Smart plugs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
So…… my energy plan is coming to an end and I’ve had the shock of my life of what they want for a fixed rate which they can ram !! So looking at something I can switch of at night or timer type thing for bedrooms. Kids bedrooms in particular. Habit of things running away and kids either sleeping or out. Serious stuff now think £270 and then double it and still not close to what they offered as a fixed rate for even 2 yrs.

I guess you'll need an extension cable to plug all their kit into and then fit the smart plug into that. I just buy mine off amazon and they are compatible with alexa - so you can set a timer so the plug is off whenever or ask alexa to turn that bedroom off. I think most of mine are Tuya.

But the kids will probably unplug that anyway if it's affecting their lives !

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I guess you'll need an extension cable to plug all their kit into and then fit the smart plug into that. I just buy mine off amazon and they are compatible with alexa - so you can set a timer so the plug is off whenever or ask alexa to turn that bedroom off. I think most of mine are Tuya.

But the kids will probably unplug that anyway if it's affecting their lives !

Yes no doubt , however they will do it once but not again !!!

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
But smart plugs still use up energy, so whats the point??? As they are in standby mode awaiting to be woken up fully

presta

Guru
Where's your electricity going, and what are you planning to switch off? It's worth checking before you spend a lot to switch off stuff that's not going to save much.
Mine, as an example:
1657996046218.png

classic33

Leg End Member
Yes that’s a thought going through me head as well.
How much is the plug using compared to the appliance(s) that are plugged into it though.

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
How much is the plug using compared to the appliance(s) that are plugged into it though.
I’m guessing very much less than what’s plugged n like PS5,Xbox X large TVs ? The list goes on. I except a certain level of standby watts . However it would be handy to be able to kill stuff when not at home ( at work) and I know the house is empty .

However it could be a complete waste of money !

classic33

Leg End Member

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me

They will both be using minimal power as they will both be on standby……but they will still use power.

a smart plug doesnt switch off unless you physical switch it off, the same as a tv…..the onlh way to stop drawing power is to physically switch it off, otherwise you may aswell put the tv into standby mode, the same as what a smart plug would be doing.

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
They will both be using minimal power as they will both be on standby……but they will still use power.

a smart plug doesnt switch off unless you physical switch it off, the same as a tv…..the onlh way to stop drawing power is to physically switch it off, otherwise you may aswell put the tv into standby mode, the same as what a smart plug would be doing.
I mean I could just kill everything from the main switch board , however that’s just not practical ! Will grab an energy monitor and see what devices or group of devices are using , whilst in use and standby.

Make some judgments on that . I’ve got an idea where my first port of call is and that’s too try and sort out the internet devices, got a whole load of tech stuff that doesn’t need to be on over night !

Also quick google and those smart plugs use about 0.3-0.6 watts. That seems to be negligible?!

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Modern devices have very low standby power consumption. My Sony TV uses 0.5W in standby, which appears fairly typical.

Top Bottom