Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Out on my Tricross this morning for my 6.7 mile commute to work with an average of 17.2 mph.
The chain was a little noisy today so at lunch time I gave it a good clean and dotted each roller with ceramic wet lube, so quiet now👍
I finished work just after 5pm for an extended ride home via Acaster Malbis and Naburn. I really should ride a different way but I do love this route. 27.82 miles with an average of 16.2 mph.

theloafer

Legendary Member
a trip to the seaside ... through the lanes to Thorpe-thewels to pick up the Wynyard cycle route (ncn1 )...then picked up the castle eden walk way (ncn14 ) which takes you past Hart station, then on the outskirts of Hartlepool. made my way to the marina, past the Museum to pick up the promenade which leads you all the way to Seaton Carew. called in to ice cream shop i had a lemon top then left on the seal sands road ( not many seals about today ) , it was here i decided as i was passing i would call in and see my fav MIL. had a quick cuppa and a chat.
time to head homeward through Wolviston past Wynyard heading back to ThorpeThewels were i changed my route to go see my best mate at Chilton, i picked up the wynyard cycle route again and when i reached the A680 picked up the track along side it (ncn1) all the way to sedgefield. then i had to join the A689 for a short run down to the Ferryhill turn off up Gipsy Lane , then on to Chilton. two cups of tea and a good catch up it was 6-30,home time .. down to Rushyford along the A167 to pick up the bridleway to Woodham Village then home at last. great day out even if it was longer than planned ,a round trip of almost 65 miles ^_^^_^

a trip to the seaside | Ride | Strava

Wynyard cafe cake +coffee

the walk+cycle track

the castle eden walkway

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Crossing back over Barmouth bridge was far busier and slower, before we found the hordes had arrived in the town, with the beach and promenade heaving, despite it being a cloudy day.

We climbed up the path back to the main road, very steep section and I managed to cycle it on this bike for the first time, just about avoiding a wheelie on the final gradient! The wind was behind us for the trip back up the main road, which despite still being very busy, had drivers who knew how to drive this time.
Barmouth was very busy when I was last there a few years back. I remember cycling both ways over the bridge a couple of times, but I have no recollection whatsoever of the steep bit between the road and the bridge!

I was here:

Then I was here:

But the transition between the two is a complete blank! :wacko: :laugh:

gavgav

Guru
Barmouth was very busy when I was last there a few years back. I remember cycling both ways over the bridge a couple of times, but I have no recollection whatsoever of the steep bit between the road and the bridge!

I was here:

View attachment 604631

Then I was here:

View attachment 604629

But the transition between the two is a complete blank! :wacko: :laugh:
Ah, my narrative didn’t flow too well, as the steep bit was at the far end of the promenade, over the railway crossing and up to Llanaber. There is a fairly steep climb out of Barmouth, to the bridge in a south easterly direction, but not one that sometimes requires walking the bike, as the other one frequently does :laugh:

PaulB

Legendary Member
Mine was yesterday and I've been wondering what I should do about yet more fall-out relating to it.

This is the ride; https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/7314964902

But on the last leg before home, I was riding along a cycle-dedicated pavement when a couple walking towards me decided to take offence at me and rather than go to his left, as I did to avoid them, he decided to move to his right and stick his arm out confrontationaly to try and stop me! What did he expect, that I'd stop and let him lecture me about the inadvisability of using a cycle-equipped pavement to (gasp) cycle?

My handlebars knocked into his outstretched arm and he thought yelling at me would get me to see the error of my ways and never use that cycle lane again. My concern though is that it happened so close to home so there's every possibility I'll see this vehement anti-cyclist again and he'll be out for revenge.

I've had issues before with a deranged lunatic insisting on her right to walk wherever she liked on the Stephen Burke bike track and anyone on a bicycle was infringing her rights so bought a mini camera for such incidents but didn't have it switched on during this incident yesterday.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Mine was yesterday and I've been wondering what I should do about yet more fall-out relating to it.

But on the last leg before home, I was riding along a cycle-dedicated pavement when a couple walking towards me decided to take offence at me and rather than go to his left, as I did to avoid them, he decided to move to his right and stick his arm out confrontationaly to try and stop me! What did he expect, that I'd stop and let him lecture me about the inadvisability of using a cycle-equipped pavement to (gasp) cycle?

My handlebars knocked into his outstretched arm and he thought yelling at me would get me to see the error of my ways and never use that cycle lane again. My concern though is that it happened so close to home so there's every possibility I'll see this vehement anti-cyclist again and he'll be out for revenge.

I've had issues before with a deranged lunatic insisting on her right to walk wherever she liked on the Stephen Burke bike track and anyone on a bicycle was infringing her rights so bought a mini camera for such incidents but didn't have it switched on during this incident yesterday.

Sorry to hear that, these incidents are unsettling. I had one on Sunday where I rang my bell on a narrow road, family out walking with dogs went to one side except for the husband and the dogs, he then heard me later and sauntered back in the middle of the road. I had to stop. Rather than a simple sorry which would have closed the incident he complained my bike was too quiet! Trivial, but annoyed at example set to kids.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Sorry to hear that, these incidents are unsettling. I had one on Sunday where I rang my bell on a narrow road, family out walking with dogs went to one side except for the husband and the dogs, he then heard me later and sauntered back in the middle of the road. I had to stop. Rather than a simple sorry which would have closed the incident he complained my bike was too quiet! Trivial, but annoyed at example set to kids.
You should put something on your spokes so you rattle and people can hear you, you uncaring beast. And pay your road tax while you're at it!!!

C R

Guru

That's one of the reasons I avoid shared paths whenever possible.

PaulB

Legendary Member
That's one of the reasons I avoid shared paths whenever possible.
It's a choice between the path or the busy road which was chocked at the time and the lights had just changed to red so a long delay was in the offing. I usually do choose the road but it was just the wrong time of day.

Old jon

Guru
Blue and grey today, with a boisterous breeze. Better take the fixed for a ride, don’t have to wonder if another gear will make any difference to the rate of travel.

Mostly heading east today, and it did occur to me that riding downriver, with that waterway for company, would be good. And so it was. Not at all busy, there was a tall crane lifting something on the far bank of the first stretch of canal, with a couple of boats in attendance. Too far away to see much, river and canal are adjacent here. On to Thwaites Mill, the river used to drive the putty making machinery here, river one side of the mill, canal the side I am riding. And then that bridge with the flight of steps to deal with.

All the way to Fishponds Lock, cross the canal again and ride on to Woodlesford. On the road again now. Sort of predictable, Swillington and Garforth next. Could not see Hook Moor and its windmills from the hill crest between those two, a lot of rain was falling over that way. After riding around the northern side of Garforth on the A642 I could see the windmills, the rain had gone away. Over the M1 to the B1217, this goes to the gates of Lotherton Hall, but today I don’t. There is a left turn to Aberford.

Carry on riding north, across Cock Beck. The bridge here looks way too big for the beck running beneath it, or am I missing something? Bramham Crossroads next, carry on along Paradise Way. Just seen on the map, there is a Paradise Farm on the east side of this road. Leeds University Farm said the sign outside this morning. Bramham next, and lots of signage related to the Leeds Festival. I turned left here and a mile or so later took the right fork to head to Holme Farm Lane. Which eventually (uphill mostly) meets Milner Lane and my way in to Thorner.

Ride up Carr Lane to leave the village and reach the A58, Wetherby Road but I turn left to go to Leeds. After the whizz down that hill I noticed the ‘Road Closed’ signs had gone, so I turned right to pass the Oakwood Clock and wend my way to Crown Point Bridge. Home soon now. A grin, the ride seemed longer than thirty two miles. Might be the breeze made it feel that way. Fifteen hundred feet ascending, it all adds up to a pretty good Tuesday ride.

Doodly garthing,

17082021.jpg

1708elev.jpg

Well, I broke the 8 mile barrier today - a roundabout route to the Final Whistle Cafe, courtesy of parts of the Guild Wheel and part unmapped and unsignposted 'dual carriageway' (peds and cyclists, through woodland) - fortunately I've always had a good sense of direction - then canal towpath and Wheel-signposted streets almost all the way to Aldi, slightly before which I got fed up of the streets and turned back, to return to the Final Whistle the way I'd come, along the canal, then home by a less circuitous route than I got there. Total 8.5 miles.
Took me a long time, but I do get off and walk under most canal bridges, and there are quite a few steel 'mazes' - a couple of them on steep slopes! - which act as very effective barriers to an old lady with a pushbike but which I suspect would be no barrier at all to youths with ill-intent as they could just lift their bikes over - and in a group, could easily lift lightweight mopeds and trail motorbikes over too ...
Fortunately at the worst one, two youths with good intent offered to help me and did indeed just lift the bike over.
So I won't be doing my shopping at Aldi by bike, I't'd take me days to get home with panniers or a trailer - and the milk would be shaken to butter along the canal towpath. Lidl is a far more practical proposition - no mazes, just some annoying but more 'normal' and easier-to-negotiate barriers.
At one point along the canal towpath, I rounded a bend and almost ran into my heron friend - we saw each other at the same moment; he took off and I regretted not seeing him sooner, as I think I could've stopped just a few yards away from him without his noticing me, at least for a while.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I did a bit of fettling today. Although the bike had been running beautifully lately, I had correctly assumed that the chain was getting considerably worn. A quick check confirmed this, so on with a brand new chain. I took the opportunity to put both of my original wheels back on in place of the ones I've been using lately. That gave me a nearly new cassette and two brand new Marathon Plus tyres with Slime inner tubes. I popped a couple of new pairs of Swissstop disc brake pads in while I was at it. I also noticed just in time that my bottom bottle holder was about to drop off the bike due to a sheared bolt. That could have lost me my toolkit, which I keep in a plastic tub in the bottle holder. Lastly, I had to fit the magnet for my trip computer onto one of the front wheel spokes and then pump up the tyres. A quick test spin around the drive and a clean up and I was ready to go just as @Dark46 and our friend Claire turned up at our house.

Another great little 31 mile ride with the two of them today. Out to Saul, then along the banks of the Severn and up and over to Arlingham, where we stopped at the river bank for a selfie .....

(I had to back off a bit for them to fit me in!!!!) ....
and then stopped again at a local farm to watch a Gloucester Old Spot sow and cute little piglets. Then over to Frampton on Severn before heading back to @Dark46 's place for coffees and putting the world to rights. The bike ran beautifully smoothly and the braking was noticeably better with the new Swissstop pads. All is well with the world.

theloafer

Legendary Member
todays little jaunt ... had not decided exactly my route while eating my porridge, had it down to choice of 2 and would make my mind up once i got to the start of both at Darlington.
picked the shorter route as the wind was getting blustery ...lol headed out by the Stadium and on to Neasham-low dinsdale over the river tees and almost traffic free through Girsby over the B1264 onto Hornby- Appleton Wiske- then more quite lanes through Deighton -Brompton and onto Northallerton for coffee+ sausage sarnie,which was had in a small little cafe up a small alleyway which pleased me as the place was manic .
left Northallerton on the B6271 to Yafforth then took a right turn on a very dodgy bend to Danby Wiske, it took a lot of will power to not stop at the pub. through Streetlam then took a left at Atley hill down to Scorton -Moulton -Middleton Tyas then drop down and through Barton-Stapleton and back at Darlington.
the market square had a cycle event on to get the kids on bikes Bikes of all types on offer at summer cycling event | The Northern Echo it look great fun. left Darlo via Cockerton and the back road up to Walworth gate then over to Heighington then dropped down to Aycliffe and home . another good day out 63 miles done

the old darlo 50 ish | Ride | Strava

Dark46

Veteran
Another great ride today with @Donger and Claire for another 50km ride. Everytime I go out these days the rides seem easier, could be something to do with the 2st less weight I'm carrying around.
I'm not getting out as often as I would like but I am doing a lot more walking these days and I really think is helping.
Today the weather didn't look great as we set off and luckily the clouds came to nothing.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Top Bottom