Smashed into a stationary car and broke off wing mirror. Ouch,ouch,ouch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Not strange, just personal. There are plenty of car drivers who can't believe the idea of spending £3k+ on a bicycle.

No, actually he has a point.

The mirrors weren't "worth" £600. They were that much because of a very limited supply and a very high demand.

We just come back to living in a capitalist society. It is what it is.

KneesUp

Guru
So does that make you smarter? I am yet to meet a honest person who would not like a better car.

I have no idea.

It means when I needed a car the car before this one I only had £700 spare, and when I needed a car to replace that one because it was written off for me, the insurance company gave me a cheque for £1200.

I don't think you can make any inference as to my intellect from that though, although one might assume that if I were cleverer, less averse to borrowing money to spend on depreciating assets, more ruthless or better at football I might have had rather more than £700 to hand I suppose.

What was your point though?

Incidentally, I don't know what you mean be "a better car" - I've done more expensive, I've done fast, I've done small, I've done slow, and I've done large. And actually, all that matters is can I fit the camping stuff in, is it reliable, does it cost a fortune (total ownership), is everyone comfortable and does the air conditioning work. Beyond that I've discovered that not much truly matters, although the fast ones were more fun on quiet Scottish roads - but as I live in Yorkshire that's not a massive consideration.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
So does that make you smarter? I am yet to meet a honest person who would not like a better car.

I'm not fussed about a better car - and if I won the lotto I'd not replace it till it conks out to be honest.
(£2500 Saab - though I dare say first owner dropped £30k on it, which does give me a smug feeling)

PK99

Legendary Member
£280! That's absurd. .

Door mirrors are a lot more than a mirror in a bit of plastic
mirror
indicator
heater
motorised adjuster
motorised "folder"

http://www.lingshondaparts.com/hpl/images_car/17SMG601/imge/B__4300.jpg

plus of course the labour at ??£100/hour?? to fit the replacement. the honda civic mirror shown above needs the interior door panel removed to replace the mirror.

Replacing a bit like that on a car is like replacing the chainset on a bike - hugely expensive compared to the cost on a new bike

PK99

Legendary Member
As you say, it's a peripheral, and one of the parts most frequently damaged in minor incidents. It ought to be cheap and simply replaceable. A bicycle wheel is not comparable, even before you get to the issue that drivers should not be getting anywhere near close enough to cyclists to risk damaging their wheels.

Evidence to support that assertion? In most minor accidents (where the impact is from the front) the mirror works as intended and folds safely away, in the case in question the careless cyclist hit the mirror from behind.

i my experince, "wing mirror clashes" in slow moving traffic, with a car passing either direction who gets too close has never resulted in damage as one or other mirror folds or springs.

:popcorn:

screenman

Legendary Member
Evidence to support that assertion? In most minor accidents (where the impact is from the front) the mirror works as intended and folds safely away, in the case in question the careless cyclist hit the mirror from behind.

i my experince, "wing mirror clashes" in slow moving traffic, with a car passing either direction who gets too close has never resulted in damage as one or other mirror folds or springs.
My thoughts as well, does theclaud own a car?

screenman

Legendary Member
I don't want a better car.
Got rid of a BMW 3 series cos it was crap. Bought a Suzuki Swift cos it's cheap, frugal, practical and fun.
I've got better things in life to spend my money on. My priorities changed.
Does that mean I'm not honest?

No that means you do not have as much money as you would like. Maybe you had a crap BMW rather than BMW are crap.

KneesUp

Guru

theclaud

Openly Marxist
My thoughts as well, does theclaud own a car?

Haven't we been through this before? I don't intend ever to own a car again. Not least because car ownership appears to be detrimental to thinking straight. I drive a sprinter/transit for work, but not on an everyday basis. The mirrors are not fancy.

Top Bottom