Small Set of mini scales recommendation for weighing coffee

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rykard

Veteran
Hi,
I've just bought an aeropress for when on holiday. Looking at all the videos it seems that to get a consistent flavour you need to ideally weigh the ingredients as you make it. Can anyone recommend a small set of accurate digital scales that won't break the bank (£15 tops?).

cheers
Rich

D

Deleted member 26715

If you type in "Drug Dealers Favourite Weighing Scales" into Google it reccomends

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/AKORD-Weighing-0-01G-100G-Batteries-Jewellery/dp/B00G6UJMS4
or at least it did for me ^_^

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Hi,
I've just bought an aeropress for when on holiday. Looking at all the videos it seems that to get a consistent flavour you need to ideally weigh the ingredients as you make it. Can anyone recommend a small set of accurate digital scales that won't break the bank (£15 tops?).

cheers
Rich
If you have the space, I'd simply take the scoop that's supplied with it. Once you know what strength you like, scooping out the same amount will be just as good for uniformity as scales would be. The water, however, might make the coffee taste different. Also the temperature of the water is another variable - I've got a kettle that I can set to heat water to 90 degrees which then switches off. It's difficult to get the same temperature without taking the kettle along with you.

Finally, even if you do everything exactly the same, coffee has a surprising ability to taste slightly different each time. I never know how my taste buds are going to interact with the ground coffee.

OldShep

Über Member
Any kitchen digital scales will do often under a tenner.
For the Aeropress you’ll quickly learn how far up that measuring spoon you like. For me it’s around 4 or 5 mm short of the top and weighs in 8 or 9 grammes.
For me it’s always inverted method and a minute of CO2 release before filling up and pressing.

D

Deleted member 26715

People don't half overthink their coffee. Whack in a couple of scoops, fill to 4, stir, deal with fussy todder, press, milk, change nappy, drink.
Is that for the toddler or the coffee?

OP
OP
R

Rykard

Veteran
think i will just use the scoop as that sounds like the simplest idea

classic33

Leg End Member
Hi,

cheers
Rich
Tesco's are selling off a digital scales for £10. How accurate do you actually need them to be?

Get a means of measuring the amount that is being weighed, then use the physical measure instead of weighing each time.

MntnMan62

Über Member
I bought an inexpensive kitchen scale on Amazon that seemed to have fairly positive reviews. I paid $17 for a digital scale that allows you to change different types of measurement and allows you to zero out what you have on the scale which is handy when adding water to your device. Once I started weighing my coffee and water so I could control the ratio of the two better, my coffee in the cup became so much better. Good luck. I'd give you the name of the one I bought but I'm in the US and Amazon seems to have different things in different countries.

Top Bottom