Smart energy meters, should I/shouldn't I?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Ho Ho!

Just had a call from OVO, my recently switched to energy supplier. They have engineers in the area at the moment for the next couple of weeks and would it be convenient to schedule a visit to fit smart meters for me?

I said no because;
  • I don't have to have them
  • I am not confident in their accuracy
  • I am waiting until an industry wide standardised unit is introduced so I do not have trouble if I want to swap suppliers in the future
He didn't disagree with any of my points and politely thanked me for my time. You would think he might have at least challenged me on the second point? :rolleyes:

swansonj

Guru
Ho Ho!

Just had a call from OVO, my recently switched to energy supplier. They have engineers in the area at the moment for the next couple of weeks and would it be convenient to schedule a visit to fit smart meters for me?

I said no because;
  • I don't have to have them
  • I am not confident in their accuracy
  • I am waiting until an industry wide standardised unit is introduced so I do not have trouble if I want to swap suppliers in the future
He didn't disagree with any of my points and politely thanked me for my time. You would think he might have at least challenged me on the second point? :rolleyes:
Yes, I would challenge you on your second point :smile:

Your third point is unassailable though. I had a smart meter fitted while I was with OVO. I have now reluctantly switched supplier to a cheaper but actually more green supplier, and my smart meter has reverted to dumb mode - I'm back to taking manual meter readings from the damn thing.

potsy

Rambler
We recently had our electricity smart meter installed, I can say with certainty that it is now costing more.

It comes with a little mobile phone sized screen thing that has to be plugged into the wall socket, costs 80p a year!!

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Having just reread all the posts in this thread I have decided there are not enough (if any) positive arguments to counter any real or theoretical negatives of having a smart meter at this point in time. I will hold out a while and see what happens. Who knows, they may even pay me to swap when they are trying to mop up the last few stragglers?
Ho ho ho...…
upload_2018-11-21_2-7-19.png

I will hold out for a while longer I think :laugh:

Our smart meter display doofer has been switched off for months.
We installed LED bulbs, saw the difference, and couldn't make things any better, so now we save the electricity that the display uses.
Plus our meter is British Gas, which probably won't talk to another provider.

Except for saving British Gas from paying meter readers, and stopping the angst of querying estimated bills, I can't see the point.

icowden

Veteran
If you are going to switch - make sure it's to a second gen Smart Meter. Lots of companies are only offering the original version which is then pretty much tied to the company that supplied it. Second gen links to a national network which means that any supplier to take over receiving the data.

Top Bottom