Smartphone recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5121161, member: 45"]Get a Moto G5. Online from John Lewis. It's all you'll need and more.
[/QUOTE]
2 year warranty as standard too :okay:

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Also at risk of derailing thread but when you look at these Sim deal with unlimited calls If I was not locked in to a landline for the internet I would switch to Mobile only for calls, such a rip off. To Get true unlimited on BT or Sky its 26.99 or 29.99 on a landline infrastructure. Then they charge you more for Data over the same infrastructure.

I monitored my Broadband for 30 days and its around 150gb a month so no way to switch. Half of that was media streaming.

For £29 more the P10 is better value than the G5 :-) https://www.gadgetsnow.com/compare-mobile-phones/Huawei-P10-Lite-vs-Moto-G5

sight-pin

Veteran
[QUOTE 5121161, member: 45"]Get a Moto G5. Online from John Lewis. It's all you'll need and more.

Then check moneysavingexpert for cheap SIM deals. Providers are falling over themselves at the moment to offer call time and data.[/QUOTE]

Tech Radar showing a £10.99 a month deal inc that phone, maybe worth a thought?
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/moto-g5

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I've had three Moto G phones and just got the G5 from Tesco online when my old one developed a fault 22 months into a 24 month contract. It seems pretty good so far. Tesco do a good deal and can cap the bill with a safety buffer so you don't go over the contractual payment by more than say £2.50 pcm if you are careless with mobile data. Buying online avoids the shop/ID thing, all they will need is your credit card details to confirm your ID. The normal monthly payment goes out by DD. Having all the family on a Tesco deal means we get family perks such as more data, minutes or similar & it is easy to use the online account system to check bills & usage.

https://www.tescomobile.com/shop/motorola/moto-g5

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Fell out with them a long time ago after the tried to stitch me up over contract pricing a few months in...and O2 were awful

I do think all mobile providers (and telco in general) are probably shysters however

My Dad went into Carphone Warehouse & ended up being sold a contract where he paid £1 per day for mobile data which he was never likely to use much at all !

Tin Pot

Guru
Yes i know i've asked before but i can't find the thread. I did end up buying a phone last year. It was only a cheap one,which i wanted just to send texts mainly. Anyway,that phone was crap! I've decided to bite the bullet and get a smartphone. I'm not interested in contracts as i went into Tesco yesterday to be met with some smart arse who found that i don't have any "photo id" amusing. Ok,my driving license is nearly 40 years old and my passport expired 2 years ago,but i thought the utility bills and stuff i took in would have been good enough. I want to buy one now,so i went into a local shop yesterday to see what they had. The bloke in there showed me a Samsung GALAXY J3 phone. It was £130,then i'd have to buy a £15 top up. I want a phone that gets me the internet and takes good pics' etc,but i don't want something complicated. Is there summat out there better than the one he showed me? By the way,they have the Samsung J3 at Amazon for 15 quid less,but i don't fancy clicking anything on that site due to the bad experiences i've had,plus i'd like t do my bit to keep a local business going. All suggestions will be welcome,but nothing too complicated for an aging technophobe please!

APPLE.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
At the risk of stating the obvious, it depends how you use it. I'm on a 3,2,1 deal with Three - 3p/min for calls, 2p/txt, and 1p/Mb for data. I probably get about three months for a tenner - I do very little texting, because most people I know are on Telegram, and I've even started using Telegram for calls.
I was spending a tenner a month on PAYG until i switched to the 321 deal with Three... it saves me a hundred quid a year :okay:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I monitored my Broadband for 30 days and its around 150gb a month so no way to switch. Half of that was media streaming.
At risk of further derailing, I think you mean "it's not straightforward" rather than "no way". Media streaming is one reason why we keep paying whatever it currently is for licensing and about £100/year maintaining hardware capable of receiving 2+Gb/hour broadcast streams... aka a satellite TV box ;)

Top Bottom