Smartphone or sim-enabled tablet - pros and cons?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've decided that I need to get 'computing on the go'.
I've never had a smart phone as my eyesight was deteriorating as they were becoming popular, and the small screens were unusable for me.
So I still have a dumbphone and tbh it's perfectly adequate for sending/receiving text messages and phone calls.

HOWEVER due to involvement in other things it'd often be handy to be able to check online stuff a couple of times while I'm out for the day, and accessing live timetables etc would be an advantage during these strikey times. Maps, too. Also I will be leading small groups in the summer to different places by public transport and feel that increased connectivity can only be a good thing in case of an emergency

I'm still wary of a smartphone screen being 'too small' to be pleasant to use (although my eyesight is better than most people's my age now!) so am thinking I might be better with a tablet that can take a SIM card.

Pros and cons? Yes I know that a tablet will be heavier and larger than a phone ... but other than that?
Suggestions for reliable and reasonable cost? £100 - £300 is my budget.

stephec

Legendary Member
Depending on what type of things you need to look at most web pages might appear small at first, but on a phone screen you can usually zoom in on small sections of the page.

Drago

Legendary Member
I use a 4G tablet when out and about, a Galaxy Tab S6. No idea of the cost, Mrs D sorts all that out. I have a smartphone but with no feeling in 2 fingers I need the much larger screen in order to avoid all sorts or typisnf ghaurhas mdhgp ftmch.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My smart phone screen is quite big, nearly 7" (you can get similar much cheaper ones). Being short sighted i slip my glasses off, and read the screen about 6 to 10 inches away.

Its great tbh. Look at used Samsung S20FE deals, they are big and cheap now. (I had one and was dead happy with it).

I've sploshed on a Samsung S23 Ultra as the camera is incredible, but it's silly money.

tom73

Guru
2rd hand iPad mini 5th gen would fit the bill and your budget , we've got one for the van but I find i'm using it more at home than my full sized iPad.
Weight wise it's well balanced when you're holding it and it's not that heavy at Just over 470g.

Last edited:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@KnittyNorah like @fossyant said, there are some big screen smartphones to be had, plus you can always zoom in on any touch screen.
Something annoying (for me) using a tablet on the go is the cover, you need to flip it, and you need two hands to input your pass code, two hands to answer if someone calls.
I like to take my phone out of my pocket/handbag for quick checks, using one hand.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Now just about every smartphone has a large (around 6.3") or larger screen (measured diagonally) so not small any more. Try one to see if it's okay for you.
If you want a tablet there really isn't anything better than an iPad and as @tom73 says a mini would fit the bill but now unfortunately they are more expensive than the standard size so would have to be SH. I say it's the best as the OS is specifically designed for tablets and it's just a dream and intuitive to use, plus the screen is great. Android is a phone OS so fine for a phone but not so good for tablets.
Just remember you won't be able to use your iPad for calls. You can though on some Android tablets.
If you insist on an Android tablet look at the Samsung Tab A8. Whatever you do don't be tempted by the wretched Amazon Fire.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

KnittyNorah

Über Member
I am well aware of the 'large' size of mobile phones; 6 or even 7 inches diagonally is a very small screen for actually doing anything constructive and useful on. Especially when half the screen is in use as the keyboard!

In addition, all this talk about zooming in on a mobile phone's screen has reminded me of one of the (few) remaining issues with my vision post surgery. Zooming has a VERY odd effect on my vision, and it can take a few minutes for it to return to normal and to know where is what I'm looking at, whether close by or far away. Best not to zoom in on stuff unless I want to risk falling over like a drunk!

I've now realised the only advantage that a smartphone would offer me over a tablet is the ease and convenience of sending and receiving phone calls and texts, except that I don't think it would be easier or more convenient than using my dumbphone ...

A sim-enabled tablet it will be.

classic33

Leg End Member
I am well aware of the 'large' size of mobile phones; 6 or even 7 inches diagonally is a very small screen for actually doing anything constructive and useful on. Especially when half the screen is in use as the keyboard!

In addition, all this talk about zooming in on a mobile phone's screen has reminded me of one of the (few) remaining issues with my vision post surgery. Zooming has a VERY odd effect on my vision, and it can take a few minutes for it to return to normal and to know where is what I'm looking at, whether close by or far away. Best not to zoom in on stuff unless I want to risk falling over like a drunk!

I've now realised the only advantage that a smartphone would offer me over a tablet is the ease and convenience of sending and receiving phone calls and texts, except that I don't think it would be easier or more convenient than using my dumbphone ...

A sim-enabled tablet it will be.
Could you not link the tablet to your phone?

D

Deleted member 26715

Could you not link the tablet to your phone?

That was what I was about to suggest, buy a 'dumb' tablet with only WiFi & then enable the hotspot on the phone to connect the tablet, my phone is 6.5" (I think) but it's no use for me to see some stuff, when you zone in you also lose so much other information.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That's what I do, the only problem is if you're out and about as the OP says she wants to use it you have to carry two devices. A dumb phone won't have a hotspot. You could carry a small Mifi unit but there's little point as most tablets have cellular connectivity, its mainly Apple that offer the option.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

KnittyNorah

Über Member
That was what I was about to suggest, buy a 'dumb' tablet with only WiFi & then enable the hotspot on the phone to connect the tablet, my phone is 6.5" (I think) but it's no use for me to see some stuff, when you zone in you also lose so much other information.
My phone is a dumbphone hence there is no hotspot ability. The ONLY things it can do is send and receive voice calls and text messages.

Top Bottom