SMIDSY - mea culpa

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Went for a ride early yesterday. I was riding on a track in the shade of trees and went through a subway. Coming through in the opposite direction was another cyclist who I nearly hit, he had to swerve, - and then I said the dreaded words, SMIDSY.

My fault, I was wearing sunglasses and the contrast between light and dark meant I was going through almost blind. I must learn to take more care, and also change the lenses to something lighter, yellow or orange, for the winter in these conditions.

Slick

Guru
Lol, live and learn. Just because we are vulnerable road users doesn't mean we are perfect. At least you acknowledged your error.

Reactions: C R

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
On the rare occasions that we need sun glasses here, I put mine on top of my head before riding through a dark area.
If there's already a helmet on your head, you could try them strings for glasses?
I know of a rider that left his sun glasses on riding through the Clyde Tunnel.
result, a broken arm, months off the bike.

On the rare occasions that we need sun glasses here, I put mine on top of my head before riding through a dark area.
If there's already a helmet on your head, you could try them strings for glasses?
Pat, Pat, Pat...

You really really know someone in Scotland who wears sunglasses?

What next? Flying pigs? Sunstroke?

OK, I admit I sometimes wear them on Saturdays, but only in discotheques.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Never wear sunglasses myself, rely on the helmet peak for shade. Although I did ride into work one very cold damp morning and got laughed at when I told my colleagues I had frost on my peak.

These are superb. You can hear them a mile away, and they are particularly effective in subways.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Cycling off to an early breakfast this morning I nearly missed a bike coming towards me in the dark.

He only had a small blinky RED flashing light on his bars and I didn't register straightaway that he was not going away from me !

OP
OP
Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails

We remember

I have sports sunglasses with a prescription insert that allow you to flip up the shaded lenses and see just through the clear lenses.

So quick and easy to do and I shall try not be so complacent, but do it in future in similar changing light/dark conditions.

My fault, I was wearing sunglasses and the contrast between light and dark meant I was going through almost blind. I must learn to take more care, and also change the lenses to something lighter, yellow or orange, for the winter in these conditions.
Quite surprising how many I see, out & about, still in dark glasses, even before it's fully light
(I wear light yellow all year round)

Top Bottom