SMIDSY becoming enshrined in law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I read somewhere that the very largest artics have a "blind spot" that extends a whopping five metres in front of the cab.
If that is so, plonking yourself in Primary in front of one might not be a healthy option.

Recycler

From where? Are you going to ring the coroner or the magistrate?

Here in London there is a problem with cyclists and lorries. Cycle and Driver training is part of the equation, but surely having huge vehicles with large blind spots mixing it with cyclists and pedestrians at close quarters must be rectified. Especially since the equipment to greatly aid elimination of blind spots is readily available and not very expensive.

On a related note, the fact that many of the vehicles appear to have defects which make matters worse, or that sometimes the drivers are unfit to drive, and that 13% of drivers are uninsured on London roads means that we really need to start making sure those vehicles on our roads in a fit state and controlled by capable people. The numbers indicate that there is an ingrained problem and there appears to be a lack of will to rectify.

I haven't lived in London for years but, from what I have seen and read, there has been a massive increase in cycling over the last 20 years and there undoubtedly are problems which need resolving. One of the solutions is that cyclists should enter the blind spot with care.

From my different perspective of riding around the urban and rural roads of the West Country I would say that my biggest concern are cars (4X4's in particular) and Vans. HGV's are a concern but I find that, in relative terms, they are less so.

PK99

Legendary Member
In some cases that is the case, but I have seen (and experienced) all too many cases where the HGV overtakes a cycits wiating at a junction, and placing the cyclists at risk through no fault of their own

If the cyclist has stopped hard left against the kerb - it IS their fault. See cyclecraft.

PK99

Legendary Member
I read somewhere that the very largest artics have a "blind spot" that extends a whopping five metres in front of the cab.
If that is so, plonking yourself in Primary in front of one might not be a healthy option.

doing so after the arctic has stopped would indeed be a foolish thing to do - do not pass, stop behind in Primary Position

Alun

Guru
From where? Are you going to ring the coroner or the magistrate?

Here in London there is a problem with cyclists and lorries. Cycle and Driver training is part of the equation, but surely having huge vehicles with large blind spots mixing it with cyclists and pedestrians at close quarters must be rectified. Especially since the equipment to greatly aid elimination of blind spots is readily available and not very expensive.

On a related note, the fact that many of the vehicles appear to have defects which make matters worse, or that sometimes the drivers are unfit to drive, and that 13% of drivers are uninsured on London roads means that we really need to start making sure those vehicles on our roads in a fit state and controlled by capable people. The numbers indicate that there is an ingrained problem and there appears to be a lack of will to rectify.
I'm not going to ring either of them, but according to Ross Lydall's Twatter A/C "Sienna Millar has been attacked by a giant fox" so forgive me if I wait for confirmation.

OP
OP
D

dawesome

He's talking about this rather silly photo in today's Standard:

07foxsiena.jpg

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/...foxes-plaguing-celebrity-enclave-7831166.html

OP
OP
D

dawesome

Clearly a misrepresentation,that's why I don't automatically believe what I read on Twitter.

What are you disputing?

Alun

Guru
What are you disputing?
I'm just supporting Recycler when he says" I didn't know that the Evening Standard and twitter were now regarded as being reliable sources of forensic evidence. I'll wait until some reliable information is available."
It's a tragic incident, but let's wait until we know what happened !

OP
OP
D

dawesome

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
If the lorry was indicating right and then turned left (as in the report) then the cyclist would have though it ok to filter up the inside.
If the advice now is ignore the indicators on a HGV and assume that it is turning left then what help is there for all the other road users
When I took my driving test and when I trained as a Bikeability Instructor, the advice was to ignore any indicators and be prepared for the vehicle to turn in any direction. That may not make me the quickest driver/cyclist, but it has kept me safe from drivers who; haven't cancelled their indicators, are pulling in to stop just after a junction, can't be arsed to signal, etc, etc.

Recycler

Let's try a multiple choice question

1. You know that filtering on the left of HGV's is potentially dangerous
2. You know that many HGV's are not in the best of condition
3. You know that most HGV's don't have CCTV or alarms covering their blind spot.
4. You know that some HGV's don't have all the mirrors they should.
5. You know that the Highway Code advises against left filtering
6. ditto Cyclecraft.
7. You know that 40 tons of HGV is likely to do you a bit of damage it it gets too close to you.
8. You know that drivers get things wrong sometimes.

The multiple choice question.....
Is it wise to filter to the left of an HGV.
a. Yes
b. No
c. Don't know

lukesdad

Let's try a multiple choice question

1. You know that filtering on the left of HGV's is potentially dangerous
2. You know that many HGV's are not in the best of condition
3. You know that most HGV's don't have CCTV or alarms covering their blind spot.
4. You know that some HGV's don't have all the mirrors they should.
5. You know that the Highway Code advises against left filtering
6. ditto Cyclecraft.
7. You know that 40 tons of HGV is likely to do you a bit of damage it it gets too close to you.
8. You know that drivers get things wrong sometimes.

a. Yes
b. No
c. Don't know
Hammer,nail, head.

Dan B

Disengaged member
a. Yes
b. No
c. Don't know
(b), as a rule. Question 2: is a lack of wisdom in this regard reasonable justification for being killed on the road? If so, why do we not apply the same standards in matters of e.g. household electrical safety? Would save an awful lot of money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom