Smallest wheel size for turbo trainer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tommy2

Über Member
Whats the smallest wheel size anyone has used in a turbo trainer and which trainer was it?

The reason I ask is my daughter has seen me on Zwift and thought it looked cool, and I just found out the other day that you can have a free child Zwift account if you have a paid adult subscription.

I think I’m reall gonna struggle with her bike but could potentially put her on a slightly bigger bike with the seat down.

Obviously we try to get out as much as possible but as much as we’d like at the moment and ‘playing’ Zwift is preferable to watching tv.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
On a direct drive trainer in theory I think you could run anything if you were willing to be creative. For a wheel-on trainer then I know that you can go down to 20" on a Cyclops https://kidsracing.co.uk/products/cyclops-20-24-wheel-adaptor-kit-turbo-trainers-kids

The Bkool range work on a 20" wheel - however I've found that the power meter is not very accurate; which doesn't bother me as I have a separate Quarq PM, but is worth being aware of.

nickAKA

Über Member
IIRC my elite also says 20", but I guess as long as the bracket/arm that connects to the rear spindle allows the wheel to contact the roller (assuming it's wheel on) and you still have clearance between the wheel and floor you *should* be OK. There won't be too much weight/force on the roller so I doubt the change in contact angle would make much difference...
I've seen videos of kids on what look like 16" wheel bikes on zwift but it'll really depend on the trainer itself. I got my 6yo a 20" wheel bike specifically for this purpose but I think the 16" would fit, just give it a go, nothing ventured etc.

OP
OP
Tommy2

Tommy2

Über Member
Just tried a 16” wheeler on my elite volare trainer and it’s miles away from the roller, think a 20” would maybe just touch.

Top Bottom