Smart TV's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OldShep

Über Member
My LG smart TV doesn’t have the Eurosport app or GCN and possibly many others. I don’t see that it matters though and I wouldn’t get hung up on what apps are available. The tv has a browser and the pointing mouse control is easy and can watch all these things and more using the browser.
e.g https://www.stv.tv/

Thanks. I'll have a play with myself sorry, I meant by myself🤬

Mo1959

Legendary Member
My LG smart TV doesn’t have the Eurosport app or GCN and possibly many others. I don’t see that it matters though and I wouldn’t get hung up on what apps are available. The tv has a browser and the pointing mouse control is easy and can watch all these things and more using the browser.
I think on the last promotional blurb I read on GCN it said it was coming to smart tvs soon. Hopefully while their cheap subscription offer is still on.

OldShep

Über Member
I think on the last promotional blurb I read on GCN it said it was coming to smart tvs soon. Hopefully while their cheap subscription offer is still on.
Just taken the GCN offer as our Eurosport ends in April. Works fine but not with Safari on an IPad. Needs the app on that which of course can airplay to TV So many ways these days.

Tenkaykev

Guru
e.g https://www.stv.tv/
In the video I linked to, the guy navigates to the web browser and assigns it to the "0" button on the keypad, then he just presses and holds "0" and the browser pops up onscreen.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I am definitely going for an older TV second hand when I move. I hate the idea of smart TV. I will also just rely on a DVD player with no live TV.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
For some reason YouTube disappeared from my TV & BT box a few weeks ago. Just use the Chromecast instead.

Most smart tv built in apps will disappear if they haven’t already the channel content providers have all started to stop making tv brand specific apps and instead are focusing on apps for Amazon fire stick, chromecast Apple TV etc so really all you need is a tv with the best picture quality and one or my hdmi ports for your chosen smart tv device, for me it’s fire stick 4K and roku but I also have all the others old and new

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Most smart tv built in apps will disappear if they haven’t already the channel content providers have all started to stop making tv brand specific apps and instead are focusing on apps for Amazon fire stick, chromecast Apple TV etc so really all you need is a tv with the best picture quality and one or my hdmi ports for your chosen smart tv device, for me it’s fire stick 4K and roku but I also have all the others old and new
Not sure I agree. What’s the point of paying a couple of grand for a decent tv and then having to pay for and have the inconvenience of having more gadgets to plug in to it to get full functionality. If anything the operating systems in tvs are actually getting better and more capable of doing even more?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Not sure I agree. What’s the point of paying a couple of grand for a decent tv and then having to pay for and have the inconvenience of having more gadgets to plug in to it to get full functionality. If anything the operating systems in tvs are actually getting better and more capable of doing even more?

Hope I'm not quoting out of context Mo.

I'd very much agree with this. We've had a "smart" TV for five years. It's an LG something or other. Nice picture, reasonable sound and with a sound bar connected this becomes very acceptable.

Smart though? I'd argue there is no such as a "smart" TV. My laptop and associated software is clever, it helps me do stuff I couldn't have dreamed of years ago. That's extraordinary.

Smart TV? Well the internet service is utter rubbish, slow and pointless. It still needs a remote control to make it do the most basic things such as volume control. Responsive volume control would be a brilliant innovation. Many of the installed apps no longer work, cannot be updated and new ones can't be added. The HDMI ports are positioned in such away as both Firestick and Chrome stick out of the side and have to be supported by judicious application of black electrical tape. Very smart design on that one folks.

It has eight different devices plugged in to it to make it work. Outstandingly clever!!

There is no such thing as a smart TV. We have a flat screen in the corner which receives and converts signals from a variety of sources and devices in to sound and pictures. Yes that is clever and is what John Logie Baird gave us 95 years ago.

Using my phone I can choose something I fancy watching from the web. Press a little icon on my phone screen and lo and behold it appears on my TV. Now that is both clever and smart.

I don't care provided my TV gives a reliable picture and sound but until the TV provides the services and abilities, in terms of receiving media, our phones, laptops and tablets can already offer it can hardly be considered smart.

I carry all my music on a stick and push it in to a USB port in my five-year old car. Bingo, it's all available. Hands free. That's clever. No one suggests I have a smart car or smart radio in it.

I'm afraid a "smart" TV is nothing more than marketing guff.

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Found this on the BBC website re Sony TVs - no mention of DVD players though. Fortunately remembered I had a Roku spare which seems okay for the time being

Top Bottom