Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianbarton

Veteran
Abergele to Llandudno and Back.
A family ride on Tuesday.

There was a lot of traffic on the A55 with quite a few sections where things slowed to crawl. Google maps showed a serious hold up around Abergele. Hannah managed to find a route that came off he A55 and go via some minor roads to Abergele Station.

We unloaded the bikes and set off along the cycle track, which was right next to where we parked the car. Once we got past the static caravan sites and amusement arcades the cycle track was almost deserted. I had done the ride couple of times in the past and thought it was almost completely flat apart from a final steep pull up the Little Orme. However, I had forgotten a couple of short steep ramps that lead up to the main road!

Things were going well until we reached the outskirts of Colwyn Bay. There were some major works on a short section of the track at the start of the Promenade. The entrance to the cycle path was shut off and there was a row of big diggers behind the fence. The diversion signs were not very helpful, pointing in opposite directions. I went one way but Anne and Hannah went in another direction. Shortly before reaching the centre of Colwyn Bay I met a fellow cyclist who used to be a barber from a town near to home. He confirmed that there were two possible ways through the roadworks. I carried on into the centre of Colwyn Bay and rejoined the cycle track.

The Promenade was very busy and after several attempts phoning each other and dropping pins on Google maps we decided to carry on towards the point where the track goes inland. It turned out that Anne and Hannah were a couple of kilometres in front, so I sped up to try and catch them up. The cycle track is clearly marked and is separate from the pedestrian track, which is on red tarmac. It was too busy to cycle on the narrow road. I had managed to dodge various children, dogs and pedestrians wandering onto the cycle track. However, just as I was overtaking a couple they suddenly veered onto the track.

I swerved towards the road and since I couldn't see what was coming tried to ride along the kerb. My front wheel slipped off into the road and the next moment I was sliding along the tarmac on my side. I had scraped the skin off along my left elbow and forearm. A kind couple of passers-by asked if I was OK and gave me a paper hanky to staunch the blood. When I got home I found a few big bruises on my left hip.

I got back on the bike and caught up with Hannah and Anne at the top of the hill up the Little Orme. We dropped down into Llandudno and called in at Starbucks for something to eat and drink. I grabbed a handful of paper napkins to mop up the blood.

The ride back to Llandudno was uneventful and we had the breeze behind us.

Outward ride showing me going back and forwards trying to find the other two!
10_08_21 - A bik (1).png

Colwyn Bay
vlcsnap-2021-08-11-11h48m48s744.png

Hannah on the Trek Bike.
vlcsnap-2021-08-11-11h47m47s687.png

Anne heading back towards Abergele
vlcsnap-2021-08-11-11h52m11s011.png

Llandudno Promenade
vlcsnap-2021-08-11-11h54m06s625.png

Roadworks on the track at Colwyn Bay.
vlcsnap-2021-08-11-11h40m54s293.png

Ouch!
Scraped_elbow.jpeg

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Abergele to Llandudno and Back.
A family ride on Tuesday.

There was a lot of traffic on the A55 with quite a few sections where things slowed to crawl. Google maps showed a serious hold up around Abergele. Hannah managed to find a route that came off he A55 and go via some minor roads to Abergele Station.

We unloaded the bikes and set off along the cycle track, which was right next to where we parked the car. Once we got past the static caravan sites and amusement arcades the cycle track was almost deserted. I had done the ride couple of times in the past and thought it was almost completely flat apart from a final steep pull up the Little Orme. However, I had forgotten a couple of short steep ramps that lead up to the main road!

Things were going well until we reached the outskirts of Colwyn Bay. There were some major works on a short section of the track at the start of the Promenade. The entrance to the cycle path was shut off and there was a row of big diggers behind the fence. The diversion signs were not very helpful, pointing in opposite directions. I went one way but Anne and Hannah went in another direction. Shortly before reaching the centre of Colwyn Bay I met a fellow cyclist who used to be a barber from a town near to home. He confirmed that there were two possible ways through the roadworks. I carried on into the centre of Colwyn Bay and rejoined the cycle track.

The Promenade was very busy and after several attempts phoning each other and dropping pins on Google maps we decided to carry on towards the point where the track goes inland. It turned out that Anne and Hannah were a couple of kilometres in front, so I sped up to try and catch them up. The cycle track is clearly marked and is separate from the pedestrian track, which is on red tarmac. It was too busy to cycle on the narrow road. I had managed to dodge various children, dogs and pedestrians wandering onto the cycle track. However, just as I was overtaking a couple they suddenly veered onto the track.

I swerved towards the road and since I couldn't see what was coming tried to ride along the kerb. My front wheel slipped off into the road and the next moment I was sliding along the tarmac on my side. I had scraped the skin off along my left elbow and forearm. A kind couple of passers-by asked if I was OK and gave me a paper hanky to staunch the blood. When I got home I found a few big bruises on my left hip.

I got back on the bike and caught up with Hannah and Anne at the top of the hill up the Little Orme. We dropped down into Llandudno and called in at Starbucks for something to eat and drink. I grabbed a handful of paper napkins to mop up the blood.

The ride back to Llandudno was uneventful and we had the breeze behind us.

Colwyn Bay
View attachment 604114

Hannah on the Trek Bike.
View attachment 604113

Anne heading back towards Abergele
View attachment 604110

Llandudno Promenade
View attachment 604109

Roadworks on the track at Colwyn Bay.
View attachment 604108

Ouch!
View attachment 604117
A like for the write up, not the off.

Hope the bike is okay.

gavgav

Guru
I’m up in Wales for the weekend, at the caravan and with the Covid restrictions removed, @Rickshaw Phil is able to join me, for his first visit in a couple of years.

The forecast for today has changed many times, this week, but this morning it suggested dry until 2pm and so we got out on the road earlyish, just after 9, also hoping that the main road down into Barmouth would be quieter……The howling Gale from yesterday had also gone, thankfully.

The main road was far from quiet, probably the busiest I’ve ever known it and unfortunately a handful of drivers had left their brain cells (if they had any) on the campsites they were leaving. 2 idiots passing us into the path of oncoming traffic, 1 missing a head on crash by inches. We were glad to get off the road and drop down to the promenade.

It was quiet along there, too early for the day trippers and we then had a pretty quiet crossing of Barmouth Bridge, before joining the Mawddach Estuary trail. The wind was pretty much behind us and so we had a very pleasant trip along there, a few cyclists about, but quieter than my last ride along there.

Phil after crossing the bridge.

We arrived at Dolgellau and paused for a snack by the cricket pitch, where the groundsmen were preparing for an afternoon match. We then looped through the town and began the long steep climb up to Cregennan Lakes. There was more traffic than normal, on the climb, probably people heading for an ascent of Cader Idris and some very noisy lads on scrambling bikes, one of whom gave us some encouragement for the climb!

We arrived at the Lakes, with some drizzle starting to fall, but it wasn’t too heavy and we paused for lunch by the lake, enjoying the views.

We then had the very steep and fun descent down the hairpin bends, to Arthog, before a short downhill section on the main road, then back to join the Mawddach trail again. We paused at the loo’s and I didn’t see the flood in the blocked urinal, so waded into it before realising xx(

Crossing back over Barmouth bridge was far busier and slower, before we found the hordes had arrived in the town, with the beach and promenade heaving, despite it being a cloudy day.

We climbed up the path back to the main road, very steep section and I managed to cycle it on this bike for the first time, just about avoiding a wheelie on the final gradient! The wind was behind us for the trip back up the main road, which despite still being very busy, had drivers who knew how to drive this time.

We arrived back at the caravan, just in time, as the rain started to fall whilst we were putting the bikes back in the shed.

A very enjoyable ride and nice to have some company in Wales again.

32.91 miles at 10mph avg.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Our final Dales ride! Windy outside so we decided to stay low and not go up on the moors! Instead, we rode the Swale Trail starting at the Dales Bike Centre (primarily so we could eat more of their cake).
I believe the trail is quite new but it was excellent! It winds its way up the river to Gunnerside on a mix of grass or gravel trails and some short lane stretches! It’s a gentle uphill all the way and we had a tough headwind but it was much more rideable than our previous days’ rides! We really enjoyed it!
The final five miles from Gunnerside to the turnaround point at Keld are apparently more challenging! We climbed up out of Gunnerside on a lane, it was steep in places! Got to the top and prepare to drop down onto the valley and my husband and son mutinied! They were not keen to lose all that height and have to climb up again on the way home! We discussed our options over a delicious plum flapjack in a lay-by and basically, I lost! We turned round and headed back to the car!
The return trip was eye opening! We had a tail wind and it turned out that we’d been climbing the whole way…so we shot downhill pretty much all the way back! Loved it!
@KnittyNorah, you wondered if the trail had been ‘sanitized’ but actually no, it was lovely! Well signposted and not overly challenging compared to the hills surrounding it, but hilly enough to keep you honest and with enough gravel and rock to keep you on your toes! We all really enjoyed this little jaunt!
Finished at the Dales Bike Centre which is now a firm family favourite - cracking food, cakes and coffee! Very happy family!

13 rider

Guru
After the early morning food shop it's time for a ride out the door at 10 heading on my standard 50km loop out to Wymeswold . Leaving the lovely village of Anstey (ignore the opinions of other cyclechatters ) out to Cropston and Cossington 6 miles in and I'm averaging 19.5 mph I think I had a tailwind :smile: the turn for Sileby confirmed this . Through Seagrave and up the long climb of Berrycott lane and time for the normally fast descent of narrow lane but the block headwind slowed it down today . Through Wymeswold . Heading home now ,Barrow ,Mountsorrel where I rode a few miles with another rider . The sky was getting black where I was heading the other ride was about to turn away and we both wondered if we could get home dry .Cropston and finally back to the lovely village of Anstey always worth a visit ,home of some notable cyclists . Just climbing the hill to home and it starts to spit with rain by the time I'm home and walking in the door it's raining properly :rain:perfect timing . 50km ticked off in a tad under 2 hours

Last edited:

AndreaJ

Veteran
Had just enough time for a short ride today before starting on university stuff shopping for my daughter. Set off to Northwood and through to Waterloo and the longer way to Edstaston, carried on to Ryebank, Horton onto the Ellesmere road to Loppington before turning by the duck pond to Lyneal. Changed my mind about which way I was going and headed past Newton Mere back onto the Ellesmere road at the top of the big hill. Turned back to Welshampton managing to set the speed check sign off at 18mph on the way past. Turned off to Breadon Heath, Bettisfield, Northwood and back home. 21 miles.
8DB16696-CCC2-4A51-B590-B2A583B0F3D8.jpeg

B11DC8FE-CD16-4E69-BBC7-CB36B68F11FD.jpeg

I like Highland cattle and this one was fascinated by my bike!

Mike_P

Guru
Saturday, almost half past midday and the Defy turned its wheels in anger for the first time since the 1st, a new hub cover fitted to overcome the slipping issues and a waterproof jersey on saving on the need for a rain jacket in the back pocket – something that was going to transpire to be beneficial.

North on the A61, its loose chippings now largely solidified although I did nearly run in a pile of them on a bend and on the western edge of Ripon the 6th letter ABC of Bishopton albeit only identified by a sign post and the name of the road. Largely consumed by Ripon including its Parish the old buildings set beyond open land form a conservation area.

Out of Ripon on the old Hutton Bank which is shut off at the top and a cycle path link joins to the current A61 for the final climb to the top during which I noticed one of the straps of the below top bar bag had become undone. Stopped as soon as I turned off the A61 and refixed it, twice, but further on, in Wath, it had come undone again. A more detailed examination undertaken and the grippy bit of the Velcro fastener had almost completely disappeared. Now the back pocket space due to no rain jacket proved it worth even if must have been an odd sight:eek:

Narrow lanes beyond , with the need to pull over to allow a large tractor and trailer to pass in the opposite direction, brought me to the A6055 pass the Heck sausage factory with a temperature display of 22 degrees – something wrong there, it definitely was not that warm and the westerly had some strength to it. Under the A1(M) to Sinderby and a brief hunt for a sign – it was back on the road I had joined on the edge of the village.

A westerly direction in the headwind now and a slow climb over the A1(M) back to the A6055 before heading west again on the B6285, more sheltered, to Burneston dominated by the Grade I Church of St Lambert dating from the 15th and 16th centuries.

The B road then headed north turning into the headwind with west then north west headings to Bedale, where I turned south west briefly on the B6268 before following the route of NCN71 until it turned north. Continued south west to Burrill where the Wahoo directed straight on, but the map correctly showed a left turn in order to reach Thornton Watlass – a very lumpy road of the upward variety. The village green included a cricket ground and signs implied a lot more cyclists about on Sunday than the very few today.

The road remained lumpy thereafter but now of a downward nature overall and the B6268 was rejoined passing a huge quarry. South east with tailwind on the B6267 speed was now somewhat quicker until I turned onto a lane signposted as being for Binsoe. Single track with a rough grass centre and nettles amassing in some height to the sides careful progress was made along the lane which had some notable upwards elements to it. Reaching the few properties of Binsoe the grass centre to the road disappeared and it descended down to the A6108 to West Tanfield and thence to Ripon where occasional rain spots became evident. I paused on a bench conveniently under a tree in the hope it would pass but not so and it turned a bit more frequent.

A lengthy wait to turn right across the bypass and onto Bishop Monkton by which time the frequency of the rain had diminished to the odd spot. For once did not pause on streamside bench and headed west up Moor Road; the wind had now dropped, and back south on the A61.

Annoyed in Killinghall by a clown in an overly bloated 4 wheel drive the size of his ego; turning onto the B6161 there are always parked cars to overtake and then a left bend so I have always taken the racing line from the overtake to the bend as no vehicle can safely overtake – the clown was not amused that I had immediately pulled towards the side and blasted me with his horn:cursing:

55.9 miles 2408ft climbed 14.5 mph average

Last edited:

cwskas

Über Member
I had a nice ride with my oldest son this morning -- 37 miles in 2h 52m. A respectable (for me) 12.9 mph average. The first time I had to 'portage' my trike.

Unexpected obstacle

Flipped the trike upside down over my shoulder

Caanan Church

Prairie Chapel school

Just cruisin'

Start and finish at Patton Church

My new vehicle which can handle two trikes with the seats stowed. That allows me to go and pick up a grandchild and go for a ride.

Willie

Landsurfer

Veteran
Well this was a strange start to the day and the ride .... !!
12 miles of twiddling alongside the Don and causing a Firearms Incident in Rotherham !!!

Riding along the canal path behind New York stadium and older man was walking towards me with “something” wrapped up in black bin bags. I can spot a a rifle stock from quite a distance. I rode past him, out of range, and called 101.
After a chat, which included me being asked how i was sure it was a rifle stock and telling them “23 years in the armed forces” , he put me on hold and said he’d send some colleagues ... back in a few minutes, took my details ....
Hope all went well ...
And cycled off ...

One of the weirs on the “5 weirs walk” seems to have collapsed, this the one behind Gripple.

This a view of the weir behind the Tinsley poo works ... lovely view but a lot of curries eaten last night in Sheffield by the smell.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
just a very steady spin out to Naburn Marina this morning. My friend passed away suddenly earlier in the week, I’ve been sad, shocked and angry so had to get out, cycling is so good for clearing your head and improving wellbeing.
28.9 miles with an average of 14.6 mph. Lovely ride and feeling a bit better now😃

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
Blue skies! Huh, damp back garden. Going for a ride anyway, the Spa is calling. And I have to see how the legs are after Friday’s efforts.

A solo ride today, which means a bit of thinking is needed. Down to Holbeck, towpath next to Viaduct Road, cross the Aire and up out of the valley to Headingley. Aim for the Ring Road at Lawnswood and the rain started, it kept me company all the way along the A660 to Bramhope. By which time I had decided where the rest of the ride would be. Carry on to Otley, over the River Wharfe and stop in Wharfe Meadows Park (I think) for a bite and sup. After that, up the hill to Farnley and down the other side. And something unusual.

I cannot think of a suitable collective noun. A pollution of Porsches? Ah well. Turn right and pedal to Pool, riding back across the Wharfe along the way. A left turn is the A659, this way to Arthington. And the climb up Creskeld Lane, back to Bramhope, without the earlier rain. Leave Bramhope, a good idea is to go up Kings Road. Left then right at the top, Eccup is this way. First the village of that name. One cyclist and a few walkers. More pedestrians and riders along the bridleway to the reservoir, then that rising road to the A61.

Downhill almost all the way now. Before reaching the Ring Road there was a sign about today’s events at Roundhay, OK I am not going back via the Oakwood Clock, which was my original intention. Let’s go down Harrogate Road and dodge around Potternewton Park on the last lap of the ride. Back across the Aire and to the street where I live. Smile time, thirty two very pleasant miles and eighteen hundred feet elevating myself (eh?), a good Sunday morning.

Drawn by bicycle . . .

15082021.jpg

1508elev.jpg

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Our final Dales ride! Windy outside so we decided to stay low and not go up on the moors! Instead, we rode the Swale Trail starting at the Dales Bike Centre (primarily so we could eat more of their cake).
I believe the trail is quite new but it was excellent! It winds its way up the river to Gunnerside on a mix of grass or gravel trails and some short lane stretches! It’s a gentle uphill all the way and we had a tough headwind but it was much more rideable than our previous days’ rides! We really enjoyed it!
The final five miles from Gunnerside to the turnaround point at Keld are apparently more challenging! We climbed up out of Gunnerside on a lane, it was steep in places! Got to the top and prepare to drop down onto the valley and my husband and son mutinied! They were not keen to lose all that height and have to climb up again on the way home! We discussed our options over a delicious plum flapjack in a lay-by and basically, I lost! We turned round and headed back to the car!
The return trip was eye opening! We had a tail wind and it turned out that we’d been climbing the whole way…so we shot downhill pretty much all the way back! Loved it!
@KnittyNorah, you wondered if the trail had been ‘sanitized’ but actually no, it was lovely! Well signposted and not overly challenging compared to the hills surrounding it, but hilly enough to keep you honest and with enough gravel and rock to keep you on your toes! We all really enjoyed this little jaunt!
Finished at the Dales Bike Centre which is now a firm family favourite - cracking food, cakes and coffee! Very happy family! View attachment 604148
View attachment 604149

View attachment 604150

View attachment 604151
A fabulous area for cycling, some bits are quite challenging so well done!
I’ve been to the Dales bike centre lots of times, their homemade cakes are lovely.
Where abouts did you stay?

Top Bottom