Smart Watch Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chislenko

Veteran
Having spent hours looking at websites that don't answer the questions you want answering I am at a loss about smart watches.

I would like a smart watch that you can download the Strava app to and has WiFi for uploading the activity at the end as opposed to going through a third party app on your phone.

https://www.strava.com/android-wear?hl=en-GB

If you look at the link above they say it is possible but no amount of web research or talking to "web chat experts" or emailing manufacturers can find me such an animal.

Anyone got such a watch?

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Most of the higher of the range Garmin’s do. When I click save on getting back from my morning walk, run, etc within seconds it’s uploaded to Strava to view.

OP
OP
Chislenko

Chislenko

Veteran
Most of the higher of the range Garmin’s do. When I click save on getting back from my morning walk, run, etc within seconds it’s uploaded to Strava to view.

Just "chatted" with an advisor at Garmin (looking at the Venu 2) which has WiFi but he reckons the only way you can upload to Strava is via Garmin Connect and Bluetooth 😟

Just "chatted" with an advisor at Garmin (looking at the Venu 2) which has WiFi but he reckons the only way you can upload to Strava is via Garmin Connect and Bluetooth 😟

My Garmin devices upload via WiFi to Garmin Connect as soon as I come into range of my home network. Garmin Connect then is set to pass it off to Strava, all without Bluetooth. I suspect the Garmin advisor didn’t understand the question asked ir gave you misleading information l

OP
OP
Chislenko

Chislenko

Veteran
My Garmin devices upload via WiFi to Garmin Connect as soon as I come into range of my home network. Garmin Connect then is set to pass it off to Strava, all without Bluetooth. I suspect the Garmin advisor didn’t understand the question asked ir gave you misleading information l

Is that using Garmin apps on your watch or were you able to download Strava to your watch?

Is that using Garmin apps on your watch or were you able to download Strava to your watch?

I record the activity using the appropriate inbuilt activity on the watch.e.g running or cycling. The watch is set to auto sync with Garmin Connect when on WiFi. No additional apps and no Strava required. You simply link your Garmin Connect and Strava accounts and it all happens in the cloud.

some smart watches allow you to install the Strava app, e.g the Apple Watch, and will send directly without passing through a third party.

rivers

How far can I go?
I just bought a wahoo rival and it syncs to strava via the wahoo app.
The Samsung Galaxy 5 has strava as an app available on the watch. No idea if it automatically uploads though.
Those were the two watches I looked at as they were similar in price (I nabbed the wahoo for £220 from slane cycles. The white it £200. Samsung watches are £220 from argos). I ultimately decided on the wahoo for battery life over the galaxy 5. Plus I already used bolt, so am happy with the ecosystem.

newts

Veteran
I have the galaxy watch 5 with strava app installed. Apparently it'll record independently from the phone, but I haven't used it as a standalone (always have my phone with me).

OP
OP
Chislenko

Chislenko

Veteran
I have the galaxy watch 5 with strava app installed. Apparently it'll record independently from the phone, but I haven't used it as a standalone (always have my phone with me).

Yes, Samsung do offer it but if you want to use any of the other built in stuff on the watch you have to have a Samsung phone as their watches do not talk to other makes of phone.

vickster

Legendary Member
Vickster, have looked at that in my searching, from memory they are all third party app watches.

Do you not have a Smart phone? That’s pretty unusual nowadays I think, hence that’s how the interfaces are designed to work. The companies are competing and tie people into their specific groups of products

Last edited:
Top Bottom