Smart energy meters, should I/shouldn't I?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
I'd say it's more about lack of patience than laziness. Devices on standby startup more quickly than devices that are completely off.
Of course, lots of inroads are being made into reducing the amount of standby energy used...

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Or even lights in a room they are no longer in

Yes the kids are really concerned about global warming until it comes to taking a shorter shower or turning devices off when not in use.

Amazing isn't it, my daughter is also a fervent eco-warrior, determined that her generation will save the planet, and good on her.
But when it comes to lights, heat, and unending power for the laptop, Nintendo etc, all of a sudden the truth is inconvenient. I have explained at length where electricity and clean water come from, their impact, and who pays, but she appears to ignore the chats we've had....

"Daaad, it's only electric and water, it's free, it comes in through wires and pipes for nothing and it doesn't impact the environment. It's not like I'm burning coal."
:cry:

Drago

Legendary Member
Amazing isn't it, my daughter is also a fervent eco-warrior, determined that her generation will save the planet, and good on her.
But when it comes to lights, heat, and unending power for the laptop, Nintendo etc, all of a sudden the truth is inconvenient. I have explained at length where electricity and clean water come from, their impact, and who pays, but she appears to ignore the chats we've had....

"Daaad, it's only electric and water, it's free, it comes in through wires and pipes for nothing and it doesn't impact the environment. It's not like I'm burning coal."
:cry:
Not to mention the plastics in her gadgets, made from oil, and the rare earth minerals mined at enormous environmental expense.

Every one claims to care, but few care enough to give up even the slightest modern convenience.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I'd say it's more about lack of patience than laziness. Devices on standby startup more quickly than devices that are completely off.
Of course, lots of inroads are being made into reducing the amount of standby energy used...
That’s interesting. If I turn my tv off at the wall it takes ages to reboot itself. Is standby more economical than turning it on and off.

Smart meters are about cutting off bad payers remotely, so without them having to gain entry by force.
Then inevitably they will also gain the ability to modulate power into a property by say cycling the power off and on overnight on a short cycle, to a fridge or freezer it really isn't going to matter (nor will the device care[1]) and I'll bet your supplier will know what is likely being used in any case, so if you've got a motor/heater running (washing machine or immersion) they'll be happy to bill for that usage and steal from someone else - well their potential usage.

[1] an ice cube in say a cup is a good idea in a freezer - if power has failed and the freezer then refreezes the melted ice cube acts as a warning to potentially iffy food (Steve Wright of R2 had a really bad experience of refrozen but spoiled food - ice cube is my idea).

D

Deleted member 26715

I've only been with Bulb for 7 months but have not see any encouragement to fit a smart meter, but I submit a meter reading monthly.
Maybe they are being honest & the installers are actually in our area :laugh:

snorri

Legendary Member
That’s interesting. If I turn my tv off at the wall it takes ages to reboot itself. Is standby more economical than turning it on and off.
I had hoped I was saving a little by switching off at the wall after use, but have never checked. I suppose it depends on how often the tv is used, mine often goes more than a week without being used.

DRM

Guru
npower keep asking me to have one, in January with a new plan they said I must have a meter fitted, I told them “if you fit one I'll change suppliers” not heard from them since.
They keep making appointments for us, asking to confirm the booking which I duly ignore, they’re being taken over soon so no doubt someone else will be bombarding us with requests to fit one, my gut feeling is it won’t have any benefits for us, but lots for the supplier.

keithmac

Guru
Not Smart Meter related but my wife talked me into putting our Gas and Electric on Direct Debit last year.

EDF have managed to nigh on double it in a year, just as I expected they would...

Lesson learned, back to quarterly payments for me.

D

Deleted member 26715

Not to worried about benefits to them, its negatives for me that concerns me

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom