Smart Watch Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
There in lies the problem. Apple do actually say you can download the App onto their watches but I don't have an iPhone!

Apple watch has been fully independent of iPhone for a good few years now. Apps can be download directly from built in app store.

OP
OP
Chislenko

Chislenko

Veteran
Ooops - sorry.

Senior moment - I knew it was the Mighty G too!

Worrying.🤣

Must admit I liked the look of the Google Pixel watch. You can download Strava to it and not have to go through a third party upload. It has built in GPS so no need to carry a phone when running.

All was looking good until I saw the one day battery life!! If it had a decent battery I would have snapped one up.

Anyone got the latest Garmin with the solar face ? Mine has a band of solar but I think it's more of a gimmick than useful to extend the battery life.

OK why is a Google owned fitbit a problem? Is it the analytics side? Don't you think apple do the analytics thing too? All wearables involve data stored in the cloud by the parent company which is available to their requirements. Why do you think apple have such a tight control on their app ecosystem? Monetisation is part of all tech firms these days and data equates to money.

It amuses me people's attitude towards one or two tech firms but a complete blindspot to their favourite tech firm whether that's apple, Samsung or other.

Dadam

No tech firm is a saint but a contrast is that Apple’s business model is about selling devices. The ecosystem and everything else is geared toward that, including the privacy aspects. Google’s is quite simply to grab all the data in the world and monetise the lot.

tcradvanced

Regular
Having spent hours looking at websites that don't answer the questions you want answering I am at a loss about smart watches.

I would like a smart watch that you can download the Strava app to and has WiFi for uploading the activity at the end as opposed to going through a third party app on your phone.

https://www.strava.com/android-wear?hl=en-GB

If you look at the link above they say it is possible but no amount of web research or talking to "web chat experts" or emailing manufacturers can find me such an animal.

Anyone got such a watch?
I’ve recently bought a Garmin Fenix 6 pro , does everything your asking for and more

DogmaStu

Apple watch has been fully independent of iPhone for a good few years now. Apps can be download directly from built in app store.

Yes. I have the Apple Watch Ultra and can make and receive calls on it, use it for my rides etc - it has its own sim.

I also have a Garmin Fenix but never use it these days despite it being a great watch in its own right.

Top Bottom