Smartphone recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
2Especially from online companies I’ve never heard of

The last 3 mobiles I had on contract have been from unknown internet based companies. No issues with either warranty or contracts and miles cheaper than anywhere else as they don't have the same overheads.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I've had three Moto G phones and just got the G5 from Tesco online when my old one developed a fault 22 months into a 24 month contract. It seems pretty good so far. Tesco do a good deal and can cap the bill with a safety buffer so you don't go over the contractual payment by more than say £2.50 pcm if you are careless with mobile data. Buying online avoids the shop/ID thing, all they will need is your credit card details to confirm your ID. The normal monthly payment goes out by DD. Having all the family on a Tesco deal means we get family perks such as more data, minutes or similar & it is easy to use the online account system to check bills & usage.

https://www.tescomobile.com/shop/motorola/moto-g5

I would agree with taking a look at Tesco. I would not say they are the "absolute best buy", but, if your financial control abilities are a bit doubtful, they have one big plus, ie, you can have a "capped" contract. How it works is: You take (say) a £7.50/month SIM only deal, you "cap" the contract at (say) £2.50/month. Once you have used up your inclusive minutes/texts/data, in any one month, you are then onto your £2.50 "buffer", when that is gone, you cannot use any more "out of allowance" services, until, the new allowance starts at the next month. A little restrictive, but, it has the big advantage that you cannot run up a large bill, you know in advance that you phone bill cannot be greater than the sum of monthly contract cost plus "cap", ie, £10/month in the example above.

You can get a Contract with just one month commitment, or, a 12 month commitment, or 24 month commitment. Prices start at £6/month, but, I would have thought that £10/month is a more realistic starting point.

https://www.tescomobile.com/shop/tesco-mobile/sim-only/tariff

You can, if you wish, on a 24 month contract, get a phone, such as the Motorola Moto, mention above, from £7.50/month

https://www.tescomobile.com/shop/motorola/moto-c-with-headphones

You can, if wish, collect Tesco Clubcard points on the expenditure too!

Finally, no, I do not work for them, no, I am not on commission. I just think they are an excellent option for (say) children, so they cannot run up bill, or, any adult who needs to keep tight control on their costs. I fund such a phone for my wayward son, no way I would have an "open" contract, on my bank account, in his hands!

I might have a Samsung Note 4 available if you want a really decent Android phone.

It's fully boxed, in great condition, has some cases with it, an extended battery and the original, and has always had a screen protector on it. Oh and it'll work on any network as well.

It's more phone than you'll ever need but it's as easy to use as any other Android phone, and any Android phone is easier than an iPhone if your not used to Apple.

Let me know if you're interested accy :okay:

Last edited:

pjd57

Veteran
I had a couple of the cheaper Samsung J models.
The main drawback is they don't have a great memory capacity . Adding SD cards doesn't help as a lot of apps etc have to go on the internal memory.
No idea why, I'm not that clued up on it.

Using a Moto G4 now , better phone but dodgy battery, which if it needs replacing is wired in , not just a pop out one.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I had a couple of the cheaper Samsung J models.
The main drawback is they don't have a great memory capacity . Adding SD cards doesn't help as a lot of apps etc have to go on the internal memory.
No idea why, I'm not that clued up on it.

Using a Moto G4 now , better phone but dodgy battery, which if it needs replacing is wired in , not just a pop out one.

Yes, that was Mrs @BoldonLad's experience, she is now on a Samsung S7, and, very happy with it.

Brother-in-Law has a Moto G, not sure of exact model, but, it has survived his rough handling, and camera is excellent. Impressive phone, for the price, IMHO.

Personally, I am an iPhone slave ;)

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
On paper, maybe, but speaking as one who's used several Motos and one Huawei, I know which I'd go for. The Huawei was the worst mobile I've ever used. Everything about it felt cheap & nasty, photos were terrible and, worst of all, it crashed constantly. A friend had lent it to me while my phone was being repaired, but it was so awful I dug out an ancient HTC Desire from the back of the drawer - what a relief!

postman

Legendary Member
In to my third year with an Microsoft Lumia 640 xl from Virgin now it's only £6-18p a month.It does allsorts but it's too clever for a numpty like me.It has a great camera i have a cycle app on it and that works well.Don't think Virgin do that model now though.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
On paper, maybe, but speaking as one who's used several Motos and one Huawei, I know which I'd go for. The Huawei was the worst mobile I've ever used. Everything about it felt cheap & nasty, photos were terrible and, worst of all, it crashed constantly. A friend had lent it to me while my phone was being repaired, but it was so awful I dug out an ancient HTC Desire from the back of the drawer - what a relief!
So far its pretty good to be honest but I am coming from an 8gb original Motorola. My main criteria was I needed Wi-Fi calling and I thought the NFC might be handy neither of which work on most of the Motorola's. Not used the payment thing yet, just thought it might come in handy if I didn't have my wallet.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I have had a Moto E for a couple of years now and pay BT £5 per month which covers everything I need.
You have to be a BT customer I think to get this deal.

vickster

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5121325, member: 259"]I wouldn't buy a Windows phone.[/QUOTE]
Indeed. I was unfortunate to have one for work once. Awful thing. Company switched to Samsung very quickly (didn't like that either as I kept swiping at the screen a la iPhone :laugh: )

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I might have a Samsung Note 4 available if you want a really decent Android phone.

It's fully boxed, in great condition, has some cases with it, an extended battery and the original, and has always had a screen protector on it. Oh and it all work on any network as well.

It's more phone than you'll ever need but it's as easy to use as any other Android phone, and any Android phone is easier than an iPhone if your not used to Apple.

Let me know if you're interested accy :okay:
How much do you want for it and does it have decent internet access?:smile:

cd365

Guru
Samsung Note 4 is a very good phone, not cheap though. If it is a good price you should bite his hand off.
I'm stuck with an iPhone 6 (work's phone), much prefer Android

Top Bottom