Smart Watch Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Chislenko

Chislenko

Veteran
Do you not have a Smart phone? That’s pretty unusual nowadays I think, hence that’s how the interfaces are designed to work. The companies are competing and tie people into their specific groups of products

Yes I have a smartphone.

However I want a watch for running. If you buy a cheap smart watch without stand alone GPS you need to carry the phone as well which rather defeats the object.

If you buy a decent watch with built in GPS then that will record in whatever app the watch manufacturer uses, then has to be Bluetoothed to a compatible phone via an app and then into Strava.

Obviously Strava on a smart phone is seemless, you finish your run, the phone connects to your house WiFi and Bob is your uncle, run is there in seconds. I just don't see why it can't be like that on a watch.

I'm not understanding your insistence on a watch with a Strava app on it?

If you buy a decent watch with built in GPS then that will record in whatever app the watch manufacturer uses, then has to be Bluetoothed to a compatible phone via an app and then into Strava.

I just bought an Amzfit watch with inbuilt gps (€40) with its own app. The app is linked to my Strava account.
The process is:
Finish the activity on the watch.
The watch syncs with the app when it's close to the phone. (I tend to leave the app running in the background. If not, I'd need to start it up)
The app syncs with Strava
I get a message telling me the activity is ready to view on Strava.
It's all done in seconds. No different to my GPS.

Yes, there's an extra step to what you have described but given that it's tech and bluetooth and wifi it makes no difference to me.

I just don't see why it can't be like that on a watch.
For much the same reason that a bike gps doesn't work like a car satnav. The unit is too small to do everything.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes I have a smartphone.

However I want a watch for running. If you buy a cheap smart watch without stand alone GPS you need to carry the phone as well which rather defeats the object.

Obviously Strava on a smart phone is seemless, you finish your run, the phone connects to your house WiFi and Bob is your uncle, run is there in seconds. I just don't see why it can't be like that on a watch.

Polar watches might do what you want?

OP
OP
Chislenko

Chislenko

Veteran
I'm not understanding your insistence on a watch with a Strava app on it?

I just bought an Amzfit watch with inbuilt gps (€40) with its own app. The app is linked to my Strava account.
The process is:
Finish the activity on the watch.
The watch syncs with the app when it's close to the phone. (I tend to leave the app running in the background. If not, I'd need to start it up)
The app syncs with Strava
I get a message telling me the activity is ready to view on Strava.
It's all done in seconds. No different to my GPS.

Yes, there's an extra step to what you have described but given that it's tech and bluetooth and wifi it makes no difference to me.

For much the same reason that a bike gps doesn't work like a car satnav. The unit is too small to do everything.

When uploading via third party apps it is done via Bluetooth. Personally I find Bluetooth very unreliable with continually having to re pair it with my cycling computer, so much so that now I just plug my cycling computer into the laptop and upload the file manually.

With regard to the watch being too small if you look at the link I posted above Strava tell us, and even show us, that is possible on watches, they just don't tell us which ones!

vickster

Legendary Member
When uploading via third party apps it is done via Bluetooth. Personally I find Bluetooth very unreliable with continually having to re pair it with my cycling computer, so much so that now I just plug my cycling computer into the laptop and upload the file manually.

With regard to the watch being too small if you look at the link I posted above Strava tell us, and even show us, that is possible on watches, they just don't tell us which ones!

Could you message the Strava help desk and ask?

OP
OP
Chislenko

Chislenko

Veteran
Could you message the Strava help desk and ask?

I did try that, they don't seem to answer these days.

However whilst people may think I am being a bit pedantic I omitted to mention the main reason why I would rather use Strava direct than the in built watch app and that is the voice prompts every half mile giving distance, time elapsed, current split pace etc. To my knowledge Strava is the only running app that offers this and personally I find it a great motivator especially if you are ahead of your usual pace, it spurs me on to try for a better time.

Obviously I am assuming that as a lot of these watches play music then they have a speaker built in and I could therefore get this information (albeit I appreciate I would probably have to wear one ear bud)

I will continue my quest to try and find something that fits the bill.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
So you are saying your Garmin uploads the run direct to Strava via WiFi without going through Bluetooth or a third party app which is the "why can't a watch be like that"

I think Strava would maybe have to make their own watch to do that? Most watches upload via something like Garmin Connect which is linked to Strava. I don’t see what’s wrong with that? I actually love all the stats I get with Garmin Connect and sometimes think about getting rid of Strava to be honest.

Jody

Stubborn git
Yes, Samsung do offer it but if you want to use any of the other built in stuff on the watch you have to have a Samsung phone as their watches do not talk to other makes of phone.

Of course they do. Samsung wouldn't limit their market like that

There are a few specific features that won't work like Samsung pay but most of what the watch can do will work on other Android devices.

OP
OP
Chislenko

Chislenko

Veteran
I think Strava would maybe have to make their own watch to do that? Most watches upload via something like Garmin Connect which is linked to Strava. I don’t see what’s wrong with that? I actually love all the stats I get with Garmin Connect and sometimes think about getting rid of Strava to be honest.

My issue Mo is the continual un pairing of Bluetooth and having to re pair that I experienced with my cycle computer, so much so that I gave up in the end and at the end of a cycling outing I connect the cycle computer via a good old fashioned data cable to the laptop and upload the ride manually.

Is that something you can do with a Garmin watch should the Bluetooth unpair? That would certainly be a failsafe option.

So you are saying your Garmin uploads the run direct to Strava via WiFi without going through Bluetooth or a third party app which is the "why can't a watch be like that"

Nearly correct. My Garmin uploads direct to Garmin Connect via WiFi, no need for Bluetooth or a third party app. My Garmin Connect and Strava accounts are linked so Garmin Connect passes it off to Strava. It therefore ends up in Strava with no need for Bluetooth or a third party app.

My issue Mo is the continual un pairing of Bluetooth and having to re pair that I experienced with my cycle computer,
I can see your reluctance to depend on Bluetooth in that circumstance.
However, my experience with Bluetooth is very different. It just works.

You don't say what phone you have, its age nor the gps unit you use and its age.
I can't help wondering if they are a factor?

I can see also the attraction in spoken prompts from the watch.

If your phone is due for an upgrade is there anything to be said for looking for some kind of "combi" watch and phone deal?

Jody

Stubborn git
My issue Mo is the continual un pairing of Bluetooth and having to re pair

However, my experience with Bluetooth is very different. It just works.

In agreeance with Hobbes. Your watch will pair automatically as soon as you are in range or when you turn BT on. It all just works with very little input.

Added features for this is the watch will tell me when my phone goes out of range (handy for not leaving it behind at someones house or in the car), using my phone to find my watch and vice versa.

The find my phone feature is so useful

Alex321

Veteran
In that case, I think there is an issue with the bluetooth on your phone.

Bluetooth is normally very reliable. My phone always pairs to my bike computer within seconds, and equally does the same with my car.

And while I have only had the turbo trainer few weeks, I have had absolutely no issues pairing that with my laptop via bluetooth.

Yes, if the watch is running iOS or Android, then it should be able to run the relevant Strava app, provided the screen is compatible.

I think the screen is likely to be the biggest issue, as I'm sure it needs a certain width/height (in pixels) to be able to run, and I suspect many smart watches don't have enough.

Top Bottom