records were likely to be broken on the last few miles through Condover and up to the A49. Having the wind helping for this bit was really appreciated as was the light traffic.

41.9 miles at 11.5 mph average this time.

Pontesbury

The Stables Inn near Hope.

Remains of old mine workings near Gravels. This area was mined for lead as far back as Roman times.

A good view of the Stiperstones shortly after Shelve.

Having passed the Stiperstones I'm on the road to Bridges and looking towards the Long Mynd.

The Horseshoe at Bridges.

On the climb up the Long Mynd. One of those rare photos where it really captures how steep the road is.

Up at the summit (Pole Bank) a group of locals check out the toposcope.

On my way down the Burway.

The steep section of the Burway. Cardingmill Valley looks very popular today.

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Wednesday afternoon: A ride with @gavgav and Doug was planned but the weather didn't look very promising. We decided to risk it so Doug and I headed over to Gav's and we set out into a pretty blustery wind. As Gav has already mentioned he had a car overtake then turn immediately left. When it came past me the driver had an open bottle of cider in his hand.

Doug hasn't been out for a while so he was struggling to keep up with Gav for the first few miles into that headwind. I tried being a windbreak for him but that didn't seem to help and I even tried giving a push but almost fell off my bike so gave up that idea pretty quick.:laugh: Once on Lyons Lane he got along better.

We had the chap who stopped and chatted when we paused at Ryton - Brooks saddles do seem to be a good way of breaking the ice with other riders.^_^ The first few spots of rain were felt as we passed Gonsal and by Stapleton it was coming down steadily and the countryside was obscured by a curtain of mist. Waterproofs were put on and we continued through Exford's Green on roads that were getting steadily wetter - not too much of an issue for Doug and I but Gav's carbon bike doesn't have mudguards. Approaching the turning for Annscroft it was nice to see the flag being blown strongly in the direction we were about to take - suddenly the pace improved and we even caught a green light at the temporary lights. A top speed just over 30 was achieved on the approach to Hook-A-Gate. By the time we parted from Gav we'd enjoyed the ride despite the weather.

17.9 miles by the time I got back at 11.9 mph average.

Seen on the way to meet Gav - the difference a pair of stick on googly eyes makes.:laugh:

Drink stop near Ryton. After this the rain started so I didn't take any more photos.

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Saturday: Gav invited me to join him over at the Welsh coast for my first stay away from home since covid came along. The forecast looked pretty poor in the days leading up to the trip but we decided to take bikes anyway in case we got a chance to use them. The Friday was too windy for our liking (we got a walk in instead) but the Saturday proved to be much better than expected so we headed out on a favourite route.

We have a mile or so on lanes to start then had to join the busy coast road. Most of the drivers behaved well this time but unfortunately there were a handful who appeared to have come on holiday and left their brains at home (in Shropshire judging by their number plates). One of these admittedly gave us room but genuinely came within inches of a crash with an oncoming car.:ohmy:

It was nice to leave that road and head down the steep and narrow lane that links to the northern end of the promenade where we had a fairly quiet run through Barmouth before most of the trippers had got out and about yet. Crossing the estuary is always a novelty to ride as the path is cantilevered out from the side of the historic railway bridge. On the other side of the water the path swings away from the existing line onto the former trackbed that is now the Mawddach Trail. We had this pretty much to ourselves for the first couple of miles then started meeting walkers and cyclists occasionally on the way to Penmaenpool. It got a little busier (but not what you could call busy) for the last few miles to Dolgellau where we had a pause overlooking the cricket pitch for a snack before heading through the town and starting the climb on the road signposted to Cadair Idris. This road is a long steady climb with just a handful of descents to give some respite. There was more traffic than expected, including the group of motorcyclists that @gavgav mentions who came past us a couple of times. Most people were headed for the car park at the foot of Cadair Idris so it was a bit quieter once past this. The people we did encounter afterwards though seemed to be unused to narrow single track roads and made heavy weather of passing other vehicles. One driver that we paused to allow to overtake came to a complete stop alongside us on seeing a VW camper coming the other way. So, now we are all blocking the road and I'm not quite sure what they thought was supposed to happen next.:wacko:

Reaching Llynnau Cregennen the place was as lovely as ever and we stopped to enjoy lunch with a great view. While there, a haze of drizzly rain crept over the mountain but thankfully didn't amount to much so we didn't even consider putting on waterproofs.

After the lakes we took the lane that drops down to Arthog. All the height we had gained in the last five miles or so is lost in little over a mile and a half on this gated lane as we drop round hairpin bends and through the woods. Very entertaining riding in this direction and I'm sure it would be quite a challenge going the other way (must try that some time). The descent isn't quite finished on reaching the A road at the bottom and some good speed can be racked up before turning off to rejoin the Mawddach Trail.

The return crossing of Barmouth Bridge was much busier with walkers and other cyclists so was even slower (the planked surface can't be ridden fast even at the best of times if you value your teeth :whistle:) and the town was heaving with people. As we went along the promenade it got quieter though as you get away from the shops and attractions. As Gav says, he managed the steep climb in one (this little lane climbs over 110 feet in only a few hundred yards so is quite a pull) and with a tailwind we cruised along the coast road nicely quick for us. The drivers were better this time round but we still took to the shared path as soon as it became available.

A great ride that I really enjoyed. The rain held off until just as we were putting the bikes away, which was nice. The knockabout bike is going to need a little work as the Mawddach Trail made the front mudguard rattle like it was going to fall apart any moment.:rolleyes:

My speedometer shows 32.7 miles at 10.1 mph average.

Unfortunately the lens of my camera got smudged so a lot of photos I took were spoiled. Here are the best of the rest:

Looking north up the coast from the point where we join the Barmouth promenade.

The approach to Barmouth Bridge.

Looking up the Mawddach Estuary.

At Penmaenpool.

Jumping ahead; not far from Llynnau Cregennen and looking back down the valley we've climbed up.

The final climb to the lakes.

A couple of shots at Llynnau Cregennen.

The view down to Barmouth before we start our descent.

Back at the promenade: We've just crossed the railway before our climb up to the coast road.

Last edited:

geocycle

Legendary Member
Had a day off but strong winds looked like they could ruin a ride, so had a look at the regional forecast and noted that the central Dales had mid teen mph averages rather than 20 mph plus here. So, a plan emerged, put the bike in the car to Hawes and parked up. Took the back road through Askrigg and past the magnificent looking Castle Bolton to Wensley. Left Wensleydale for Coverdale and the climbs started. I love Coverdale being so empty but it’s not flat. A final bit of effort took me to the top of Park Rash. The descent to Kettlewell is truly terrifying with gradients over 25% and hairpins. Found a cafe doing excellent hot pork sandwiches and Yorkshire energy bars ie fruitcake and cheese. Then it was up to the top of Wharfedale and into Langstrothdale. Followed a wonderful rock bed stream with waterfalls and swimming pools, wonderful despite the headwind. Then it was the climb to Fleet Moss, my first time up it. There can’t be many roads in England that get to 589m above sea level! The descent back to Hawes was …. Rapid! Less terrifying than Park Rash and better visibility. Had to call in Hawes Creamery when I passed it for Wensleydale and Ginger cheesecake! 47miles, 1500m of climbing.

Pics are of Coverdale, a post near the top of Park Rash, the dismalness that is fleet Moss,and some gorgeous barns near Gayle on the way down.

Top Bottom