Smelling of roses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I've recently made a complaint against an organisation (who shall remain nameless) over a data protection breach regarding myself and some personal medical data.

I complained directly to the organisation, and got nowhere. Angrier than Dr David Banner after stubbing his toe I raised the matter with the Information Commissioners Office. The ICO have been investigating, and after several months of hearing nothing I've just had an email back confirming that the organisation concerned had acted unlawfully.

So a letter is on its way and it's now official that they broke the law.

Tomorrow I'm going to contact them and give them a choice - make me a quick and dirty compensation offer now, of I'll go to a no win no fee solicitor and it'll drag on for ages, and they'll likely have to pay legal fees too when the court hears that they had the opportunity to resolve the matter quickly and cheaply and didn't.

I'm hoping they'll see sense and make me a quick low ball offer, but I'm still on cloud nine at standing up to a big faceless organisation who didn't care less and facing them down. Ha!

So I'm on a roll. If you have any terrorists that need taking down, damsels than need rescuing, or crocodiles that need castrating, then I'm your man.

Daddy Pig

Veteran
Don't forget to mention going to the papers... Push up the claim to gain a bit!

I suppose that is what is wrong with today's world. You have made your point, proved you were correct, can't you be satisfied with that or has compensation been the main driver in your complaint?

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
No, I cant be satisfied.

They distributed personal medical information to people who were not entitled to receive it. Medical data is classed as 'sensitive', which makes it an aggravating factor. That was flaming unpleasant and upsetting.

However, if theyd acknowledged me and apologised when I tried to resolve the matter informally I'd have left it at that. They refused to acknowledge that theyd even broken the law - well, they had the chance to resolve the matter the common sense way and declined to engage, so now they can have a more substantial lesson to educate them.

The choice was theirs not to resolve the matter in a gentlemanly matter when they had the chance, not mine.

That's the game that they chose to play, so I won't accept any whinging that they chose to play and lost. The next person they try to walk over might be vulnerable or elderly and not so well equipped to stand up for themselves.

I tell you what is wrong with today's world - that organisations wont learn a lesson until someone kicks them in the bottom line.

Last edited:

Daddy Pig

Veteran
No, I cant be satisfied.

They distributed personal medical information to people who were not entitled to receive it. Medical data is classed as 'sensitive', which makes it an aggravating factor. That was flaming unpleasant and upsetting.

However, if theyd acknowledged me and apologised when I tried to resolve the matter informally I'd have left it at that. They refused to acknowledge that theyd even broken the law - well, they had the chance to resolve the matter the common sense way so now they can have a more substantial lesson to educate them.

The choice was theirs not to resolve the matter in a gentlemanly matter when they had the chance, not mine.
Especially as it was about a toy car and a bum hole (so I've heard...) :ohmy:

Daddy Pig

Veteran
I mean, how youd you like details of your bum grapes on page 1 of the Express? ;)
Pictures or it never happened...

I mean, how would you like details of your bum grapes on page 1 of the Express? ;)
upload_2019-1-17_18-41-48.jpeg

tom73

Guru
More power to you @Drago. Companies have to learn that if they are the data game it comes with a duty to look after it.

I am one of many who not too long ago had credit file stuff hacked due to the Experian data breach.I’m carful about my data and who get’s it but it’s not like I have choice on this one that was the most annoying part of it.

4 months before we got to know truned out our data was being sent to USA for processing. Given 3 options to monitor my file I phoned to sort it turned out to be a overseas call centre told never mind what letter said I had to do it online. I told her that’s what got me in into this mess. She held her ground but so did I. I won next day at agreed time a nice guy from the Uk office sorted it in less than 10 mins. So now if anyone so much as get within a mile of my file I know about. It now means my file is flagged though so some credit checks now take longer which is a pain.

Good luck

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Right, Googling around the topic minor data breaches which cause upset and distress typically when £2500 to £8000 in court. I'm going to offer them a choice of a quick no hassle payment of £1000, which I'll donate to charity (I dont need the cash and a bag of sand isnt going to change my lifestyle) or do it the painful way and ay a lot more. No ifs, no buts, no negotiations - a gee and it ends today.

I'm not hopeful. They failed to do the sensible thing in the first place which would have avoided this entire scenario to begin with. I'm not especially hopeful that they'll have had a sudden outbreak of common sense, but we'll see.

Top Bottom