Smart energy meters, should I/shouldn't I?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
I am seeing on twitter people who are already £2-300 in credit complaining because their direct debit has went up a lot, this has nothing to do with the price rises which you rightly say is warned well in advance, I am talking about putting customers direct debits up so they are always hundreds in credit.

I am always in credit with my supplier, OVO, and they pay my 5% for the privilege of holding my money (as long as the credit is <£1000)

I'm not complaining, try getting 5% anywhere else !

U

User6179

I am always in credit with my supplier, OVO, and they pay my 5% for the privilege of holding my money (as long as the credit is <£1000)

I was just thinking about that when I wrote the previous post but I couldn't remember what company paid interest on the balance, I am not against companies using customers balances to fund the company if it keeps prices down, seems like a good idea but Bulb are just taking the piss, luring in customers with low monthly payments then in some cases doubling those payments.

Milkfloat

An Peanut

If OVO goes bust it is not totally clear that your money is fully protected.

D

Deleted member 1258

If OVO goes bust it is not totally clear that your money is fully protected.

I'm with OVO, have been for about three years, normally I keep just enough in the account to cover the bills. Perhaps that is a question we should be asking.

D

Deleted member 26715

Bulb is pushing this big style currently, always concerns me that if it's good for them, it's likely to be bad for me, who has one/two fitted?

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I believe the energy companies are being leaned upon by Government, hence the push.
Personally I don't see the benefit to the consumer.
More accurate bills? - When I provide a meter reading isn't that accurate?
Me understanding my usage? - I have LEDs throughout the house and if I am not in a room the lighting is off. If I use electricity, there is a reason for it. I don't deliberately leave unattended grinders, heaters, etc., running.
Reducing wastage? - As I understood it, a common standard could not be agreed between suppliers, so when 1st generation meters were fitted and suppliers were changed, the meter became a dumb meter. Hmm that was cost effective! That may have changed with later generations of meters, but hardly designed to encourage participation.
The electricity company understanding my usage? - Are they seriously incapable of understanding when demands are higher? I appreciate that this may change as more battery powered devices such as cars become more common, but don't the power supply companies have and gather this information? i.e. more demands on what is commonly called off peak?
The supply company providing me with "innovative tariffs"? - Let's see. Certainly when I recently switched at the end of my tariff from the crap that is Scottish Power, nothing "innovative" was offered by the newer and cheaper supplier and the tariff offered was not dependent upon me having a smart meter.
Will it save me money? - No; not unless I change my usage habits, which a meter will not do.

On the other hand, it seems to me the supply company have a great deal of control over you. If they can read the meter, subject of course to any formal proceedings which may have to be followed, can they not switch it off?
And if the electricity used is switched by the supply company to be paid for on the basis of perceived power rather than actual power, then the cost of electricity will rise because of the smart meter. As I understand it, this is because of LEDs not using the whole of the sine wave.

lane

Veteran
Can't see any reason not to. I have them and at least you get up to date energy costs plus some fancy graphs.

lane

Veteran
That is part of the problem, and what will ultimately undermine the effectiveness of most smart meter apps. I, as the bill payer, may be anal enough to analyse the usage and work out what is the most efficient way of doing things, but what is the point when I can't even get the rest of the family to stack the dishwasher so the plates aren't touching? If they are not interested then they don't buy in, and there it falls.

Yes the kids are really concerned about global warming until it comes to taking a shorter shower or turning devices off when not in use.

Top Bottom