SMIDSY becoming enshrined in law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Recycler

I thought recycler's cynical sarcasm was misplaced, and I've demonstrated it was also unjustified,

Sarcasm? Most certainly.
Cynical? Most certainly not.

Nobody here is saying that the death of a cyclist, or indeed any other road user, is anything other than tragic. But for somebody to be trying to make a case based on the Evening Standard, Twitter and now, of all things, the Huffington Post is laughable.

The simple fact is that we don't know the facts. The police and CPS have far more information than we do and, until the Inquest and any other Court case is held, then that information will not be in the public domain and it seems to be pointless trying to hold an internet inquest in anticipation of the proper Inquest which is taking place next week.

With regards your boast that you have demonstrated that my comments are unjustified....I missed that bit. Where is it? Somewhere on Twitter perhaps?

Dan B

Disengaged member
Sorry, that was two questions. But you can skip the second one if you answer 'no' to the first

OP
OP
D

dawesome

But for somebody to be trying to make a case based on the Evening Standard, Twitter and now, of all things, the Huffington Post is laughable.

Why is it laughable? Ross Lydall has done some pretty good reporting on cycling in London, I trust his opinion. I also linked to the original charges, referenced in the Huffington Post, not known for inaccuracies. Also here:

http://www.hackneygazette.co.uk/new...g_cyclist_death_at_dalston_junction_1_1011475

Simon Weatherley, 52, is accused of driving a goods vehicle without the required mirrors.

What are you saying is laughable?

Recycler

(b), as a rule. Question 2: is a lack of wisdom in this regard reasonable justification for being killed on the road? If so, why do we not apply the same standards in matters of e.g. household electrical safety? Would save an awful lot of money

I'm not quite sure what point or question you are making.
However, I am not saying that anything justifies people being killed on the roads but I am saying that. in general, cyclists could do more to ensure their own safety. Being unwise/foolish/reckless is certainly not likely to help us.

Sorry, I don't understand the point about electrical safety. I'm not sure what you are getting at.

lukesdad

(b), as a rule. Question 2: is a lack of wisdom in this regard reasonable justification for being killed on the road? If so, why do we not apply the same standards in matters of e.g. household electrical safety? Would save an awful lot of money

Yes^^^, care to expand on your second point ?

Recycler

What are you saying is laughable?

I'm saying that quoting opinion and conjecture, apparantly as forensically proven fact, is laughable. All the more so whan the Inquest is to be held in just a few days and more information should then be available in the public domain. At the moment you are tilting at windmills and, other than getting it off your chest, it is pretty pointless.

OP
OP
D

dawesome

I'm saying that quoting opinion and conjecture, apparantly as forensically proven fact, is laughable. .

I agree. That's why I haven't done it. WTF are you talking about?

Recycler

I agree. That's why I haven't done it. WTF are you talking about?

I'm pretty sure that others understand the point. If you don't, or more likely can't, then there is no point in explaining it any further.

I would sincerly advise that you don't filter on the left without exercising great care but, if you want to ignore my advice, I would certainly defend your right to do so.

If the cyclist has stopped hard left against the kerb - it IS their fault. See cyclecraft.

The last incident I had was at a set of lights.

I was in primary on the inside lane about 50 yards from the crossroads and at the end of a queue of vehicles.. HGV pulled alongside in the outside lane and then as the traffic progressed "left hooked" to the junction.

Absolutely nothing I could do.

Lets get this right...

Cycle craft is NOT the "bible" of cycling, nor is its existence even known of by the vast majority of cyclists.

Quoting Cyclecraft is an irrelevant red herring.

Even when you have cyclists who are aware of the primary it is not always possible to achieve, even less so if the cyclist is new, or inexperienced.

Let's try a multiple choice question

1. You know that filtering on the left of HGV's is potentially dangerous
2. You know that many HGV's are not in the best of condition
3. You know that most HGV's don't have CCTV or alarms covering their blind spot.
4. You know that some HGV's don't have all the mirrors they should.
5. You know that the Highway Code advises against left filtering
6. ditto Cyclecraft.
7. You know that 40 tons of HGV is likely to do you a bit of damage it it gets too close to you.
8. You know that drivers get things wrong sometimes.

The multiple choice question.....
Is it wise to filter to the left of an HGV.
a. Yes
b. No
c. Don't know

Again the point is that as an experienced cyclist YOU know, but does the average BSO rider?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
The last incident I had was at a set of lights.

I was in primary on the inside lane about 50 yards from the crossroads and at the end of a queue of vehicles.. HGV pulled alongside in the outside lane and then as the traffic progressed "left hooked" to the junction.

Absolutely nothing I could do.

I believe you, but please could you put up the video, else Recycler and company won't believe you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom