SMRbtL - 3rd October ex Southend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mike e

Welcome to a new series of rides to complement the Friday night rides.
Saturday Morning Ride back to London
This thread is for those hardy souls who turn round and ride back the way they've come.

And so following a lovely breakfast, our goodbyes were said and our mini peleton departed The Rose at approximately 08:30am. Our group consisted of ride leader topcat1, topcat2, Sig, Lee, Steve, Andy, Ian, Teef and myself. We headed back along the front against the very strong wind only stopping for roadworks!
x60p47.jpg

8zimvr.jpg

We stopped at the headland for more photos and a daylight view
34q2v05.jpg

As we moved more inland the wind became less of a problem, yer right, but we made good time. We parted company with Steve and Lee who headed home and carried on along through Stanhope, across the marshes east of Tilbury, where we experienced desert like conditions thanks to the wind. All the way our expert leader guided us with his expertise and local route knowledge, we were definately in safe hands...
10hu1r5.jpg

At Grays we chose a lovely spot for a break and Teef made himself at home
20ho9dk.jpg

Near to the Dartford crossing Ian and Andy headed home as we carried on through the industrial splendour's of Purfleet finally arriving at the rather nice RSPB centre for another quick break. Back on track and our ride leader was very assertive as to where we should sit...
1z31cmo.jpg

It was becoming quite a ride and the hills were getting tiresome
fawgah.jpg

The lovely Thames Path took us to Rainham where Sig left us, it was now route 1 to central London with TC1, TC2 Teef and myself. Dagenham, Barking, East Ham (goodbye TC2) West Ham and straight into town down the A13. By now there were concerns over making it to KX so I said my goodbyes to tc1 and Teef and buried myself to make it to KX on time. Train left at 13:48...
k0ijrb.jpg

But when I got inside the station....
34exc0x.jpg

So I had to catch a later train which gave me time to buy some beers for a celebration drink on the way home.

Great ride everyone, see at the next SMRbtL...:boxing:

"Dear Sir,
Would it be alright if I called you a person of dubious parentage? Or is it better if I use the shortcut so prevalent these days and say, you 6a$tard?"

Hello mikee - great report. Dave and I watched your face as you looked at the departures board...(We arrived at Kings Cross at 13:32 - thanks to Dave's short cut knowledge of the city.) But never mind - you looked absolutely 'buried' so we didn't console you - we just finished our bottle of champagne and left quietly, hoping that life oop North wasn't going to be too much of a struggle for you...

stevevw

Guru
Lee and I had a good Mouseketeer ride home :ohmy:. I should have listened to Teef when he told me about Lee and motorways :evil:. When we left you all at Pitsea I knew we had to go back down the hill and turn left, but when we got down no left turn was to be found. I thought we needed to get on the flyover and head north so we cycled up towards the A13 At this point I said to Lee “This can not be right we are heading Southwest”. Lee thought we should come off the slip road and go back to Tesco and have a look at a map in the petrol station. This we did, Lee convinced me that we indeed did need the A13 heading for London then the A127, to be on the safe side I asked one of the assistants the way to Brentwood she said “A13 to the place you stop for something to eat” :evil: I should have at that point insisted we went Northwest rather than Southwest but hay ho it’s all an adventure. We then had 7 miles up hill straight in to what felt like a hurricane on the A13 with trucks skimming inch’s past us. (See, true Mouseketter riding) We indeed did stop at “the place you stop for something to eat”. After that we had a nice ride up to Brentwood, Ongar (no chance of being stopped for speeding today :smile:), North Weald Basset and on to Harlow where I wanted to go left but Lee wanted to carry on to the A414. I know this area well, I was not about to have another 10 miles on duel carriage way so we shouted our goodbyes and I headed on to some nice country lanes with hardly any traffic to Roydon, Stanstead Abbots and Amwell End where I had a short stop near Scots grotto over looking the New river :tongue:, Ware Hertford and Home. I pulled in to the drive and my heart sunk as our car was not there which meant Sandra had gone out and I did not have a door key with me. I tried round the back with no luck so decided to have a nap on the doorstep for an hour while I waited for her return. As you can imagine this gave her a good laugh.

I have since had a look where we went wrong. We should have taken the next exit on the roundabout after the A13 and on to the A132. The road that went left after all, this would have saved us around 12 miles.

Thanks to Mikee for showing me the way to HPC from KX and the rest of you for another great ride.

Good effort Steve - like me, you make a good windbreak! He's a boy that Lee...I bet you had a good dose of watching his head go from side to side as he activated 'Furious pedalling mode' - zig zagging in and out of the circulation. Been there - seen that! :evil:
I bet your pins were aching the next day too!

stevevw

Guru
Lee
You should have said you where in pain. I would have forced you to come to my place on the nice quite FLAT roads and then given you a lift home in the van.

User3143 said:
but next time when riding into a headwind for 35 odd miles take your 'turn' ;)

Yeah righto as if drafting my 23mm rear wheel would have helped you way down there on the ground. :biggrin: If you where on a normal bike the benefit would have been huge following the mobile windbreak that is my body. :evil:
I must say my toes felt the benefit of drafting you every time they reached the bottom of the pedal stroke. :biggrin:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
User3143 said:
that was probably the hardest ride I ever done on a bike/trike. The wind was relentless, the A414 dull, poorly maintained and speaking in general terms - shoot.

I shall quote this the next time Teef and MikeEEEE are extolling the virtues of the SMRbtL over breakfast...

OP
OP
M

mike e

theclaud said:
I shall quote this the next time Teef and MikeEEEE are extolling the virtues of the SMRbtL over breakfast...

Ah yes, but this was after they left us to head north and home, our route on the other hand was most delightful................ish...;)

ChrisKH

Guru
theclaud said:

To be fair (it was very nice to meet you btw) any other day and it would have been very pleasant. This was the 1 day in 365 not to attempt an East-West crossing of the Essex desert. I'm glad I got the train that day.

stevevw

Guru
mike e said:
Ah yes, but this was after they left us to head South before heading North and home, our route on the other hand was most delightful................ish...;)

Corrected that for you Mike

theclaud

Openly Marxist
ChrisKH said:
To be fair (it was very nice to meet you btw) any other day and it would have been very pleasant. This was the 1 day in 365 not to attempt an East-West crossing of the Essex desert. I'm glad I got the train that day.

Nice to meet you too, Chris. The point is that we knew everything we needed to know about the wind speed and direction before they set off. And they still went. Nutters.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
And didn't my thighs know it the next day.... ;)

theclaud said:
Nice to meet you too, Chris. The point is that we knew everything we needed to know about the wind speed and direction before they set off. And they still went. Nutters.

OP
OP
M

mike e

theclaud said:

Oop north the wind we experienced on Saturday would be classed as a gentle breeze...;)

ianrauk said:
And didn't my thighs know it the next day.... :evil:

Yes - mine too...I had to go for a (some people might put "recovery ride" here) spin around some posh houses with lovely front gardens in order that pricking envy displaced the ache...:evil: A lovely feeling, and grit exfoliation leaves a nice neat line across the forehead!

Top Bottom