Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Well, was going to be Malham but North Yorkshire Council had decided to resurface Mewith Lane cutting off my main quiet route to and from the central Dales. So, backtracked to Bentham and then Ingleton. Navigation was tricky as Ingleborough had vanished, either low cloud or another Lancastrian plot. Regrouped in Ingleton and decided to head up to Chapel le dale, then Ribblehead. Ignored the hoards gathered at the junction and plunged down Ribblesdale through Horton to a lunch stop at Middle Studfold Farm. Had probably the best chicken sandwich ever and certainly the largest piece of coffee and walnut cake. Suitably stuffed, back via Warfe, Austwick, Clapham and Bentham. 63 miles, 1000 m of climbing.

pictures of Ingleborough proving the kidnap attempt has failed, Ribbleshead viaduct and the Sphinx like Penyghent.

Ooooh, nice getting out! Been too long, but did the usual 18 miler out on the Greenway into Wales and back. Couple of quick pics, first one of Anchorite's Cell from the 1300's part of the old monastery in Chester.

View of the Dee suspension bridge close to the Cell

Right-O decided this is the week to get some serious miles done, onward and upwards ^_^

Today's ride was a mundane 3 miles to Lidl and 3 miles back with a few kg of shopping, which made the steering even more 'interesting', but all was well. I'll be glad to get my proper 'luggage truss' fitted to the bike's luggage block , and put weight on the frame rather than on the handlebars! However, my cheapo Wilko basket and its mount was easy to fit (but the screws supplied were only *barely* long enough so I added a few cable ties as insurance and will acquire four fractionally-longer screws some time this week), did the journey easily and safely, and the slotting of the basket in and out of the fixing was easy, so I could take my basket into the shop with me and not over-fill it.
On my outward journey, all of the pavement from just before reaching about a half-mile stretch of very fast and busy road, all the way to Lidl itself, was marked as shared space peds/cyclists. Brilliant! I'll explore it further (and probably contact cyle.travel, so they can update their maps). It makes a big difference to me being able to use my bike as utility transport, if I don't have to venture onto 50mph+ carriageways carrying fast through traffic.

So a short(ish) ride but a merry one, and once at home, two ibuprofen after coffee and a cinnamon bun saw my damaged knee rapidly soothed and in any case nothing like as painful as if I'd walked for the same length of time. All's good!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
After the damp weather yesterday, the sunshine enticed me out this afternoon. The knockabout bike had an outing in order to test whether I'd fixed the rattling mudguard that annoyed me all along the Mawddach Trail last weekend.

To start with I headed into town, going round the old bypass then dropping into The Quarry via Porthill Bridge. Weaving through the crowds on Victoria Avenue was slow progress. I saw one of the new rickshaws awaiting passengers - I wonder if they will get on any better than I did?

Leaving Victoria Avenue and joining the river towpath there weren't as many people but still enough that I had to take care and the bell got plenty of use. It was a bit easier when I reached Sydney Avenue but the old canal path was quite popular, with more cyclists than walkers once past Sundorne.

At Uffington I join the roads which were nicely quiet and I could pick up the pace. I had a helping wind on the climb to Downton then wind and gradient in my favour to Upton Magna where the cafe at The Haughmond Inn was doing a good trade from passing cyclists. The wind was still in a helpful direction on the way to Atcham then on to Cross Houses.

At Cross Houses I was enjoying the ride enough that I decided to extend it and head along the main road a bit then take the turning for Cound Stank. I might have headed for Cound but there are diversion signs up making me think that the lane I wanted to take is still closed, so I headed towards Pitchford instead and joined the road to Cantlop. Again I thought I'd extend it a bit so ignored the usual left turn at Cantlop and dropped down into the dip then the climb up to the Kingstreet crossroads to join Lyons Lane. I thought I might take the lane past Allfield for a change then, thinking the A49 might be busy, carried on to climb over Lyth Hill (The A49 was quite busy when I came to cross it, so the right choice I think).

Having stopped for a photo from the top I rejoined the road and saw a mountain biker just ahead of me. I thought I'd catch them up quite quickly but it turned out to be the rider with the illegal e-bike again so left me for dust.

25.1 miles at 12.3 mph average. Nice to see a good lot of cyclists out enjoying themselves today.:okay: I'm pleased to report that the work on the mudguard was a success and I had a rattle-free ride.^_^

St. Chad's viewed from Victoria Avenue.

The English Bridge.

Dappled sunlight on the old canal route to Uffington.

Gateway with a view near Downton. Shame about the power lines draped across the landscape/

Upton Magna.

A pause at Cantlop Bridge.

View from Lyons Lane.

Looking towards the Wrekin from Lyth Hill.

AndreaJ

Veteran
Managed to find a bit of time for another quick ride today and actually finished cutting the hedge at the front of the house.
Started off to Loppington , Nonely, Commonwood and through to Myddle. Turned back to Burlton and then to English Frankton. There seems to be lots of road closed signs and diversions between Loppington and Baschurch which don’t appear to take you where you wanted to go which could explain why I hardly saw any traffic today. I avoided the road closures and turned to Colemere following the lane around Colemere to Lyneal, Welshampton then back to Northwood where I turned for home. Lots of cyclists out today. 22 miles.
955C2531-F4BC-47B9-AC34-19077D04515B.jpeg

88EA7132-5F6E-4144-B672-93BF1C05ABBA.jpeg

Mike_P

Guru
Sunday, quarter to 11, and headed to Nidd via Ripley; took the road under the access to Nidd Hall and despite the recent rain it was dry – being below adjacent land level.

Through Scotton, the “Banksie” still on the pub wall, and Farnham – almost at the top of climb beyond a 1969 replica of a late 1930s Jaguar SS 100 using a XJ6 chassis passed (thanks DVLA and Google) – either way it is an old car today.

Nearing Ferrensby it started raining and the decision to put a waterproof jersey on seemed to be a wise one even if the rain was meant to be mid afternoon onwards. It stopped as I headed to Arkendale only for a further brief outbreak beyond the staggered crossing of the A168. The road was flooded at a low point; I passed slowly through the mid point trusting no pot hole was lurking.

South-east on the B6265 to Green Hammerton, pausing at a warm and sunny bus stop shelter for a snack as the nearby wooden bench was soaked. Headed east then south on a narrow lane before the bustle of the A59 towards York. It started raining again, this time with some vengeance and water was dripping off the jersey onto the back of the shorts:sad:

Seeing a junction ahead I turned right only to realise that it was not the turning I wanted. Thankfully there was not too long a delay to turn right back onto the A59 and the correct right turn thereafter. The rain now ceased and I reached the final 6th letter ABC of Hessay (given the lack of any such z).

It did now stay dry and at times sunny. On to the edge of Long Marston and via Tockwith to Copgrove where a dry bench was a welcome break. Continued west;

Little Ribston, the A658 through Birkham Wood, Calcutt and the Starbeck branch of NCN67 followed.
44.54 miles 1529ft climbed 14.8mph avg

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Today's club ride was one of our monthly series of "Super Sunday" rides, where we head further afield for a change. That also made it a good opportunity for me to do my qualifying ride for the "Metric Century-a-Month Challenge" for August. So it was that seven of us headed off northwards to Worcester today - a place that I have skirted several times, but never felt like crossing the awful circle of dual carriageways making up the ring road.

On the way North, we had good views of the Malvern Hills, and criss-crossed the M5 several times. Near one of those crossings, I spotted the concrete rabbit in the woods near Strensham Services that @CR sometimes posts pictures of. Arriving near Worcester, it turned out that our route planner had plotted a great route that passed under one of the main roads and then crossed over the ring road on a brand new looking cyclists' and pedestrians' bridge. By the time we got to the cafe stop, a floating cafe in the main canal basin, I was quite happy that staff shortages were slowing down the service, as I was starting to ache by then and enjoyed a nice long rest.

The start of the return journey involved riding around the canal basin before crossing another brand new bridge over the Severn.

This was followed by a great little ride along the river bank before heading towards Malvern via the Worcestershire County cricket ground. My back had started to ache by this time, so I held people up a little on the way back, stopping to stretch my back a couple of times. I took the opportunity to buy cold drinks at the same time. By the time we reached Maisemore, I said my goodbyes and made my way home via the riverbank, the Gloucester ring road cycle path and the towpath of the Gloucester & Sharpness Canal. 115.4km (71.7 miles) done by the time I got home. 7 hours door to door, including a long cafe break. Decent weather, and very few hills, though we did do the nasty little climb up the Woolridge at the 64 mile mark. I shall ache after this one.
Cheers, Donger.

gavgav

Guru
Got out after working, for my first ride in over a week. Dreadful weather and other plans had put pay to rides since coming back from Wales. Tonight, however, was a lovely warm and sunny evening, for what feels like the first time since July!

I went through the nearby estate, finding that the northerly wind was keen, but I soon turned South and enjoyed the tailwind. I crossed onto the busy A458, where a concrete mixer stormed past me, not seeing the car in front stopped, waiting to turn onto the A5, cue screeching of tyres and horrid smell of burning rubber, but somehow not followed by a crashing sound. There really are some complete and utter nobbers about on the roads recently, far worse than pre pandemic.

I was glad to get away from the main road, through Betton Abbots, to King St Crossroads and then along Lyons Lane to Condover. Annoyingly busy with traffic along there, but quite a few cyclists as well.

I then headed up to Gonsal, overtaking a chap weaving all over the road on a bike, whilst smoking something that certainly wasn’t your normal sort of cigarette, in his left hand :wacko:.

Next I was heading on to Stapleton and Exfords Green, where an unusual bottleneck occurred. 8 horses and riders, coming towards me and a car, plus a lorry and 2 cars behind them. We negotiated things ok and thankfully the horses weren’t of the skittish variety, especially with teenagers making up the bulk of the riders.

At Annscroft, I turned North again and the Union Jack confirmed that I would be cycling directly into the wind, through to Hook a Gate and Meole Village. As I neared the local shop, I came across a Leyland Cub vintage bus parked up and looking at pictures since returning, I think it was circa 1930’s model. It was in a very impressive condition. :okay:

Arrived home with 15.54 miles completed, at 13.3mph avg. Needed that.

footloose crow

Über Member
'A Devon Delight' - 100k audax

I would like to say thank you to the six people in the UK who are not currently in Cornwall. It is a bit 'over busy here. Not complaining....everyone is lovely but there are quite a lot of lovely people here. Possibly too many. Which make the roads (and everywhere else) quite crowded. And given us the highest Covid rate in the UK in Newquay.

So to Devon for a ride instead. Less hilly. Slightly fewer people than Cornwall or so I thought. Except that today there seemed to be hundreds of others who have all turned up for the same ride. Damn. I have only done unpopular audaxes until now and in the colder months too so I was expecting just a dozen riders or so. Today is beautiful, blue sky, pleasantly warm but not hot, an English summer Sunday and everyone wants to ride. Lots of them. I am early with plenty of time to people watch.

I am not a Club rider. I find the hand signals a bit mystifying. By the time I have worked out what they mean I have hit the pothole anyway. A mass start on a cycle path is my idea of hell. I am not looking forward to it.

My 'I am not looking forward to this' face

What am I doing here anyway, I don't like crowds. I look around for another rider on their own to talk to but it feels as if everyone here is from the same club and this is the first time they have met since Covid struck. Perhaps it is. The organiser asks us to choose which group we want to start in - fast, medium or slow. Which would you choose? Probably the same as me.....medium. Everyone else thinks they are medium it seems and no one moves. Eventually some braver souls hesitantly come forward, and disappear up the road.The pressure is on those guys now.

I think the organiser wanted three equal sized groups but it isn't going to happen. We all move off together, a chorus of clicks, on the command "medium group now". Who wants to be called 'slow'? I strike up some conversations awkwardly as we navigate the prams, children and oncoming bikes on the cycle path. 'Do you come here often?' Bikes beside me, behind me, in front of me. Pedestrians look bemused. "Are there more coming" one asks. I have no real idea but yes, probably. Hundreds of us.

The bikes thin out until there are just two of us riding together. She tells me she has done this audax many times and seems unconcerned that my Wahoo suggests in a flurry of red flashes and angry beeps that we are off route. I follow her back wheel lazily until she stops and says we are not on route. I zoom out the Wahoo and guess at roads and lanes until we are back on route again - adding several extra kilometres and 200 vertical metres to the day. Things can only get better now..... but they don't and now comes a long Cat 3 hill which leaves me breathless and hurting. My fault. I always want to get in front of people. Otherwise I will be in the slow group. I wonder if I have burnt too many matches already 15km into the ride.

It is a good ride. Quiet lanes, tree shrouded and narrow, down to the sea at Dawlish, then along the coast and up the River Exe estuary. Lots to see and lot of people out seeing it. Lots of people but I haven't seen another rider since Dawlish Warren. I know I complained about too many riders earlier but now it would be nice to have some company. Bike lanes and empty suburban roads lead around Exeter and back into the countryside. I know there is a manned control at 57km which promises food and I am looking forward to it.

At 67km I admit that to myself that I have managed to miss the control. Go back? Carry on? Missing the control means I am DNF - Did Not Finish. Going back feels wrong too. And it will be uphill. I continue to move forwards whilst thinking about it and latch onto the back of a fast group. They have been slowed by a tardy level crossing - and presumably stopping to eat. I want to hang on to them and do until the road steepens and one by one we are spat out of the back. Not just me that can't keep up it seems.

Time for a quick stop and a gel. Another long hill ahead and I haven't eaten enough.

The dawning realisation I have missed the control

I begin to overtake the spat out riders as the hill continues. The advantage of living in Cornwall is the amount of involuntary hill training we get. The top is a very long way but the next 25km are either downhill or flat and my average speed is going to rise now. More spat out riders are passed but I still can't see the fast group.....

......until the finish where they are just a few minutes ahead of me.

Good news - my fastest 100k. Which means that there are plenty of scones and cream left at the finish (even if Devonians apply the cream before the jam which is just wrong). I am starving.

Bad news - the ride won't count as I missed a control.

I don't mind. It was a good day out and I learnt from the experience. One, don't follow anyone else even if they say they have done this route before. Two, put the controls as POI on the Wahoo so I get a warning when close. Three, go back and find the control you missed. It isn't a race. It is about endurance, navigation and self reliance. The overall time doesn't matter.

Sometimes though, you can't help yourself. Speed! Power!

Screenshot 2021-08-23 at 21.43.31.png

Old jon

Guru
Feels like a long time since my last ride, Thursday it was. Looking fine outdoors, barometer high, so no excuses. Take the Spa for a ride.

Slaid Hill again, Wike and East Keswick next, on the way to Linton. Before reaching that last, just after turning onto the A659, I glanced at the garthing and it told me I had ridden 12.34 miles so far. Enough excitement, methinks, I barely looked at the thing again. Anyway, to reach Linton I have to cross the second river of the ride, the River Wharfe. The Aire was crossed at Crown Point.

Pass the pub, in Linton, and turn left onto Northgate Lane. A bit up and up, this lane, but gradual, and it leads to the T junction where I turn left again to head to Sicklinghall. Just opposite the first house in the village is a road end. The OS map identifies it as a road, less than four metres wide. Someone else has claimed it as a private drive, and put up a sign to that effect. I ignored the sign, and did my first bit of off road riding for a while.

The video does not show the more civilised bits of Stockeld Park, if there are any. The road leads to the A661, where a left turn leads to Spofforth. There is a ruined castle here, and a rather long causeway to ride across the River Crimple. Third river of today’s ride, and turn right at the end of the causeway to take the road to North Deighton. Another right turn in the village has me riding south east to Wetherby.

Busiest bit of the ride, but soon over. Head to Collingham from there, and take the left turn to climb Jewitt Lane. Both steps of it, but I did turn right, onto Compton Lane. The hedges along here have grown thicker and higher, limiting the view of the scenery a bit, but it is still a good road to ride. Through East Rigton on the way to Milner Lane and Thorner, easy going now. Carr Lane is still uphill to leave Thorner, all the way to the A58.

Easy navigating from now on, take that road all the way into Leeds, with a detour to see the Oakwood Clock. It is about five miles from there to home, which I reached with a grin on my old mug, a really good ride it was today. Thirty nine miles, two thousand three hundred feet of ascent and nigh on perfect weather.

Pictures, worth a thousand words?

24082021.jpg

2408elev.jpg

Chief Broom

Veteran
This is my regular ride along the length of Loch Brora and river Brora and back to the river mouth /sea for a cool drink and relax. About 17/18m which for me is good going ^_^ its a nice single track ride though road surface is a bit bad in parts. For fitter riders theres plenty of options, could ride to Rogart, Loch Fleet or Lairg. My next goal is to ride over the hills to Golspie and back along the A9 to Brora ^_^

Top Bottom