Smart lunar lights - just checking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi chaps

Following a crash, all that was, somewhat miraculoulsy, damaged was the rear bit of my Smart Lunar front light:

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/LISMLU60/smart-lunar-60-lux-front-light

I have several of these lights in various strengths and have pretty much standardised on them, apart from using the Hope Vision 1 for more country duties.

Maybe daft question, but thought I had better check.

Rather than doing some super-gluing, which may not be a long term fix, I thought I could maybe just use the back bit of one of my more humble Smart Lunars.

Is it fair to assume that the back bit on all of these various powered lamps is exactly the same?

ie: That it is effectively just a bettery holder?

And that what turns the light into a 10, 30, 35, 60 or whatever is just the small front bit with the bulb and switch?

Alltalk

Regular
Hi - I am with you on using Smart lights throughout my bikes due to the simplicity of the brackets and quality of the lights.

I use them day and night - especially rear. The R1 is my favourite although I have an R2, R2 USB rechargeable and 1/2 watts

I have a 25, 35, 60 500 USB front and a PDW 450 USB front. I tend to only use the Lunar 60, 500 & PDW 450 USB nowadays. The bracket is universal.

If I am understanding your question correctly then the "back" bit of all these lights is different strength wise - where the batteries go. That is what drives the power and light / LEDs. The snap on / twist front cover is just a reflector / lens

All the battery powered lights are interchangeable from my experience. The 25, 35, 60 front lights will fit the front snap on cover.

Similarly some 1/2 Watt, R1 and R2 will simply snap on eachother.

You must of had a serious crash if your light has been damaged like that!?

Not to worry - they are interchangeable.

Hope this has helped - cheers!

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Hi alltalk, yes I share your regard for the lights, often available cheap, nice mount, easy battery change, butvam afraid that your reply has confused me.

the "back" bit of all these lights is different strength wise - where the batteries go. That is what drives the power and light / LEDs. The snap on / twist front cover is just a reflector / lens

But then

Not to worry - they are interchangeable.

Hope this has helped - cheers!

So are there clever electronics in the back bit to regulate power delivery in some way to the front bit with the LED and lense or are they just battery holders?

The crash - pretty serious. Barmy pavement layout in brixton meant that, hard to believe as it is, i hit a highish kerb straight on (90 degrees approx) at a fair speed and fell in a heap entangled in the bike. Shorts torn as well, slight bash on forehead (good job helmet sheltered it) slight hand sprain, my wonderful old ridgeback shrugged it off - a carbon bike would quite probably have been history. Bystanders nice.

Goofball

I use this to hold my front light.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SODIAL-Uni...hts-Diameter/dp/B00H8KWKYY/ref=cm_cr-mr-title
51kvSVgAy-L.jpg

Holds well and you can use any light that fits.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Thanks for that goofball, interesting, but that's rather a separate issue.

Am interested in the electronic aspects of those Smart front lights.

Wobblers

Euthermic
Is it fair to assume that the back bit on all of these various powered lamps is exactly the same?

ie: That it is effectively just a bettery holder?

And that what turns the light into a 10, 30, 35, 60 or whatever is just the small front bit with the bulb and switch?

Commiserations on your crash.

I've a few of the Smart Lunar lights, mostly the 35 and 60 models. You're right in that the rear part is simply a battery holder for the 2 AA cells. All the electronics are contained in the front half. You can certainly swap over the Lunar 35 head with the Lunar 60 head with no issues: I've done it myself a couple of times when I've cracked the part into which the mount slides into. I imagine the other 2 AA battery models are the same (though not having looked at them can't be sure).

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Many thanks mcwobble - for answering the question :smile: after one contradictory response and another entirely off topic.

Yes, the bit that partly broke (still attached) on mine was the bit the mount slides into.

I must say it's a nice change these days, with often pointless "upgrades" and design changes, to have some continuity. Here's hoping that Smart, even if they introduce more poweful lights in the series, retain the same format. These lights can often of course be picked up cheap at Planet X.

Ps - thanks for the commiserations on the crash. No other party involved, apart from the jerk who designed a barmy bit iof road/pavement in brixton. I went staight on at a fair speed into a kerb !! Then over the top to land in a heap near a bus stop. My faithful steel Ridgeback just shrugged it off :smile:

Top Bottom