Smooth Radio

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smudge

Veteran
When I was a young Bobby Talk Radio leaped into existence, and I spent many a short listening to that. They then ruined it by making it Talk Sport.

I used to listen to TR a lot back in the 90's. Tommy Boyd, Ian Collins and the creatures of the night, Caesar the geezer, to name just a few of the presenters i remember. It was a great talk radio station and it pissed me off no end when it became Talk Sport.
The station is back on DAB. I've tuned in a few times but it seems a pale imitation from its original days on AM. I can even remember the frequency 1053-89, which was also their phone number.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I sometimes listen to Smooth in the car (the ads can be annoying) when R2 is trying to get down with the kids and playing something that should be on R1 in the remote hours of the day.

My Station of choice at home is Radio Paradise, usually The Mellow Mix, but I do listen to The Main Mix as well.

Its an Internet US station, no ads no annoying DJs, if you enjoy it you can donate, you don't have to.
Radio Paradise is very, very good.
https://radioparadise.com/player

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I used to listen to TR a lot back in the 90's. Tommy Boyd, Ian Collins and the creatures of the night, Caesar the geezer, to name just a few of the presenters i remember. It was a great talk radio station and it pissed me off no end when it became Talk Sport.
The station is back on DAB. I've tuned in a few times but it seems a pale imitation from its original days on AM. I can even remember the frequency 1053-89, which was also their phone number.
Tommy Boyd was great. I miss him, not sure why no one else has employed him.

Smudge

Veteran
Tommy Boyd was great. I miss him, not sure why no one else has employed him.

He did go to Southern Counties Radio for while, i remember sometimes catching his show back when i was wagon driving. He also did a spot of only a few shows on the new Talk Radio around a year or two back. I remember making a point of listening to it after it being mentioned on Digital Spy. But i really would like to see him back on TR regularly.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I keep hearing good things about Devon's Radio Exe. This thread prompted me to look into them, and they are one of the very few independently owned (ie not Bauer or Global) UK stations left.
Is or was run by Paul Nero, whom I once tackled about an anti-cyclist diatribe in the local press. He gave me a slot to be interviewed and put the other side. I assume it went out. I never listen to local radio so never heard it.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Is or was run by Paul Nero, whom I once tackled about an anti-cyclist diatribe in the local press. He gave me a slot to be interviewed and put the other side. I assume it went out. I never listen to local radio so never heard it.
Well done for having a go. Our local rag, the Eastern Daily Press, has anti-cycling nonsense all the time. I've learnt now to just ignore it- not good for my blood pressure.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I can even remember the frequency 1053-89,
Going back a little further (!) those were the Radio 1 frequencies before it made the giant leap onto FM.. Originally it was 247 metres on MW, then 275/285 which presumably is the same as 1053/1089 khz.. I still remember Radio 1 moving to FM in the mid 80's, I thought it was the best thing ever. Now I wouldn't listen to Radio 1 if I was paid to. :laugh:

Smudge

Veteran
Going back a little further (!) those were the Radio 1 frequencies before it made the giant leap onto FM.. Originally it was 247 metres on MW, then 275/285 which presumably is the same as 1053/1089 khz.. I still remember Radio 1 moving to FM in the mid 80's, I thought it was the best thing ever. Now I wouldn't listen to Radio 1 if I was paid to. :laugh:

Yes it was the old R1 frequency. I only came across Talk Radio because around that time i had a job driving a tipper that only had an MW/LW radio. The reception going in and out on that frequency was bloody annoying though, i was constantly re-tuning to get the best reception when an interesting topic was on TR.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
tbh. other than news & traffic news I havent listened to proper radio for a long time. If i do its more Capital Gold for the classics.

I used to be an avid X-FM listener (infact i just found out they call themselves 'Radio X' now...) but i stopped listening in when they stopped doing alternative music and more mainstream music to pull in listeners.

JPBoothy

Veteran
I struggle to follow what the DJ's are even saying (not a bad thing though) as they speak so quickly and pronounce everything so badly. I'm so glad that I'm not 'cool' because all of the 'cool' stuff tends to piss me off :becool:

Mike_P

Guru
Not only are playlists limited on many stations but presenters / DJs are highly scripted so often come across with a complete lack of originality. Bauer went on a purchasing spree last year and North Yorkshire amongst many other places has local commercial stations facing a probable bleak future. Yorkshire Coast Radio (Scarborough) has a massive audience while Stray FM (Harrogate) was voted the third best local station, behind two BBC ones, earlier this year.

Top Bottom