Smart Lunar R2 mode choice

your mode choice for maximum effective?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

teekay421

Choices choices - just wondering if you have a Smart Lunar R2 rear light which mode you reckon is the most effective for getting the attention of car drivers behind you?
I'm torn between the 4th setting (called disco here whihc is like very flashy then rythmn changes to a slaow pulse and then repeat, bit mixed up and could be attention grabbing) or the 5th settign, a kind of slow pulsing (almost relaxing) throb and possibly could soothe those irate road users out there?
Just wondering which will be more eye-catching and most effective?

p.s. I've got another rear light (a half watt older R1 type) which I'd have on constant and this new flash gizmo is intended to make me stand out a bit more and help my chances on the busy road I commute.

Thank you

potsy

Rambler
Disco!!

Svendo

Guru
I have my R2 on throb, less power consumption than constant, less distracting than flash, more attention grabbing than constant. Disco is very attention grabbing but possibly too much so, could cause the terget fixation effect, and also just annoy drivers. I'd also question wether it is legal, certainly not as your main or only light. Lighting regulations say or at least imply a regular flashing.
I use my R2 on throb with an RSP astrum on alternate flash (Two leds, one on and one off, alternating.) on the road bike, and with a 1 watt smart on constant on the commuter.

Shaun

Founder
When I have the option, I usually go for 1 steady + 1 flashing.

On my big fat Red Eye LD1100 I have the bottom row steady with the top row on bouncy-disco.

Davidc

Guru
Saw one in use and asked the owner what it was. Thought it was a bit crazy.

Saw one again while driving and decided I'd never have one. It was distracting, and was having the peculiar mesmerising effect of almost encouraging me to steer towards it.

I always use what I find is most effective in helping me navigate round bikes when I'm driving - and that's a bright pair of lights, one on a steady regular flash and one on constantly. Any driver who doesn't see my one or pair of Smart Lunar R1s (1 x 1w LED each) plus steady dynamo back light simply isn't looking and no amount of disco or other flash pattern will change that.

Have been looking at these and seen them for £13.99 with free delivery from Tredz, seems like a decent deal to me, anybody used this company?

Yes and so far they've always been good to deal with and quick.

Mozzy

Have been looking at these and seen them for £13.99 with free delivery from Tredz, seems like a decent deal to me, anybody used this company?

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Smart-Lunar..._medium=Product_Search&utm_campaign=Froogle02

I would insert a link but the option is greyed out for me, any ideas why? I've checked the "How do I?" section :crazy:
OK, sussed the inserting a link bit now I need to learn how to rename it.
Just type in whatever you want, say TREDZ, then highlight it, click the link box above just below the back arrow, paste in the link and whatever you wrote will be the actually link as in this one. When you highlight the word for the link the linky bit above is no longer greyed out. Hope that helps :smile:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Just type in whatever you want, say TREDZ, then highlight it, click the link box above just below the back arrow, paste in the link and whatever you wrote will be the actually link as in this one. When you highlight the word for the link the linky bit above is no longer greyed out. Hope that helps :smile:

Mozzy is a hero

It works! Thank you Mozzy :bravo:

Cubist

Still wavin'

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Smart-Lunar..._medium=Product_Search&utm_campaign=Froogle02

I would insert a link but the option is greyed out for me, any ideas why? I've checked the "How do I?" section :crazy:
OK, sussed the inserting a link bit now I need to learn how to rename it.
I was a wee bit disappointed with them. They emailed me to say they had cocked up with the stock levels and had to delay sending mine out, and six days later when I rang to find out what was happening they had forgotten to process my order. I got some profuse apologies and it was dispatched the next monday by first class, but they didn't exactly try hard to keep my business or earn any recommendations. So, unless they are significantly cheaper than anyone else, I won't go back.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I have used disco mode so far, as I have been commuting in half-light levels. I do like the throb mode though so will try it next. I have it surrounded by Tesco Micro-leds on frenetic strobe anyway.

Davidc

Guru
A small point, the law is that that lights can flash at up to a maximum of 4 times a second. Some of these lights don't comply.

I'd be surprised if anyone would get done though.

Top Bottom