Smart energy meters, should I/shouldn't I?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
I must look at mine for this, it could be wasting loads of energy.
I think mine is on the water temp dial, it just has an 'e' symbol at about 2 O'Clock. That's on a Worcester Bosch.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I must look at mine for this, it could be wasting loads of energy.

Yep, mines a Worcester Bosch too. It has an Eco button on it which lights up when on and therefore doesn't heat the internal tank.

My boiler takes so long to get hot water to the tap that I waste a load of (metered) water.:sad: I do collect it in the summer and use it to water plant pots outside though.
And then the unused hot water in the pipe between the boiler and tap slowly cools down and you get a double hit... can't really see a way around it other than having the pipe run as short as possible between boiler and tap (not really a solution in most homes/ones with more than one hot tap) I believe that's why most washing machines no longer have a hot and a cold fill and just have the one cold fill only...

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
And then the unused hot water in the pipe between the boiler and tap slowly cools down and you get a double hit... can't really see a way around it other than having the pipe run as short as possible between boiler and tap (not really a solution in most homes/ones with more than one hot tap) I believe that's why most washing machines no longer have a hot and a cold fill and just have the one cold fill only...
It is why I mostly wash my hands in cold water unless they are particularly rank! I can't stomach the amount of water and energy wasted getting warm water to the tap for the few seconds needed. Unfortunately my wife chooses the luxury option every time........ :sad:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
My lot refuse to accept that a switch can be used to actually turn something off.... and apparently it's illegal to own a telly or PC that's not turned on.

I can trace the path that the teenager used on returning home... Kitchen light on and heating on full so your eyes melt when you walk in.... Coatroom light on, Hallway light on, livingroom light and telly on, bathroom light on, stairs light on, upstairs landing lights on, bedroom light on.

Oh and all the doors will be open too.....meanwhile teenager is asleep or out.

and breathe.....
Mrs SJ's late mother lived with us for a few years :sad: back in the early nineties. We'd go out to work and she'd turn the thermostat up because she was cold, which is fair enough but she'd blast the thing up to about thirty degrees. When she got too hot she didn't bother turning it back down but opened the doors and windows. We'd come in the find the boiler about to melt and a howling gale blowing through the house. When she moved out our gas bills dropped like a stone.

U

User6179

Meter reader at the door for the fourth time in a year, I said I cant wait to get a smart meter and don't have to have my meter read every 3 months .
He said you wont believe this but we have been told to go into the houses with smart meters and read them as well :laugh:
What is the point of a smart meter then !
I take it they need in to check the meter is not tampered with anyway !?

classic33

Leg End Member
Meter reader at the door for the fourth time in a year, I said I cant wait to get a smart meter and don't have to have my meter read every 3 months .
He said you wont believe this but we have been told to go into the houses with smart meters and read them as well :laugh:
What is the point of a smart meter then !
I take it they need in to check the meter is not tampered with anyway !?
You on Eon by chance?

Drago

Legendary Member
As long as my solar makes my mechanical meter run backwards during then day, I shan't be upgrading.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
The bullying campaign has just stepped up a notch.....

upload_2017-7-27_17-23-36.png

The above snip from an email I just received does rather make it sound like I don't have a choice. I am still going to ignore them and try to resist any attempt to force me into accepting their version of how the world should be........

Levo-Lon

Guru
Leave it until next year..
The new meters phase2 will make changing suppliers easier.
The old New smart meters dont ..so you have to get a meter fitted again when you change supplier so more arranging and pressure sales to keep you..

classic33

Leg End Member
The bullying campaign has just stepped up a notch.....

View attachment 364574

The above snip from an email I just received does rather make it sound like I don't have a choice. I am still going to ignore them and try to resist any attempt to force me into accepting their version of how the world should be........
Which
mart meter.jpg

ofgem.gov.uk
smart meter.jpg

You can just turn round and say you don't want one. Should they phone. Carry on after that it becomes harrassment.

Agreed, and with a newer washing machine the quantity of water used probably means it will be full by the time the hot gets to it, after all they don't run the water until it comes through hot and 30/40 degree washes are the norm now.

Top Bottom