snake oil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abitrary

Has anyone ever bought those clean and lube in one chain oils, like prolink, for example?

They've got about as much lube effect as GT40 or one of the spray ones, and yes, if you do inspect your chain from time to time, it looks less oily.

But having used it for the last 6 months, and switching back to normal heavier stuff, it's like freewheeling again. I just think it's a con.

When I bought my road bike I was advised white lightning. It was good at cleaning but I was later advised it was a useless lubricant and prone to washing off. I never really gave it a chance and stopped using it. It sounds like your experience concurs with others.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

The biggest con about them is that they make out that using them with any other product completely negates them.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Chuffy said:
Purple Extreme anyone? :sad::biggrin:!:biggrin::biggrin:!

"Originally Designed To Run Chains In Salt Water – Will Not Wash Off In Rain, Mud Or Snow"

hahahaha, prolink also claims stuff like that, i.e. designed to work in machinery like conveyor belts that can never be turned off,.

andygates

Well that makes them impractical unless you're a clean-n-lube nut. These are bikes we're talking about.

Tynan

Veteran
'snake oil' does sound like a hint

reminds of cleaner/wetter for contact lenses

can't see how one thing can do for two such distinct if not opposite functions

Top Bottom