Smoking in cars to be banned.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
About time too.
It seems crazy that it is still allowed when it is clearly a distraction to drivers when they decide to open a fag packet, take one out, light it, and then use one hand to hold it. Not to mention health risks to passengers.

Sadly it looks like the law will only be coming into force in England to begin with, but there are proposals to bring in similar laws in Scotland and Wales.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
On the other hand, I encounter enough crazy drivers already without having to deal with ones having a nicotine deficiency problem.

Drivers will still be able to light up if there aren't any kids in the car, so it's not going to make a massive difference so far as distracted driving goes.

tyred

Legendary Member
Yes, and I was under the impression that you shouldn't use a mobile phone while driving, you're supposed to have a full compliment of working lights, you're supposed to keep a safe distance behind other vehicles, not overtake when not safe to do so, stop at junctions/traffic lights, not park on double yellow lines....

What is the point of bringing in new laws when the powers that be don't even bother to enforce the existing laws?

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Drivers will still be able to light up if there aren't any kids in the car, so it's not going to make a massive difference so far as distracted driving goes.
Ahh, missed that bit. That'll teach me to read things properly. So it's the usual half baked nonsense and not worth the paper it's written on :rolleyes:.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Surely if they are going to do it a total ban would be the way to go, I never understand people who smoke anyway
As a smoker who enjoys a ciggie behind the wheel, I say Phaaaaaaaf to you, Sir.

I don't understand why people drink alcohol but I'd never deny them the right to do so, despite the damage and the mess many of them cause and the drain on A&E departments from Thursday to Sunday because they can't control their intake.

screenman

Legendary Member
I was suprised on the caravan forum that so many people were angry about the drink driving level being lowered in Scotland.

Col5632

Guru
As a smoker who enjoys a ciggie behind the wheel, I say Phaaaaaaaf to you, Sir.

I don't understand why people drink alcohol but I'd never deny them the right to do so, despite the damage and the mess many of them cause and the drain on A&E departments from Thursday to Sunday because they can't control their intake.

Couldn't agree more with you on the drinking part, surely you must see that lighting a ciggie behind the wheel and only using 1 hand (howver good you are at it) is dangerous?

Shortmember

Bickerton Cyclocross Racing Team groupie
It can only be a matter of time before breaking wind in a vehicle while carrying passengers is deemed a criminal offence, because of the health and safety hazards of passive fart sniffing, or some such nonsense.

Top Bottom