Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Remember how you saw 'old boys' in the villages and countryside decades ago, ambling along on their black Rudge type bikes, that was me today, ambling along, village to village, at no speed, just enjoying the quiet countryside.
16 miles only (hips dont take any more now) but thoroughly enjoyed being out in the sun and countryside.

Ive long since realised, its not all about extending the miles, increasing the fitness and pace, push push push. That had its rightful place in my life, now (partly because it has to be) its enjoyment just for enjoyments sake.

Remember how you saw 'old boys' in the villages and countryside decades ago, ambling along on their black Rudge type bikes
I always have this picture in my mind of some old boy on such a three-speed roadster, almost certainly rod-braked, ambling along doing about 5mph in third. The cranks seemed to take an age to turn, and I knew it was third because of the 'tick'. I can still see him, going past the the blacksmith's shop. Yes, I'm ancient.
Edit: This was when I lived in one of the very flattest parts of Essex, so maybe the old boy wasn't trying as hard as it might seem...

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Bumping up the miles today, last couple of rides I managed 11. miles. Today 25 miles. Felt completely knackered at the end but I really need to get my stamina back. Would love to get back to where I was a year ago. Hopefully over the next few months providing the weather holds.
Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/xsHDse6lCib

Cathryn

Legendary Member
First day in the Dales and our first MTB excursion. Utterly humbling! Apparently I’m nowhere near as fit as I thought and I have the bike handling skills of a hedgehog!

From Hawes we headed to Burtersett and climbed a bonkers trail right to the top. I basically pushed the whole way. At the top we got lost and did a loop around a ridge - beautiful views! I managed to ride a bit. The Husband fell off into a fence (luckily not barbed wire). The son fell off into a ditch of thistles! Eventually we made it to the gravel Roman road but the stones were huge and I really struggled to handle my bike! I’ve never been so delighted to see tarmac! We had epic snacks in a little cafe in Bainbridge and took a quiet lane back to Hawes!

Lovely day out despite my moaning above but really quite humbling. I have a lot to learn about off-road

Did my first 100 miler of the year today. Nice easy route to Skegness, taking advantage of the wind and the flat terrain.

set off at 06:30ish, with the plan to get to Corby Glen for the first cafe stop at 38 miles.
Got there before the cafe was open so rather than wait I carried on.

second planned stop was a McDonalds in Boston, at 68 miles. Stopped there for a coffee and a breakfast thingy. After 68 miles it was beautiful.

Get to around 75 miles and it started to rain, couple of miles later it is proper rain. Five minutes of that and it stops and I quickly dry out.

Get on the outskirts if Skegness and the traffic is gridlocked. Filter by it all and get to the train station and I’m on 99.8 miles.Spin round go to the clock tower and back. Nip into Iceland for a drink. Only cold drinks they have is milk. Grab a pint and some warm Lucozade and get to the station on 100.8 miles, job done.

took me just over 5 1/2 hours, will be one of my quickest 100 mile rides, if not the quickest, not bad for a fatty.:becool:

now on the train for a three hour journey back to Leicester
Wow,never done 100 miles in less than 6.5 hours cycling time. Recent effort to S Coast and back took 8.5 hours, but it was hilly

First day in the Dales ... Utterly humbling!

The reactions in your post really made me laugh and reminded me so much of the reactions of horse riders from 'outside the area' when a couple of friends and I used to organise training rides for endurance riding in the Peak District and the Pennines - we were all from 'northern hill country' ourselves so it was quite the revelation to find out how difficult some people found it initially - even people who were really very good riders - certainly 'technically' and stylistically 'better' than us ... The horses, usually less so after an initial 'uh-huh so you do actually want me to climb up there and go down again ...'
The funniest reactions were always from people who came from what I always think of as 'rolling' countryside - they thought they were familiar with riding up and down hills but they had never met what we considered to be hills!

Those days are long past now but I'm glad to hear it applies to MTB'ers as well!
And you'll find your local riding so much easier when you get home!

First day in the Dales and our first MTB excursion. Utterly humbling! Apparently I’m nowhere near as fit as I thought and I have the bike handling skills of a hedgehog!

Personally if contfronted with a trail like that I'd either mince my way down it, and probably push, or go and find a road around it, so much respect to you for even attempting the thing...

Old jon

Guru
Sort of cloudy out there this morning. Never thought to check the forecast, I wonder why? So, extract the fixed from the shed and off I went, vaguely southwards with the intention of changing direction at Castleford.

All on roads this morning. It was tempting to ride down the riverside to Woodlesford, two options then. To Allerton Bywater passing St Aidans. Mud potential high, no thank you when riding the fixed. Ride through Oulton itself, narrow road, busy, blah, no. Through Hunslet, up to John o’ Gaunts and down the hill to the Oulton roundabout. Not much to distract me so far.

Follow the A639 through Mickletown and Methley Junction, cross Methley Bridge and turn left at the traffic lights. This road has the river on my left and Castleford to the right, the river is invisible until I reach the bridge across it on the A656. A very straight road, the OS has it as a Roman Road. Very kind of them to build it, the winners of the battle of Towton are said to have used it on the way to the fight.

It also rises a bit, on the way to Peckfield Bar, where I turned right on to the A63. Not for any great distance, the next roundabout is less than two miles away and has a left turn to Micklefield. Memory tells me this was once the A1. Going north the road went through Micklefield, Aberford, and Bramham. I do not recall that it went through Wetherby, somewhere north of Bramham it changed from a single to a dual carriageway. And went around the eastern side of Wetherby. Anyway, I rode into Aberford on it today.

And out of Aberford on Cattle Lane, for the lumpy road to Barwick in Elmet. What happened to crop circles? At one time you could hardly pick up a newspaper without reading of the things. Fields on each side of the road along here have channels carved through the crop. As if someone carrying too much beer drove a tractor randomly around each field along the way. Of course, from above they may look beautiful. Please allow me my doubts.

Barwick was quiet. Riding through Scholes a truck appeared behind me. I pulled in to a side street, truck, two cars and one cyclist went past. The cyclist stopped a bit further on, mobile to ear, I said good morning as I passed. A bit of A64 to Thorner Lane, one hundred yards and the rider passed me again. Only for another call to stop him. A very patient person.

I turned left at the Mexborough for the last climb of the morning, I thought. The A58 back to Leeds, twiddle down Boot Hill, to the warning signs that Wetherby Road is shut at the Oakwood Clock. OK, Easterly Road, travelling west, has one more hill to exercise on, and then it is easy riding to home. Thirty seven miles, 1335 climbing feet and a big grin. Mind, I was tired too.

And the garthing doodles . . .

11082021.jpg

1108elev.jpg

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Day two of the Dales! We try again! Started and ended at the wonderful Dales Bike Centre! Free parking and loos, they just suggest you eat at their cafe which was an absolute treat! Cracking coffee and a spectacular cake selection!
An 11 mile loop up and around Harkerside Moor! There was plenty of walking again but considerably more riding than yesterday! My legs feel a little stronger and my bike handling a little less tentative! Beautiful ride - felt incredibly desolate and isolated but the heather was spectacular. Spotted loads of grouse (v exciting). Highlights include my son hurtling down a rocky trail singing ‘Got the mooooves like Pidcock’ 😃
My husband pointed out over lunch that I’ve been the only woman we’ve seen riding MTB so far! I might be slow and cautious but damn it, I’m out there trying!!

13 rider

Guru

From Hawes we headed to Burtersett and climbed a bonkers trail right to the top. I basically pushed the whole way. At the top we got lost and did a loop around a ridge - beautiful views! I managed to ride a bit. The Husband fell off into a fence (luckily not barbed wire). The son fell off into a ditch of thistles! Eventually we made it to the gravel Roman road but the stones were huge and I really struggled to handle my bike! I’ve never been so delighted to see tarmac! We had epic snacks in a little cafe in Bainbridge and took a quiet lane back to Hawes!

Lovely day out despite my moaning above but really quite humbling. I have a lot to learn about off-road

View attachment 603621

View attachment 603622

View attachment 603623
You might have the handling skills of a hedgehog but out of the 3 of you who didn't crash

geocycle

Legendary Member
Day two of the Dales! We try again! Started and ended at the wonderful Dales Bike Centre! Free parking and loos, they just suggest you eat at their cafe which was an absolute treat! Cracking coffee and a spectacular cake selection!
An 11 mile loop up and around Harkerside Moor! There was plenty of walking again but considerably more riding than yesterday! My legs feel a little stronger and my bike handling a little less tentative! Beautiful ride - felt incredibly desolate and isolated but the heather was spectacular. Spotted loads of grouse (v exciting).
Wonderful pictures. Nice to know the heather is in flower and you’ve given me an idea for the weekend! I also love the Dales bike centre cafe. They used to have a showstopper cake at least each week. I admire them for getting back on their feet after flooding a couple of years ago.

Top Bottom