Smoking - or not!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mythste

Veteran
So! I'm a week clear. Went from 5 years of 15-20 a day to cold turkey and physically, I feel great. My head is clear, my sense of taste and smell are definitely returning, stairs (and the bike, of course!) are feeling less like Everest each and every day.

What I am struggling with, however, is I have the blues! I've never suffered with depression and I don't know if how I'm feeling can even be described as depression but I feel fecking miserable and don't want to be around anyone and can barely drag my sorry lazy ass out of bed in the morning.

The only thing that's changed is that I've stopped smoking! I guess what I'm asking is have any of you stopped smoking before and encountered similar things? I've zero desire to smoke again, but I should also use some advice on how to feel like me again!

Any and all help appreciated

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
There's a couple of long running Smoking threads HERE and HERE.
Worth a read

Last edited:
OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
For a quick nicotine 'hit' try a salad with tomatoes and peppers, just try and avoid spuds (all of these contain nicotine)
Your body is going through 'withdrawal' symptoms

I'd done quite a bit of reading about the physical withdrawal, just wasnt aware the mental would be this tough!

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Pull yourself together, man, and just get on with it!

This post brought to you by 'The Stiff Upper Lip Society' :thumbsup:

(well, you did ask for 'any and all help')

On a more serious note I'm afraid I can't help with your question sorry, I've never smoked.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
When i stopped smoking i did put on a bit of weight, I think it was comfort eating so watch what you eat. Not trying to depress you more, well done it can be hard.:thumbsup:

Butty1972

Rule #5.
7 years clear now, after 20+ years of 10-20 a day... Never felt better... you will get over this, it's only a few more days and you'll have a day when you don;t think abotu smoking... then you'll have a week.... I've got to the stage where I think "Oh yes, I used to smoke didn't I?"

tyred

Legendary Member
You've stopped taking a mental stimulant so there will be a period of re-adjustment as your brain chemicals sort themselves out to what they should be.

Congratulations, you've done the hard part and it will only get better and better from here:thumbsup: Soon you'll smell a smoker from 20 yards away and be thanking your lucky stars that you no longer smell like that.

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
Rule #5.
7 years clear now, after 20+ years of 10-20 a day... Never felt better... you will get over this, it's only a few more days and you'll have a day when you don;t think abotu smoking... then you'll have a week.... I've got to the stage where I think "Oh yes, I used to smoke didn't I?"

I've cracked rule 5 for getting on the bike in any weather, It's the sitting at the office desk thats hard now! Who knew.

I've also yet to develop a cough which im attributing to being still relatively active for a smoker, but if that comes as well I'm gonna be fuming!

Read Alan Carr' book. It was remarkable for me. I felt absolutely crap too but reading his book lifted that. It would seem that you feel low as you think you are being deprived of the cigarettes. Once you accept that you are being deprived of nothing the low mood lifts. It did for me anyway. My fall back was this. I would get up and say today I'm not smoking but if I feel like one I'll take it. I am not off the cigarettes I'm just not smoking at the minute. Guess what my mood lifted no end and I didn't smoke. I never told a soul either so that way there was no pressure on me. It was my little secret. Still works for me.. Well done on getting so far and don't knock yourself if you have a slip up. Just try again. Simples...:bravo:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I've cracked rule 5 for getting on the bike in any weather, It's the sitting at the office desk thats hard now! Who knew.

I've also yet to develop a cough which im attributing to being still relatively active for a smoker, but if that comes as well I'm gonna be fuming!

You don't necessarily develop a cough. Thats a fallacy.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
You've stopped taking a mental stimulant so there will be a period of re-adjustment as your brain chemicals sort themselves out to what they should be.

Congratulations, you've done the hard part and it will only get better and better from here:thumbsup: Soon you'll smell a smoker from 20 yards away and be thanking your lucky stars that you no longer smell like that.

^^^^^^^
Wot 'e said. :thumbsup:

Slioch

Guru
You're doing great - hang in there and stick with it. Trust me, it will be sooooooo worth it in a short while when you "come out of the woods". I gave up a year ago, and I've never felt fitter than I do now when out on my bike. :thumbsup:

If you feel you need motivation to keep you going, then I'll tell you what worked for me. I "banked" the money I saved on fags, and promised myself that after 6 months I could buy my carbon dream machine with the money saved, which I did. Every time I felt I was having a wobble I just focused on the bike I was going to get and it kept me going.

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
You're doing great - hang in there and stick with it. Trust me, it will be sooooooo worth it in a short while when you "come out of the woods". I gave up a year ago, and I've never felt fitter than I do now when out on my bike. :thumbsup:

If you feel you need motivation to keep you going, then I'll tell you what worked for me. I "banked" the money I saved on fags, and promised myself that after 6 months I could buy my carbon dream machine with the money saved, which I did. Every time I felt I was having a wobble I just focused on the bike I was going to get and it kept me going.

It's a weird one, because I literally have no desire to smoke. The cravings are well under control and the smell is starting to knock me sick (I know, I know, how did I never smell that before?!)

Even managed a pint without going stir crazy over the weekend, I smoked a LOT when I was drinking previously. Spending pennies saved on commuting gear in Feb, as long as I stay clean. Which I'm quietly confident I will :smile:

What @tyred mentioned about my chemical imbalance makes a bit of sense. Just wondering if it's 'owt to worry about I guess.

Top Bottom