Smart phone Tracking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
I am sure there was a thread last year that gave advice on tracking, but cannot find and it may not have been this type of solution that was on it.

The wife always worries when I am out on the bike, and keeps on about why can she not see where i am by looking on the PC as I peddle along (extremely fast i will have you know)

Is there program / app you can download on to a smart phone that can be tracked back home.

I currently have Windows phone but about to upgrade so options of other

I use THIS app on my Galaxy S4. It's easy to set up and I've found it very accurate so far.

I've never used it from a PC though so you'd need to check if it can do that for you.

I also have THIS app on my phone as well. I use it to scan apps with as a virus protection, but it also has a phone locating function as well.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I am sure there was a thread last year that gave advice on tracking, but cannot find and it may not have been this type of solution that was on it.

The wife always worries when I am out on the bike, and keeps on about why can she not see where i am by looking on the PC as I peddle along (extremely fast i will have you know)

Is there program / app you can download on to a smart phone that can be tracked back home.

I currently have Windows phone but about to upgrade so options of other
I think that it would create as many problems as it would solve!

Let's say you have the minor inconvenience of a puncture. You are stuck at the side of the road fixing it, but to the imagination of your worried wife it looks like you have been suddenly knocked off the road because you are not moving.

And what if you stop for a coffee, or a chat with someone? Are you going to get on the phone every time you stop, and tell her not to worry about the lack of movement?

Another problem is lack of signal. You would almost certainly lose signal in many places round here - for example, going up the Cragg Vale climb. Is that going to make her worry that your phone has been crushed in an accident because the tracking failed?

I don't think that technology is the answer to the problem - reassurance is!

OP
OP
DiddlyDodds

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident

Let's say you have the minor inconvenience of a puncture. You are stuck at the side of the road fixing it, but to the imagination of your worried wife it looks like you have been suddenly knocked off the road because you are not moving.

And what if you stop for a coffee, or a chat with someone? Are you going to get on the phone every time you stop, and tell her not to worry about the lack of movement?

!

Colin I set off at 5am Sunday mornings, there are no cars , no people and no Cafes to go in, and getting back around 9.30am i don't have time to have punctures, and with my average speed it will be hard to tell if I am moving or stopped :laugh:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Colin I set off at 5am Sunday mornings, there are no cars , no people and no Cafes to go in, and getting back around 9.30am i don't have time to have punctures, and with my average speed it will be hard to tell if I am moving or stopped :laugh:
Well, tell your wife that she deserves a lie-in, and you'll wake her up with breakfast in bed when you get back!

Another problem is lack of signal. You would almost certainly lose signal in many places round here - for example, going up the Cragg Vale climb. Is that going to make her worry that your phone has been crushed in an accident because the tracking failed?

I don't think that technology is the answer to the problem - reassurance is!

... or a call saying "get out of the pub you lazy swine and get some more miles in!"

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
your windows phone should have automatic tracking via the windowsmobile website. I used lookout on android as a find my phone app, but not sure if it did real time tracking.

Apple has a similar thing to Windows, you can set up the find my iphone service if you go for that one

albion

Guru
"7 Apr 2013 ... Browse or download Endomondo Sports Tracker, certified for Windows Phone. ... your friends can follow you live and send you peptalks in real-time. ... Time to free your endorphins!"

ScotiaLass

Guru
I have the Samsung S4.
It has a feature whereby you can set it up to send an alert to someone you choose, via email.
Once it's set up, if you get into trouble, all you do is hold the two side buttons for three seconds.
It then takes two images using the front and rear cameras and sends a GPS location and a message.
Mine says "I need help'.

Not a tracker but useful all the same.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It isn't happening in my house.

If I go out with friends from here or the club, the return estimate is dodgy, depending on important chatting at cafés.

Be late by a few minutes on a training run then trouble.

I always end up in trouble..... Ah well

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
"7 Apr 2013 ... Browse or download Endomondo Sports Tracker, certified for Windows Phone. ... your friends can follow you live and send you peptalks in real-time. ... Time to free your endorphins!"

It can be quite disconcerting when a voice starts talking to you when you are slogging across some moor on your own in the Pennines miles from civilization. :crazy::whistle:

Top Bottom