Smoking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Congratulations!

You won't look back.

I loved smoking and still occasionally miss it (after 18 years) but I'm jolly glad I don't do it.

Keep it up.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Well done Chris. GF and I gave up 2 years last Feb. I used gum and lozenges. She tried the gum hated it and just went for it. Both of have never felt better. I always had a cough for Christmas and thought it was normal. Haven't had on for 2 years now :becool:.

compo

Veteran
There are a load of figures around for how soon your heart attack risk drops, how soon your cancer risk drops, and so on, but there's one thing you can be sure of ... you're already smelling better!!

The smell is something I really notice now, especially when on a bus and a smoker gets on who has been smoking whilst waiting for the bus. You can smell him/her the length of the bus. It's an awful realisation that I used to smell like that.

Gaz Vickers

Yeah i wa
The smell is something I really notice now, especially when on a bus and a smoker gets on who has been smoking whilst waiting for the bus. You can smell him/her the length of the bus. It's an awful realisation that I used to smell like that.
Yeah, although i was aware i used to smell! lol, its until you stop that you realise just how much it stinks!

OP
OP
Chris Myers

Chris Myers

Once again,thanks everyone,all these messages keep me going.
I did a 60 miler with ease today so I'm already benefitting,no out of breathless like I used to get.
Been off work (hols) for 9 days,back in tommorow so another test,bring it on :-)

Octet

Veteran
How was the day back?

OP
OP
Chris Myers

Chris Myers

Day back was a breeze thanks,didn't have a craving at all,took gum and inhalator that I had on perscription yesterday but didn't
use them :rolleyes:

Peteaud

Veteran
Well done

I found once i got to over a week it did get easier and my pig headed "i am not smoking" really helped.

One of the best bits of advice i was given (on this forum actually) was if i got a craving have a drink of water, dont know why but it did help.

Keep up the good work and best wishes.

OP
OP
Chris Myers

Chris Myers

Hi again,,A wee update,it's been 13 weeks today,July 31st since I last smoked.I now consider myself a non smoker!I've found it pretty easy,the urges went after 2 weeks,after that I've had none.
I joined a gym,I go there 4 times a week,want to hit the ground running next year,aiming to do a few 100 milers.Managed 84 miles in September with ease.:bicycle:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I quickly caught the cycling bug and I was soon doing regular 20-75 mile rides but being a smoker since I was 18 I'd find myself stopping every hour or so for a puff.

crikey! I'm 43, been smoking since teenage years and can manage 40 miles with just one smoke during my obligatory 'pint stop', and that's habitual due to the presence of cold lager

I also find it hard to even want to smoke for a good hour after i return from a good ride.

Well done on giving up though... we'll all be joining you sooner or later.

I can abstain for hours and hours with no problem, it's just the never again concept i shy away from.

RWright

Guru
Hi again,,A wee update,it's been 13 weeks today,July 31st since I last smoked.I now consider myself a non smoker!I've found it pretty easy,the urges went after 2 weeks,after that I've had none.
I joined a gym,I go there 4 times a week,want to hit the ground running next year,aiming to do a few 100 milers.Managed 84 miles in September with ease.:bicycle:

Very well done. I think you will be doinging the 100 milers with ease too.

Top Bottom