SMIDSY on a dual carriageway

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
Now this is 3rd hand but thought I would share as I was shocked. Someone I know of was hit on a dual carriageway by a HGV, it didn't see him, luckily he bounced on his head and fell away from the HGV and survived with a few scrapes.

One of the questions the police asked him was why he wasn't on the cycle path, which to my mind is irrelevant. He answered and said its because its full of glass and you have to cross pavements etc. Should this even be asked though?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
There's always some stupid 'ker that will ask a question like that. It's a bit like "Shouldn't your friend have left 5 minutes later, then he wouldn't have been hit by the lorry." It's victim blaming bullsh1t, and I'd immediately complain about being treated like that.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Grim. Please keep us updated with this. If I was him, I'd be writing to the police management at that question.

lit

The police have no business asking him that question, they aren't compulsory and i'd be asking them, why is that relevant.

What's relevant and their duty to investigate is poor driving and possible attitude from the HGV "Driver".

ohnovino

Large Member
Depends how the question was asked.

If a non-cyling copper didn't understand why a cyclist would choose the road instead of the cyclepath, asked the question (without ever suggesting the cyclist shouldn't have been on the road) and now understands, then I don't see a problem.

If the policeman was implying the cyclist brought it on himself by being on the road then he's out of order.

davefb

Guru
bah, why wasnt the hgv on a motorway?

fwiw, there is a local dual carraigeway which (rather than spend $$$ upgrading) they banned cyclists AND reduced mph from 70 to 50.. I see the odd one being suicidal, but most avoid it... no cyclepath, you have to take other generally parallel routes...

Recycler

Depends how the question was asked.

If a non-cyling copper didn't understand why a cyclist would choose the road instead of the cyclepath, asked the question (without ever suggesting the cyclist shouldn't have been on the road) and now understands, then I don't see a problem.

If the policeman was implying the cyclist brought it on himself by being on the road then he's out of order.

I totally agree with that. If plod was simply seeking information (and they do need to investigate accidents) then he was doing his job. If he was blaming the victim then he should be shot.
Without more information it's unfair to criticise the police on this one.

OP
OP
Inertia

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
I don't know the guy but will try to keep up to date on it. I think I have to give the benefit of the doubt but think its still a stupid question, he shouldn't have to justify being on the road.

Id like to think I would have queried the question if i was in that situation but can imagine having just had the scare of my life, I would be too shook up to argue.

Its totally irrelevant

Do a search on Dainel Cadden.

Something similar was attempted on him, but was totally exonerated on appeal

Top Bottom