Smooth Radio

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Mrs A_T likes Simon Mayo's slot on Scala Radio.

ozboz

Guru
When it comes to DJ ‘s I always liked Andy Peebles , he worked at Radio Piccadilly Manchester back in 74’ he’s moved around a bit since then , he had a Soul Train slot I really liked

stephec

Legendary Member
I used to listen to TR a lot back in the 90's. Tommy Boyd, Ian Collins and the creatures of the night, Caesar the geezer, to name just a few of the presenters i remember. It was a great talk radio station and it pissed me off no end when it became Talk Sport.
The station is back on DAB. I've tuned in a few times but it seems a pale imitation from its original days on AM. I can even remember the frequency 1053-89, which was also their phone number.
I used to like it in those days as well.

Ian Collins always seemed like a decent sort of bloke, whereas Tommy Boyd used to sound like he was playing it for laughs, deliberately saying something provocative so that people would ring up and rant at him, then he'd wind them up even more.

It could make him look a little bit irritating, but he was good at his job. 😂

Does anyone remember John Gaunt's show on there, what a bellend he was?

Beebo

Firm and Fruity

Ian Collins always seemed like a decent sort of bloke, whereas Tommy Boyd used to sound like he was playing it for laughs, deliberately saying something provocative so that people would ring up and rant at him, then he'd wind them up even more.

I remember Tommy Boyd doing a section about husbands being allowed to have affairs to keep a relationship fresh. It was clearly a bit of a jokey wind up, but a lady rang in who was extremely disturbed and suicidal as a result of an affair.
The way he handled the situation was very good, and he calmed her down but Maybe he misjudged the initial topic.
And Gaunt is a low rent shock jock.

Smudge

Veteran

Yes, that was exactly what his show was like. I did make entertaining listening though.
Some of the topics were ridiculously surreal, like..... 'Why do we need legs' .... He would then start the show with a lengthy and often convincing opinion of why we didn't. There were always the callers that would take these subjects far too seriously.
Then he had the fake callers, like Simon from Basingstoke, who was a rabid homophobe and would always have some diatribe about gay people. Only to further wind up the genuine callers that called in after.

stephec

Legendary Member
Yes, that was exactly what his show was like. I did make entertaining listening though.
Some of the topics were ridiculously surreal, like..... 'Why do we need legs' .... He would then start the show with a lengthy and often convincing opinion of why we didn't. There were always the callers that would take these subjects far too seriously.
Then he had the fake callers, like Simon from Basingstoke, who was a rabid homophobe and would always have some diatribe about gay people. Only to further wind up the genuine callers that called in after.
The funniest one I remember was when he announced that right handed people made better drivers as they were usually right footed as well, and so could control the pedals better.

Within minutes he had a queue of people raging along the lines of, 'I'm left handed and been driving thirty years without an accident.' 😂😂😂

stephec

Legendary Member
He lives near me. A generous dose of small man syndrome if ever there was.
Yeah but he's Gaunty, he had a column in The Sun newspaper, and he drove a Jag, plus he grew up in Coventry in the seventies and eighties with loads of black mates.

He's an absolute legend, he says so himself.

Drago

Legendary Member
On BBC Three Counties they used to have the Ern and Vern show. One of the regular callers, whom I believe may have been genuine, was a rather effeminate chap called Dave. Inevitably he was christened Camp David, and seemed to revel in it. One south American lady was nicknamed the Cracker from Caracas, and she too became a regular caller.

It was a great show, sadly pulled after that twit Jonathan Toss and that dirty long haired idiot did their wheeze with Andrew Sachs. Shame, because Ern and Vern were a lighthearted pith take with no nastiness or malice, and somehow just managed to stay on the safe side of tasteful.

Last edited:

Smudge

Veteran
A few years ago i bought an internet/DAB radio. I've never used the internet radio on it, as there just isn't enough time for me to listen to stations all round the world, on top of the 7 or 8 DAB stations i already listen to.
Yet another pointless thing i bought while looking through HotUkDeals.

Mike_P

Guru
A few years ago i bought an internet/DAB radio. I've never used the internet radio on it, as there just isn't enough time for me to listen to stations all round the world, on top of the 7 or 8 DAB stations i already listen to.
You only need one station on it for it be worthwhile and a number have been mentioned in the thread, you don't have to listen to all the available stations,

Top Bottom