Smart meters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It seems I'm getting a smart water meter soon, whether I want it or not. They're installing them in "areas where there's significant water stress".

We do have a water meter but it's not smart. The deal was that if it wasn't cheaper than the tariff we could go back to that.

It was cheaper to have the meter luckily.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
We do have a water meter but it's not smart. The deal was that if it wasn't cheaper than the tariff we could go back to that.

Ours was the same. IIRC the water company allowed two years after the installation for comparison.
We also get as part of the bill, data regarding our average daily use and how we compare with other households.

Our water meter was fitted when I moved in
It must have been pretty recent as the reading was very low

I presume it is "smart" because they have never asked for a reading or sent someone round to read it and they seem to know how much I use

however it must be over 10 years old so they must have had smart meters for water then

I have seen zero fuss about them compared to energy smart meters - which seems strange!

Our water meter was fitted when I moved in
It must have been pretty recent as the reading was very low

I presume it is "smart" because they have never asked for a reading or sent someone round to read it and they seem to know how much I use

however it must be over 10 years old so they must have had smart meters for water then

I have seen zero fuss about them compared to energy smart meters - which seems strange!

A Water smart meter just lets the water company drive by your house and take a reading, it's not actually transmitting that info to the company automatically. At least thats how mine works.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
A Water smart meter just lets the water company drive by your house and take a reading, it's not actually transmitting that info to the company automatically. At least thats how mine works.

My brother's previous house had the meter under the kitchen sink rather than out by the stopcock. I wondered how readings might be taken... i was too stupid to think of RF!!!!!

My brother's previous house had the meter under the kitchen sink rather than out by the stopcock. I wondered how readings might be taken... i was too stupid to think of RF!!!!!

Thats exactly where mine is, I only found out about the RF stuff when the water company told me they'd taken 2 already when I called with one lol

It must have a decent range - ours is at the back of the house and the front garden is 30 yards or more

never noticed them coming up the driveway but there is no saying that we could have missed them

presta

Guru
I switched to a meter 27 years ago because it's cheaper, they used to have a Solow tariff for single occupants, but that ended ~3 years ago.
They say mine will send hourly readings, whether it actually sends hourly or just reads hourly and sends in batches is not necessarily clear. They want hourly readings so that they can spot leaks.

1708695309547.png

Well I never. I've checked my online account and United Utilities tell me they read my meter last week. As it's in my garage they must be able to do it remotely.
I can't see anywhere that they've told me they can do this. I'd not have bothered contorting myself to read it for the past few years if I'd known ! Perhaps this explains why it's in such a bizarre angle to read.

dicko

Guru

Yes, ours is under the kitchen sink, ST water drive by and a bill is produced it’s always accurate.

presta

Guru
Mine was activated the day it was fitted.
It's now appeared on the web page, but the screen format doesn't seem to show much sign of enough scope to display the hourly readings it's supposed to be making. No option to download a .csv file either.
1710873858691.png

Top Bottom