Smashed into a stationary car and broke off wing mirror. Ouch,ouch,ouch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I think friction-shifting a 10 speed might be a bit fiddly.

Nonsense. Piece of p1ss.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Leaving aside the only kidding, I thought that SRAM and Shimano are compatible.
If so then it gives me an upgrade option sometime in the future. For now, it works fine so I'm not touching it. And the next car I get is going to have the most amazing wing mirrors ever.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Manoeuvring between two lanes of traffic, the left lane stopped just as I was checking behind so I didn't realise in time. I clipped a stopped car's wing mirror knocking it off. The impact threw me into the road, ouch.

It was only my second time out on my new Pearson , Now You See Me, which now has a scratched Brooks saddle and leather handlebar tape, and brake hood, ouch.

The old lady in the car was a bit confused so I left my details for her and helped her prop the dangling mirror in through the window. Got the bill today. £280, ouch.

Think I might get some insurance.

Only just seen this. You should, if it's not too late, check whether you are covered by your home insurance. Many policies have a public liability cover thrown in which should cover for this sort of thing.

Hope you're OK.

I live in Epsom, so I'll keep an eye out and wave at you if I see you.

I've hit an ambulance wing mirror before while avoiding a pot hole, lost my balance then clunk! It was my shoulder, it hurt but no bruise.

I shouted sorry, the driver just chuckled and nodded "it's fine" and I was on my way. Learnt my lesson though!

Cyclist33

[QUOTE 3045433, member: 259"]Could have been much worse financially, but I presume you didn't get hurt. I wonder if this will set off a personal liability insurance thread?

To start things off, I have it, and I've had to use it. :smile:[/QUOTE]

I had it on my old home insurance policy, nothing to do with cycling or not, and have had to use it when I broke someone's car with my bike.

Cyclist33

Manoeuvring between two lanes of traffic, the left lane stopped just as I was checking behind so I didn't realise in time. I clipped a stopped car's wing mirror knocking it off. The impact threw me into the road, ouch.

It was only my second time out on my new Pearson , Now You See Me, which now has a scratched Brooks saddle and leather handlebar tape, and brake hood, ouch.

The old lady in the car was a bit confused so I left my details for her and helped her prop the dangling mirror in through the window. Got the bill today. £280, ouch.

Think I might get some insurance.

Call Cycle Touring Club - I'm sure they're lawyers could not only get you off, but also take the old lady's savings and pension for the rest of her life, as well as getting her a minimum 16 years in jail for dangerous driving and attempted murder.

midlife

Guru
Better still, get Massingbird on the he case :smile:

Blackadder: I remember Massingbird's most famous case: the Case of the Bloody Knife. A man was found next to a murdered body. He had the knife in his hand. 13 witnesses had seen him stab the victim. And when the police arrived, he said "I'm glad I killed the bastard." Massingbird not only got him off; he got him knighted in the New Year's Honours List. And the relatives of the victim had to pay to wash the blood out of his jacket

S.Giles

A couple of years ago, I went out for a bike ride in a public place and my head was badly damaged by a negligent driver. Their insurer has claimed that I share 25% liability because I was not wearing a helmet, and so there was contributory negligence on my part.

So, damage to an unprotected (expensive) rear view mirror is the sole responsibility of the person causing the damage, but damage to a person's unprotected head isn't!

The point I'm trying to make is that there is a large (moral, and possibly legal) grey area in this argument. If someone parks their museum-grade vintage Ferrari where I may accidentally damage it, has not my financial well-being been jeopardised to some degree by that person? Is it reasonable to compel me to take on that risk as I walk (or ride) past it? There aren't easy answers to this sort of question, hence the deadlock of the last eleven pages!

British Cycling Ride membership gives you 3rd party liability, £32 for a year (and legal cover if you get knocked off, Halfords & Wiggle discount etc)

GWS lovely Pearson bike :smile: and hip

+1 for BC it`s worth it for the peace of mind, your covered if you need it and can save more than it costs with the discounts

'Ditto'

British Cycling 'Silver' membership here too

I'll admit to preaching slightly, at work too
I work in a fairly busy Hospital, & when I see cyclists brought in, after a RTCs/falls, after the initial enquiries about how the bike is, I'll ask about insurance

If in the negative, I'll explain the benefits of CTC/BC membership, & from both sides of the fence; as the 'IP', & the 'OP'

Digressing slightly (sorry!)
Still get the odd stroppy sod on a 'bso', who wants to sue the driver who knocked them off, broke their leg, flattened the bike
Despite; no light, no reflectors, wearing a hood up, pedalling through a red-light... on the phone

They simply won't believe that the most desperate 'no win, no fee, no self-respect, ambulance chasing lawyer' won't get them a penny - not until the Police officer who comes to interview them, lays it on the line, that the motorist wants money from them:laugh:

Top Bottom