Smoking. A lifetime addiction?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Having smoked my first cigarette at around 10/11 years old I eventually progressed to being a 'proper' smoker by the time I left secondary education. I ended up doing around 20 a day until I finally managed to quit around 2001, after many failed attempts I might add.

Never the less, despite having no issues day to day and month to month, times of stress in my life have seen me relapse on occasion, but luckily I've been able to nip it in the bud, pretty quickly.

I'm in agreement with myself these days that $hit happens and if a slight relapse helps me through what ever the issue is then I'm not going to beat myself about it.

That said nothing significant has happened in my life since I was diagnosd with hypertension, so I am hoping that having HBP will be enough to keep me on the straight and narrow when life does through me another curveball.

However, despite hating the way smoking makes you smell in general I will always love the smell of a freshly lit cigarette, I doubt that will ever leave me now.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I gave up my 20 a day habit over 30 years ago and havent smoked a thing since.
All it took was a bit of willpower.
Could I start again?
Easily!

Levo-Lon

Guru
Been a on off smoker all my life.
Started at 7 and was a full timer by 11.
15, 20 a day
Gave up at 19,back on it at 21, on off every few years.
I can go for years without and not bother.
Severe shock events have made me just go and buy a rolling bacci kit..and ill smoke for a few days.
Then i can have a night out with smokers after a few beers i sometimes have a smoke ,then next day carry on as a none smoker.

Im a cold turkey type so after 2-3 days the craving is all in the mind.
I hate the smell of fags on people after they have just smoked..and any ciggie smell in a house or car.

Not had any for a while and i dont miss it

Heigue'r

Veteran
I had a 50 a day benson&hedges gold habit for many years.Smoked my last cigerette on new years eve 2015.I went the vaping route and it worked for me.Still keep a vape tank about but havnt touched or thought about having one since.Health eas the main incentive to give up but the financial side of it is a pretty good bonus...just coming up to £16000 avoided being spent on cigs in under 2yrs.

postman

Legendary Member
I smoked on the sly as a schoolboy,ten Cadet ciggies.But as a sufferer of Asthma until late in to my teens it was totally stupid.I tried again after joining Royal Mail just to be in with the lads.But i never liked them then.What i do fancy is a pipe,but Mrs Postman is a non smoker and ponging the house out not to mention the clothes it's a no no.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Never think about it until someone mentions it...

lovely-fags.jpg

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Nigh on 7 years since I last smoked and it feels it ! I still miss it some days for no good reason and occasionally someone else smoking smells as tempting as other peoples chips! The rest of time its smells dreadful.
I was a pretty heavy smoker and have an addictive personality, luckily this is tempered by the fact of when I give stuff up I stay given up easily.
Staying off the baccy has been made a lot easier by the insane prices nowadays, you can buy proper drugs at those prices ! /S

Nicotine is a sneaky bugger , its addictive action affects the back brain areas well away from the conscious parts. Only about 1 in 3 people who smoke become physically addictive, those are the ones like me who could happily chain smoke. The rest of them only have to battle the psychological side of giving up ..... only lol

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Never had even a puff in my life, although I am drawn to cigar conditioning rooms.

Cigarettes are like ferrets, no problem at all, until you stick one in your mouth and set fire to it
I realise that they do odd things in Shipley, but that's a new one.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I gave up 20 years ago, but I quite often have dreams in which I am confidently smoking the occasional cigarette and then feeling disappointed with myself. It's always a relief to realise it was only a dream. I couldn't afford to smoke now, even if I wanted to. Which I don't.

I remember Lambert & Butler fags when they came out 48p for 20.

I was a Embassy Filter lover but I think premium cigs are over 9 quid now..

Roll ups were the only way for me , i don't like filter cigs but would put a tip in a roll up.

I hate to think what I've wasted on cigs.
I'd think a nice little house if I bought it 40 years ago

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I smoke about 11-12 a day. I don't smoke indoors and I don't like being in the homes of people who do, but I enjoy them and have no intention of giving up. I'll take my chances on whatever they may or may not bring.

Top Bottom