Smoking. A lifetime addiction?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I decided to stop so I stopped. I used to miss it a bit - I'd always liked smoking - and for a while I used to very occasionally bum fags off my sis or smoking friends. Just for the evening. I never felt any inclination to light up again the next day. After a few years even that went away. I really have no desire to smoke now, at all. So I'd say no - it doesn't have to be a lifetime addiction, despite what they used to say about once a smoker always a smoker (even if you no longer smoke).

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
10 years. The kids were my motivation. Cold turkey worked for me having previously failed using gum or trying to cut down. Had a few minor alcohol induced relapses in the first couple of years, but now don't even feel the urge after a drink.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Started when I was 13 and it grew to a 40-a-day habit. Moved from cigarettes to cigars thinking I'd smoke less and ended up smoking 40 small cigars a day. Tried to stop on a number of occasions but when my wife was diagnosed with emphysema I kicked a 27 year addiction within a fortnight.

Unfortunately the weight piled on so I went to a gym then bought a bike. Now I'm here and thankfully, so's the wife.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
My Mum smoked for 45 years, and quit it when she was about 65. I think it was mainly having a small lung cancer cut out that scared her into quitting. But the willpower it must have taken for her to quit must have been considerable.

lutonloony

Über Member
Mrs LL announced we were both giving up when the backie ran out. I did she didn't, doesn't really worry me, although I was more of a social smoker than a 20/day. Prior to that I used to give up every time I went to bed, it was easy

Drago

Legendary Member
I quit in 2011. Had a year where I might cadge the occasional fag, or smoke a cigar at christenings etc, but since then nothing. Not even been tempted. I'm 100% over the habit. I didn't find it especially painful or difficult, but I really really wanted to give up this time, so had the right mindset.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I quit in February 2013, shortly after Mum died an unpleasant death as a result of 30 Rothmans a day. It was my 6th attempt, and I started cycling at about the same time as I wanted a measure of improving health. Spent the best part of the next 2 years in and out of hospital, unable to walk for weeks at a time. Thankfully SWMBO found great Dr so now mostly mended.
I miss rolling my own, and if it weren't for the health risks I could start again tomorrow....
I'll always be an 'ex' smoker, never a non-smoker

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Still a smoker, gave up the premade fags when they went over a quid for 20 and swapped to 'roll-ups'.

I did however stop smoking for 3 months after my 2nd op on the leg but used a 'vape' thingy, couldn't wait for the end of the 3 months though.

gbb

Legendary Member
My wife has smoked for around 40 years and has no intention whatsoever of stopping.
Like PeteXXX my wife smokes outside, probably due to my moaning. I worry what it will do to her in the end but it's her life and I can't stop her.
I've smoked for a few years at a time but gave up maybe 6 years ago and not had one since, barring secondary smoke. Her cigs don't even make me think about trying again but I can see why it might for some.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I gave up in 2012 after numerous attemtps, but as Drago said, I really wanted to do it this time. I havn't had a single cigarette since, but i also consider myself an ex smoker, not a non smoker as I always fear that given the right circumstances (or the wrong ones) i could be tempted to have just one. Normally i never even think of smoking, but there are rare times when i do. They tend to be very random times as well, but after a few minutes the feeling just switches itself off again. Thank god as well, as i never want to smoke again.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
It took me many attempts to pack in, but I finally managed it about 10 years ago.
I'm one of those ex smokers who can't stand the smell of it, mostly.

There is a uni department near my office, I have to walk down a lane to get into college. A lad used to smoke outside. I found the smell of his fag smoke very nice. I asked him one day- Lambert & Butler. I'd gone over to these before I stopped as they were cheaper. He has since given up too.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I used to smoke. It took me years to quit, my downfall each time was the classic "just one won't hurt."

I still have moments when I want a cigarette and always have Nicorette lozenges handy to help out. Sitting in the evening sun after a long day touring with a glass of whisky, cognac or whatever - it would easy to slip backwards but I know this time I really have kicked it even though the urge does reawaken from time to time.

D

Deleted member 1258

I stopped in 1977 after 10 or 11 years, I'd been having lots of coughs, colds and general chest problems, went cold turky. Two years later I sold my old motorbike and returned to cycling.

Top Bottom