Snails and beertraps.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
You need the following items:
jack_daniels1.jpg

1050535_veranda-600.jpg

loadingspringer1.jpg

Arch

Married to Night Train
rich p said:
Mrs rich p has started using a copper strip product which you wrap around the top of pots. So far so good and the hostas are doing well and the slugs and snails usually destroy them.

Plus, your plants don't suffer from rheumatism so badly...:smile:

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
lukesdad said:
The eggshells need to be finer than that blitz em in a liquidiser. If its decomposing leaves thats whats attracting them, they prefer to dine on rotting vegitation than living stuff. Also remove any cover they ve got to hide under,

It's just cat hair and badly scrunched eggshells, not much in the way of dead vegetation at all. So I'll leave the eggshells and do a better job next time. It's just a concrete yard with nothing much tasty for them - mint, bay, rocket, oak and beech.

Do snails like Ouzo fennel?

Crankarm

Guru
I tried beer, salt and sand but there were too many of them. It was costing me a fortune in beer and salt at the local supermarket. In the end, reluctantly, the only thing that worked were slug pellets, lots of them. The first few nights I went out into the garden at 1am to try to find out what was eating everything I found the garden was under attack, heaving with snails and slugs slurping and chomping through my bedding plants and other plants. I couldn't believe it. I spent a good hour and half filling a bucket with the feckers into which I poured a whole 1kg container of salt and 3/4 filled it with water. Boy did the monsters squeal :thumbsup:.

montage

God Almighty
slowmotion said:
Which scope is that? Is it good?

No idea - all I did was google "air rifle"

Davidc

Guru
Twenty Inch said:
Torch and scissors does it for me. Cut them in half.

I've heard that if you do that or squash snails the unlaid eggs can still hatch. Don't know if it's correct though.

I go out at about 10:30 pm a couple of times a week, I use an old pair of wooden tweezers - kept for the job, don't know where they came from - to put them in the garden waste recycling bin. That way they have a last feast on their way to being turned into compost :biggrin:. It seems to keep them down. Still use sharp sand around snail delicacy plants, and also use beer traps with the cheapest proper beer I can get from Lidl. Copper tape round containers works too.

Zippy

Yeah - don't waste your Speckled Hen! The other thing is not to be so generous with the slug pellets as once the poison leaches out of them, they sit there as food attractants for more slugs - which is why they eat them. Little and often and well spaced out is the key with these and dose the whole plot correctly two weeks before you plant anything to clear them out beforetime. Organic wildlife friendly ones are just as good if not better and cheaper.

Is this a cycling or gardening forum? I don't mind as I do both!

Top Bottom